IGNORED

R18, two more pictures

fourteenfour

That's truly disappointing. BMW made some noise about offering a bike that resembled the R5, but this looks like a Harley. May as well call it the BeemerGlide.

BMW is not the company it once was.

Maybe in a Matte Grey it'd look better...:dontknow: :classic_biggrin: I think the bagger with the street glide (oops) fairing shown earlier will probably be an awesome touring bike, but what's the point.

13 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

but what's the point.

:5147:Think I just got it! Equally offensive tries at the other company's bread & butter. :spittake:

harley-pan-america_h.jpg?itok=K19v6Xan

Those bikes in the pics did not look anything like the ones I saw in pics that had blue tarps partially covering the bikes.  The exposed portions looked promising, but time will tell, I reckon.

Maybe some of those pics are deceiving.  This last one on the crate looks okay.

Anyway, all I can think of, when I see that Harley GS, is that robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Gort_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How boring...same old comments. 

Think back to 2005 when the 1200RT appeared. 

All the comments ... "that is the fugliest bike I have ever seen", "BMW have lost their way". "I am going to hold onto my R1100/1150RT for ever".  Incidentally - deeply offensive to new owners (including me!) of the 1200 who are meant to have thick skins because, hey, this is an internet forum. 

Then the doubters visit the show-room. Many, many utterances of  "Actually it looks much better in person than in the pictures" "Wow, Cruise, ESA, Cases without infernal orange locking tabs" etc.

I suppose the previous comments are all part of some "shoot first, ask questions afterwards" mentality or who can projectile vomit furthest contest.  I can only smile at the peculiar ways of the world/internet. 

I hope the bike appears at the big UK show this upcoming weekend and I shall look forward to seeing it. I think the concept is great and we need more ground-breaking designs like the Victory Vision to stop the biking community becoming stale.

I suspect many American H-D riders are too set on their lifestyle to be tempted by a BMW - it's too refined and not macho enough. However H-D sells extremely well in Germany, so maybe there will be competition there and elsewhere around the globe. It will certainly give Indian & the metric cruiser manufacturers selling in the USA something to think about.

How say you to these controversial comments? BS or....?

• Like 2

Can someone honestly say the front end of the R1200CLC wasn't one of the ugliest that BMW attempted? Well the ST was scary but I still think the CLC was the clear winner so I am hoping their new R18 bagger doesn't bring back the memories

14 minutes ago, CommuterChris said:

Can someone honestly say the front end of the R1200CLC wasn't one of the ugliest that BMW attempted? Well the ST was scary but I still think the CLC was the clear winner so I am hoping their new R18 bagger doesn't bring back the memories

I agree. Man, this is getting boring. :grin: She was an ugly baby for sure! :spittake:

Said the same thing of the K1600B, pictures, nope, seen it in the showroom, nope, sat on it, nope,.....it's not my bag baby!!

It's not aimed at us but this army. If BMW can get 3-8% conquest sales from the cruiser crowd it could be their biggest seller. Kind of reminds me when Porsche decided to build an SUV (Cayenne) the 911 faithful cried foul. It almost immediately made them profitable and allowed all kinds of new product and success that's turned them into a powerhouse these days. Not unlike what the 2002, the original sports sedan, did for BMW in the late 60's. It allowed them to make the 3 series which catapulted them into a major player. 

patriot-guard-riders-riding.jpg

• Like 1

Roadscholar. Excellent thoughts. I love the bike. I've always loved Art Deco. This is an Art Deco bike with all the modern features and a killer, vintage design.

• Will I go see one if it shows up locally? You bet.
  • Will I ride if they let me (I doubt they would for the first few years)? Absolutely.
  • Will I lust after it? Whole-heartedly.
  • Would I buy one? Maybe but only if it came in a tourer configuration (and hopefully with a larger fuel tank). Its just too cold to ride along the central California coast without fairings, heated seats and grips.
  • Would I enjoy it more than my R1100RT for $40K? Probably not but I sure would meet a lot of people. 

Course an alternative to this is Nmoto's R NineT-based 1934 R7 for ~$50K. Its also gorgeous. Picture below. 

Best Miguel

image.png

• 1 month later...

I think Bill has a good point.

I showed these pictures to my local Harley friends and they all said they liked it.

NOW...If BMW would unveil it at Sturgis with some Hollywood style and marketing.

...and a couple supermodels. 

790632D3-5170-42F6-B62B-88BA122801AD.jpeg

B1A88CE7-E936-4451-80C8-404F77130A17.jpeg

Edited by Whip