IGNORED

Touring Tires for my R1200 GSA

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Hi all,

Just a quick question...i'm thinking of putting a set of asphalt oriented tires on Blitzopotamus for the winter riding season.  My current rubber is the Shinko 705, which is a pretty good 80/20 tires.  What are some other good street oriented tires you may be using on your GSA?  

TIA

Hello.  After two sets of TKC 70s on my GS, I decided that I don't do enough off-road to justify them, and began looking for a purely street tire to smooth the ride a bit -- even though I liked the 70s a lot.  Previously, I had the Anakees on the GS, but was not a big fan of them.  I landed on a set of Michelin RP4 Trails (the Road Pilot 4 nomenclature for the GS due to the larger front).  I have has some RP 4GTs on a K1600GT and was hopeful that they would smooth the ride a bit on the GS.  They have.  I have less than 50 miles on them, but like them so far.  I opted for the 4s and had my parts guy search for a pair because I didn't like the tread pattern on the new 5s, but I believe the 4s are now out of production so they may be more difficult to find.

Good luck.

Randy Shields

I'm on my 3rd set of tires.  All have been the 90/10 variety.  The GS came with the Anakee III, good grip, still had some tread at 6,000 miles but the noise from the front tire was unreal.  Never had a tire make that much noise!  The second set were Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs.  Great tires, fantastic grip, great in the rain, started to square off in the rear at 6000 but have at least 2000 miles left.  Pulled the tires for FART and installed a set of Continental TrailAttack IIIs.  Got a great deal on the tires with a 60 dollar rebate and figured why not give them a try.  The Contis are just ok, the GS was rock stable with the Pirellis, just dont feel the Contis have the same level of grip.  They are ok in the rain, only have about 1000 miles on the tires, still too early to make a determination about wear.  Ill go back to the Pirellis once the Contis are done.      

• Like 1

While they are technically a 90/10 tire, Pirelli Scorpion Trail IIs work very well as a street only tire. I've been surprised how well they grip yet also provide good mileage.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm about to do the same thing, switching to the RP4s since I got a deal on a set from @Huzband. Otherwise, I think I would just stick with the 705s, they are cheap enough to just about offset early replacement if you can mount your own.

Just got my Rider and BMW ON yesterday, and they contain articles on Continental's new line of tires, including a sport touring tire, the ContiRoad, and a new off-road tire, the TKC 70 Rocks, that has no center tread band and is somewhere between the 70 and 80 in terms of grip.  Here is a link to the online version which you can access if you are an MOA member.

https://issuu.com/bmwmoa/docs/bmwon_2020_01

Randy

• 5 weeks later...

I’m late into the game, but another endorsement for the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. I don’t think there is a better street tire for the big GS. 

The handling is neutral, they a great in the wet, and grip is good even when cold. 
and they last as good as anything else, on this side of a Haidenau or other rock hard tires. 

That’s the only tire I’ll be using on mine from now on.