IGNORED

2015 R1200RT Low Seat

profbodryak

Just picked up my 2015 RT yesterday from Cross Country Cycles in Metuchen, NJ and it came with a low seat option. Drove it up to NYC and then to DC for a total of 259 miles. Marginally uncomfortable and it seems more rigid compared to a regular seat (had two liquid cooled RT's previously). Has anyone else noticed it?

Also, if anyone is interested, I would exchange it for a regular one. The bike just hit 4000 miles today, so practically, the seat is almost brand new. I'm 6'3 so will definitely be getting a regular seat.

At your height, I'd be recommending a Russel Day long.  Much better on the butt.  And it'll let you raise the seat height away from the pegs, giving you more room.

The RDL's run a little higher than BMW standard seat.  But with your height, you could use it.

The BMW seats are not very good in any size.  You may not want to spend the money on an aftermarket seat, but if you do, the Russell is a good choice.  It will make your ride taller in two ways.  The seat itself is about 2 inches taller than a standard and because it is wider it spreads your legs out some.  I am on my 3rd bike I have changed to a Russell and have been happy with all 3.  Someone will want your low seat...be patient.  Most riders aren't your height and have trouble flatfooting with standard seats.

Russell is the only way to go in my opinion, not only will it give you great comfort in the seat butt as other have mention extra height providing more leg room.  Russell uses your seat pan, you mention you have the low seat I'm not sure if that effect the pan height but something to look into 

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I have been happy with stock seats on my previous two RTW's and will probably look for one again. I'd be cautious getting anything higher than that because when I sit straight up, with a visor open, the air goes around the recess at the top of the windshield and just about starts hitting me right in the eyes. So stock height was just about perfect.

QuietWerks shield solves that problem.  Creates a much quieter and stable air pocket behind the shield.  I put one on my wife's RT. She runs a BMW low seat.  Even she was surprised at what a difference it makes.  She's able to typically run the shield at almost full down for her 5'5" height.

92Merc, I think the low seat is what I would really like to change to stock because of how flat it is. Just doesn't feel like there is enough cushion and the taller seat also increases the angle at the knee.

I had a curved up windshield by aeroflow before on a 2005 RT and there was a lot of distortion due to the bend. This one looks like it has that right at the eye line.

15 hours ago, profbodryak said:

92Merc, I think the low seat is what I would really like to change to stock because of how flat it is. Just doesn't feel like there is enough cushion and the taller seat also increases the angle at the knee.

I had a curved up windshield by aeroflow before on a 2005 RT and there was a lot of distortion due to the bend. This one looks like it has that right at the eye line.

Yeah, with the QuietWerks, I look over it.  It deflects the air up and over my head well.  So unless it's raining and I need the extra height, I'm looking over.  Even then, I usually just drop my face shield and keep looking over. 

But starting with a new seat would be a good start.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, profbodryak said:

First, I want to say that I also would highly recommend the Quietride shield.  It is excellent.

As for the low seat, if the height is right for you, but you are finding it too hard, I suggest trying a relatively inexpensive solution of adding an Airhawk cushion to it.  Just make sure that you adjust it at least per their instruction, and then go from there.  I have been using one for many years now, and the low seat on my RT feels fine. 

On 10/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, profbodryak said:

Two things about the screen. Yes the recurve is at the top of the screen where it does the most work for you. This design allows the rider to look over the screen at any speed instead of through it. 

The area that might be effected by the recurve will be the area in front of the bike but well short of where you would be looking. Yet there are times you want to see something in that area. We went to great lengths to minimize the amount of distortion in that area. There will always be some when you bend these materials. The difference comes in how well the mold is made and the temperature of the material when layed onto the mold. Temperature is absolutely critical, and if you shortcut that you will have more distortion. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, PadG said:

First, I want to say that I also would highly recommend the Quietride shield.  It is excellent.

As for the low seat, if the height is right for you, but you are finding it too hard, I suggest trying a relatively inexpensive solution of adding an Airhawk cushion to it.  Just make sure that you adjust it at least per their instruction, and then go from there.  I have been using one for many years now, and the low seat on my RT feels fine. 

PadG, I don't think I can do the cushion as I don't have a garage. After a couple of weeks I am more used to the short seat especially on shorter rides.

That's too bad.  I am so used to the cushion that when I rented an RT with the low seat, in NZ a couple of years ago, I was quite surprised as to how hard that seat was!  Felt like sitting on a plank of wood!!