IGNORED

'09 R1200RT Fuel Tank Cap

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

Now if BMW is going to build a really expensive bike like an RT, you think they wouldn't skimp on parts, right? Wrong....the entire bike is only as strong as its weakest link. The mechanism that keeps the gas cap propped open (that little 'click' sound when you open it) is controlled by this cheapo piece of plastic (the red one below). A roller pin goes into 2 microscopic holes at the end of the red thing as a pivot. My original one broke last year. Sure, BMW won't sell me the plastic part, nor tell me where to get it. They'd much rather I buy a brand new cap for about $250. So I took a shot and bought a used cap on Fleabay from a 2015 K1300S, and it happens to use the same piece (dumb luck). Now, after a year, the replacement one broke last weekend. If anyone else here has experienced this with any year bike, please let me know if you've come up with a better solution. Yeah I can leave it off, and then the lid would just flop around when open, which is no big deal. I just like when things work the way they're supposed to.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

The Rocketman

I would assume so. Just needs to be strong enough not to break, but flexible enough to spread a little to get the roller pin in. Just hard finding someone to make a one-off piece without it costing a fortune. Was hoping someone already did it, so I didn't have to re-invent the wheel.

The Rocketman

I did discuss that option with a 3D printing friend of mine. Just not sure if the materials used would be so brittle as to break again. I'm not familiar with the stuff they use.

If it doesnt have that detent, then it just moves freely?  Doesn't sound like the end of the world.   

You could conceivably make that out of a small piece of aluminum bar stock and use some thin screws that are threaded into tapped holes.  Does the roller have retractable pins that let it snap into the plastic holder (like the pins on a watch band)?

The Rocketman

The roller is solid, in that the pins on the end are not spring loaded or retractable. The ends of the red legs bend slightly to insert to roller pin into the holes in the end of the red legs. And no...it would definitely not be the end of the world if the gas gap didn't lock in place while opened. This mechanism has no effect when the cap is closed.

It still might work with some aluminum since at that thickness it can be bent enough to open up and accept the roller and then bent back so that it is trapped.  Thread in some screws from the bottom with the heads clipped off and use epoxy or some type of thread locker to keep them from moving. 

It could also be made out of plastic.  I have some I used a while back for a boat project that machines pretty well and is reasonably stiff.  

Either way it's doable, but might take one or two attempts to make it, but what else do you have to lose but a little time.

Bob

Try JB Weld. Then grind it to shape using a rotary tool (Wizard) and drill a hole. I haven't had to fix my gas cap but I have rebuilt small broken posts such as on our food processor and it still works 18 years later....it's a Braun.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:10 PM, basilr said:

Try JB Weld. Then grind it to shape using a rotary tool (Wizard) and drill a hole. I haven't had to fix my gas cap but I have rebuilt small broken posts such as on our food processor and it still works 18 years later....it's a Braun.

That sounds like it could work too as long as the jb weld sticks to the plastic.  Worth a shot.

Afternoon  The Rocketman

You can probably trim the plastic plunger piece back then bend up a simple metal shoe to go under the plunger crossbar (spring pressure will hold the shoe in place).

Drill a couple of holes for the plunger posts to poke through & a couple of smaller holes for the roller axles to snap into & it should be good for life.

I would probably use a piece of thin stainless as aluminum would be too weak hold the roller axle in place & steel or tin would rust. 

fuel cap detent.2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
aggieengineer
On 10/27/2019 at 1:40 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  The Rocketman

You can probably trim the plastic plunger piece back then bend up a simple metal shoe to go under the plunger crossbar (spring pressure will hold the shoe in place).

Drill a couple of holes for the plunger posts to poke through & a couple of smaller holes for the roller axles to snap into & it should be good for life.

I would probably use a piece of thin stainless as aluminum would be too weak hold the roller axle in place & steel or tin would rust. 

fuel cap detent.2.JPG

That is definitely worth saving for future reference. Much less labor-intensive than working with a billet. Many ways to skin a cat, as they say. This is a good one. 

I hope, however, that this is an infrequent problem. 

The Rocketman

Got it back earlier. The cost was free and was done as a favor by a friend. He said it was very labor intensive and time consuming, and is not interested in fabricating any more. Hopefully these photos of the assembly will show you how its held in place for future reference. One screw holds the bracket down, and the roller pin slides against this bracket to lock the cap in place vertically when its open.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...