IGNORED

Anyone using an Arai Profile Helmet?

Endobob

After a 1 & 1/2 year hiatus I am getting back on the saddle. I had an Arai Signet GT that I need to replace (served me well in a crash) and find that it has been replaced with a new model called the "Profile".

Arai claims it has less noise and is lighter that the previous GT model. Anyone using one?

CruisinCruzan

I think they changed the basic shell shape. I have a L Signet GT-R that is very comfortable yet the same size Profile puts significant pressure on the upper, lateral aspect of my scalp and the XL is too loose.

I had a Signet and replaced it with a Profile three months ago. Bruce from Arai helped me with the fit and sizing.

I don't know that the Profile is a great deal quieter or lighter than my old Signet. The new rear vent mechanism is easier to operate. Unlike the Signet which required special shields, the Profile uses the same shields as the rest of the Arai line.

I highly recommend finding someone who know how to fit helmets - it'll save you a world of grief later. It's not just helmet size, but the thickness of the cheek pads and the other pads that can make a helmet fit perfectly...or poorly.

At a dealer recently, I tried on a Profile in the same size as my 4 year old Signet GT. I was unpleasantly surprised at the very different (i.e., bad for me) fit. bncry.gif

FWIW, I have not found ANY helmet (so far...) that provides the excellent comfort and venting that the Signet does...at least for my "long oval" cranium. thumbsup.gif

YMMV

At a dealer recently, I tried on a Profile in the same size as my 4 year old Signet GT. I was unpleasantly surprised at the very different (i.e., bad for me) fit. bncry.gif

FWIW, I have not found ANY helmet (so far...) that provides the excellent comfort and venting that the Signet does...at least for my "long oval" cranium. thumbsup.gif

YMMV

Thank you all for your input. I have been told that the basic shape of the Signet changed so that the face sheilds for the other Arai helmets can be utilized on the new Profile. I have not found a better fit for my head/shape than the previous Signet GT model. I spoke with a "Christie" at the Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach, FL and she stated that 3 of the last 4 prior Signet GT users felt the new Profile model did not fit as well as their current Signet helmet.

I found a shop here in the DC area that has them in stock and will try them out tomorrow.

Bob,

Before you make an expensive mistake contact Robert at The Service Pavillion. I believe they are in the Wash/Balt area. They are exclusive Arai dealers and will treat you well. I highly reccommend them.

Gil Horsley

I currently wear an Arai Astral and have been told by an Arai representative that the Profile, like the Astral, fit those with an "Oval Shaped Head" better than those with a "Round Head."

I was fitted for a profile at the Atlanta Cycle World Show and found it to be very comfortable for my oval shaped head. I was very impressed by it.

I switched to a Profile from an RX-7RR4 after 5 years. The guys from Service Pavilion told me that my head shape is more oval than round and that the Profile would be quieter. And after about 2K miles, I must agree. It is a little quieter and it fits well. I did have a problem with the nose guard/breath deflector, it rubbed on my nose. I called Arai's service department and they sent me a insert spacer for the vent opening in the chinbar. That fixed the problem with the red nose.

My only other complaint is that it likes to fog up easier on moist mornings, until you get up to speed.

Also my glasses fit a little better then in my old Arai.

Bob,

Before you make an expensive mistake contact Robert at The Service Pavillion. I believe they are in the Wash/Balt area. They are exclusive Arai dealers and will treat you well. I highly reccommend them.

Gil Horsley

Gil,

I can't seem to locate a web site or phone number for "The Service Pavillion" My web search seems to indicate that it maybe Arai's representative that you sometimes see at AMA sponsored motorcycle races or at other motorcycle shows. Do you have anymore information on how I might contact "Robert"?

Bob,

Welcome back. I'm glad everything is going well enough for you to be helmet shopping. More importantly than the helmet, what's to be your new ride?

Tom

TracerBullet

I had a Signet GT for 5 years and had the same problem... The Profile does not fit me. I went up and saw the folks at The Service Pavillion (they are in New Holland PA.) which is above Lancaster. I ended up with the Astral and it fits much better.

I am very happy with it. The air flow is much better than my GT and the noise is about the same. The only difficulty I have is if I am running with the sheild up all the way I get a resonation in the helmet that I do not like

sal

I had a Signet GT for 5 years and had the same problem... The Profile does not fit me. I went up and saw the folks at The Service Pavillion (they are in New Holland PA.) which is above Lancaster. I ended up with the Astral and it fits much better.

I am very happy with it. The air flow is much better than my GT and the noise is about the same. The only difficulty I have is if I am running with the sheild up all the way I get a resonation in the helmet that I do not like

sal

I tried on an Astral X yesterday and I am thinking it may be better for me than the new Profile as well. I sure like the Profile but it sure doesn't fit me like the Signet GT did.

Archived