IGNORED

1500 miles on a single charge?

ltljohn

I saw this article LINK  British inventor claims 1500 miles on a single charge with new aluminum air battery technology.  I am skeptical to say the least. 

Here is a link to the company website Metalectrique   Lots of claims about range and environmental friendliness.  I would gladly drive electric as this would meet all of my needs for a vehicle.  Anyone here have any  more information about this?  There has to be a catch somewhere.

Digging a bit deeper there are not rechargeable.  They must be replaced when depleted  but are completely recyclable as aluminum and have a quick easy replacement process as claimed by Metalectrique.

3 hours ago, ltljohn said:

There has to be a catch somewhere.

There is.

The  battery is not rechargeable but rather replaceable & the cost/inconvenience of replacement makes its value/validity questionable.:lurk:

Solid state batterys (non gell/liquid electrolyte) have a claimed 2-3x energy density increase over today's Goodenough Li-ion batteries.

This batteries (solid state) exist in laboratories & many are working in there development for the mass production that will be needed for the staggering demand. 

Hopefully these battery's as well as an increase of fast charging infrastructure come to fruition in the near future.