IGNORED

Re: AGM House Battery

Skywagon

I know many folks have posted about using Universal Power Group batteries.  Somewhat related..... I got a call yesterday from my alarm company telling me my battery was dead and sure enough the panel showed low battery.  We have a pretty sophisticated electronic house with Honeywell panels, alarms, cell site, etc.  I took the cover off the panel to check the battery... It had oozed crap all over the place. It was a big mess and the battery was making a sizzling noise. Not sure if it could have exploded or caught fire, but I quickly put it outside. It says it is lead acid AGM...but the crap coming out was mostly gel like with some liquid.  It just uses a small transformer to keep it charged. I wonder if the transformer is overcharging it and if I should replace it as well.   The battery is a Universal Power Group 12V 5AH Alarm Security Fire System Battery 12 Volt 5AH SLA Battery

The battery was replaced almost 3 years to the date.  So...the purpose of this message is not to criticize UPG but to beware that out of site out of mind batteries can cause problems.  It reminds me to check the battery in my bike a little more often.  

27 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

I know many folks have posted about using Universal Power Group batteries.  Somewhat related..... I got a call yesterday from my alarm company telling me my battery was dead and sire enough the panel showed low battery.  We have a pretty sophisticated electronic house with Honeywell panels, alarms, cell site, etc.  I took the cover off the panel to check the battery... It had oozed crap all over the place. It was a big mess and the battery was making a sizzling noise. Not sure if it could have exploded or caught fire, but I quickly put it outside. It says it is lead acid AGM...but the crap coming out was mostly gel like with some liquid.  It just uses a small transformer to keep it charged. I wonder if the transformer is overcharging it and if I should replace it as well.   The battery is a Universal Power Group 12V 5AH Alarm Security Fire System Battery 12 Volt 5AH SLA Battery

The battery was replaced almost 3 years to the date.  So...the purpose of this message is not to criticize UPG but to beware that out of site out of mind batteries can cause problems.  It reminds me to check the battery in my bike a little more often.  

Afternoon  Skywagon

A lot of universal type security system battery's have the constant usage & the standby usage charging voltage printed on the battery case. 

If your old battery (or new battery) has that info on the battery case then determine usage type (probably constant in your case) then put a voltmeter on the charging battery to see if your charging voltage falls within those limits. 

Thanks DR....I just checked.  There isn't a transformer.  The charge wires are coming out of a electronic panel.  With nothing connected my fluke shows 13.5V.  Here is a picture of the battery specs.

61EMJWXdeTL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

17 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks DR....I just checked.  There isn't a transformer.  The charge wires are coming out of a electronic panel.  With nothing connected my fluke shows 13.5V.  Here is a picture of the battery specs.

61EMJWXdeTL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

Afternoon  Skywagon

You might need a battery (load) to determine true charging voltage.

With charging wires coming out of the panel then possibly your system runs on the 110v then only uses the battery for stand-by in case of AC  power failure.