IGNORED

Fuel pump replace...re-calibrate????

KDeline

On a 2009 R1200RT, 27000 miles. Fuel pump quick disconnect on housing flange broke. New warranty pump in 2014. Running fine, next startup broke in two, nice large gas spill. (How the heck does this happen? I have never touched it so I could not have force anything.)  Since pump is close to $500.00 thinking of saving on labor. Does not look hard to replace myself,  dealer tells me it needs re-calibrating. What? I know a new fuel strip does, but a pump?  Me thinks BS. Anyone know? Enquiringly minds....

IMG-4906.JPG

IMG-4905.JPG

11 minutes ago, KDeline said:

On a 2009 R1200RT, 27000 miles. Fuel pump quick disconnect on housing flange broke. New warranty pump in 2014. Running fine, next startup broke in two, nice large gas spill. (How the heck does this happen? I have never touched it so I could not have force anything.)  Since pump is close to $500.00 thinking of saving on labor. Does not look hard to replace myself,  dealer tells me it needs re-calibrating. What? I know a new fuel strip does, but a pump?  Me thinks BS. Anyone know? Enquiringly minds....

Evening KDeline

Sounds like BS to me, have them show you where in the service manual that it shows to do a fuel strip re-calibration with new fuel pump assembly replacement  (bet you they can't).

I pretty much knew it, just nice to confirm. So it seems pretty straight forward, re-clamp inside fuel line, plug in fuel strip, place in tank, clamp and plug outside and play. Missing anything?

19 minutes ago, KDeline said:

I pretty much knew it, just nice to confirm. So it seems pretty straight forward, re-clamp inside fuel line, plug in fuel strip, place in tank, clamp and plug outside and play. Missing anything?

Evening KDeline

Pretty straight forward as you mention. No inside fuel line to re-connect though as the inside line is not a fuel line but is the water drain line from the filler cap ring. 

New fuel pump assembly should come with the fuel pump already connected (wired) to the bottom of the pass-through as well as the pump to pass-through outlet  hose connected.  

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Dann said:

The procedure for replacing the fuel pump in the BMW RSD DVD doesn't mention recalibrating the fuel strip

Fuel pump replacement.bmp 1.63 MB · 1 download

Evening Dann

It wouldn't mention the fuel strip (calibration) under fuel pump replace as that isn't part of the fuel pump replacement procedure.

The fuel strip calibration is called out in the procedures under  "Removing and installing or replacing fuel gauge".  

The only interface of the fuel pump assembly to the fuel strip is the electrical passthrough going out through the fuel pump assembly. 

FYI, I did the replacement with a used pump and all is well, no calibration required. I can't fix the fuel quick disconnect shown in the video as it broke under the nut so I have to figure a way to dig out the threaded part of the broken connector. I was thinking of heating a large screwdriver and melting it into the broken threads but there is some gas fumes still coming from that thing.....

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Dann

It wouldn't mention the fuel strip (calibration) under fuel pump replace as that isn't part of the fuel pump replacement procedure.

The fuel strip calibration is called out in the procedures under  "Removing and installing or replacing fuel gauge".  

The only interface of the fuel pump assembly to the fuel strip is the electrical passthrough going out through the fuel pump assembly. 

Good evening DR

I think I misread the OP.

He didn't mention the fuel strip. I think he meant recalibrating  the fuel pump. Sorry

There is no mention of that in the procedure either

Fuel pump replacement.jpg