IGNORED

Final Drive Test?

Sonor

While talking with a friend I mentioned that my bike on a straight, no bumps, no gear changes road would on rare occasion make a "thack" noise.  The noise somewhat resembles that of the kick stand springing up but not the same and the other side of the bike.  He said to set the bike up on the center stand and attempt to move the rear tire left and right by grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3.  Then to try and do it at 6 and 12.  He said if it moves a little in both then get it checked out.  If it moves just a little in one of the directions it could be the seal but he was unsure of which direction.

Questions: Does the noise seem symptomatic of a FD failure?  Is my friend correct about the testing?  If so, if only move in one of the directions is it truly just a seal?

3 hours ago, Sonor said:

While talking with a friend I mentioned that my bike on a straight, no bumps, no gear changes road would on rare occasion make a "thack" noise.  The noise somewhat resembles that of the kick stand springing up but not the same and the other side of the bike.  He said to set the bike up on the center stand and attempt to move the rear tire left and right by grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3.  Then to try and do it at 6 and 12.  He said if it moves a little in both then get it checked out.  If it moves just a little in one of the directions it could be the seal but he was unsure of which direction.

Questions: Does the noise seem symptomatic of a FD failure?  Is my friend correct about the testing?  If so, if only move in one of the directions is it truly just a seal?

Afternoon Sonor

Questions:

Does the noise seem symptomatic of a FD failure?-- No that sounds more like something is loose.  

Is my friend correct about the testing?  If so, if only move in one of the directions is it truly just a seal?-- NO, your friend is mis-informed,  the hexhead manual gives you some rear wheel movement 3/9 & 6/12   (1mm at wheel rim )  cold as being normal . (this if for the final drive part) --The seal won't / can't make it loose as the seal ONLY seals the gear oil in. 

If you have any movement in the  final drive-- to-- the swing arm or in swing arm-- to-- transmission then that is  not normal & should be checked out.