Dimond

Gas Cap Won't Release

Dimond

Subject: R1200GS (2015) 'Keyless Gas Cap Won't Open'

My 'keyless' gas cap will not release so the cap will not open.  I removed the 2 torx bolts at the front of the gas cap and then removed the mechanical latch part held by the bolts so that I can refuel.  I am now trying to diagnose the problem and my first step is to troubleshoot the electrical release mechanism (without the mechanical latch part in place) to ascertain if the electrical system is allowing for a proper release.  However, I do not know how to 'troupleshoot' this mechanism.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.       

AZgman

I will ask the obvious; you do know that you can only open it for a short time after the ignition has been switched from on to off... correct?

Cap

.... or you need to pull the lever twice while your fob is within range.

Bill_Walker

Also, sometimes you need to press down on it to relieve the tension on the latch before the latch will release.

Kerry in Mpls

I had the opposite problem. The fuel lid on my '16 R12GSW would close securely, but you could lift the lever and it would release and open without the fob being in range. So it was usable, but I decided I wanted it to latch and lock as intended.

BMW wants $400+ for a new replacement "tank lid" part number 01 16 11 8 531 632, and the local dealership wanted an hour of labor to install it.

Too high, so I searched eBay and found a seller parting out wrecked bikes who offered the tank lid for $120.

I bought it and installed it in about an hour, nice to have it working properly.

• Like 1

Dimond
This post details the problem and the solution to my 'stuck' gas cap on my 2015R1200GS Keyless Ignition bike (75k miles). There are likely many potential causes, as others have noted, for having a 'stuck' gas cap - this post only details the one I encountered. The description below is my best guesstimate as to how the moving parts holding/releasing the gas cap interact.  The part that failed is BMW Part No 01-16-11-8-552-148, Tank Lid, MSRP $427 - the entire gas cap and filler tube is sold as an integral unit.  The price is what motivated my to try and 'fix it' rather than 'replace it'.  

Step 1 - Open Cap.
a) remove the 2 forward torx bolts at the front of the bike that keep the holding latch in place.
b) gently pry up the gas cap along with the holding latch -  remove the holding latch.
c) with the gas cap now open be sure to take some precautions to keep parts/dirt/tools from entering the fill tube.

Step 2 - Keyless Locking Mechanism Test.
a) there are two main moving parts that hold down (and release) the gas cap.
1. Horizontal moving rod - The horizontal rod moves horizontally when manually powered by hand movement when pulling up/down on gas cap lever.  Moving lever down keeps gas cap forward when bike is running and moving lever up moves horizontal rod out (towards rear of bike) to allow opening of gas cap when bike is turned off (and key fob is near bike).
2. Vertical moving rod - The vertical rod can move up and down via actuation (on/off) of a solenoid embedded within the 'tank lid' assembly. The horizontal rod has a vertical hole drilled thru it to allow the vertical rod to move up into the horizontal rod (gas cap closed) and down out-of the horizontal rod (gas cap open).  The vertical rod moves up via a solenoid (de-energized, ignition off)  return spring and down (for a short period with key fob nearby) via energized solenoid.  The foregoing mechanism enables a very small solenoid to create a very large resistance to a horizonal force (i.e., gas cap lever).  When you look down into the filler cap area you can see a very small diameter pin sticking up (when ignition is on) and then down (with ignition first turned off).  However, my solenoid was neither moving the vertical pin up or down - hence the problem - it was stuck!  

Step 3 - The Fix
I tried to push the pin down (ignition off) with a small screwdriver to no avail.  I sprayed electronics cleaner and dry air on the assembly to no avail.  The very small pin is connected underneath to a round plunger with a much larger body than the pin and accessible with a small diameter (20/1000 inch) punch down under horizontal rod.  Pushing very hard 'freed up' the vertical rod.  Once it was initially freed it easily moved up and down with the ignition on/off like it was supposed to.  

Lesson Learned: This expensive latching assembly is very ingenious - when it works - and a PITA when it does not.  I was out for 200 mile and it failed when I went to gas up.  I was able to get home with a few miles left in the tank - but I will be packing a Torx driver with me on future rides as it is not much of a problem to 'tank up' when you have this tool in your possession!  Thanks to those of you that offered opinions and suggestions!

ScottT

Hopefully you have an extended warranty if it fails completely. Mine has already failed on my 1250RT. When it fails they replace the entire assembly. Parts + labor is over $600 if you don't have warranty coverage. Horrible feature.

TestPilot

Why is this starting to sound a bit like the hexhead fuel strip problem - poor engineering with no real solution except $$$.

alegerlotz
5 hours ago, TestPilot said:

Why is this starting to sound a bit like the hexhead fuel strip problem - poor engineering with no real solution except $$$.

Its not nearly as pervasive as the fuel strip problem for one thing...

AndyS
12 hours ago, alegerlotz said:

Its not nearly as pervasive as the fuel strip problem for one thing...

alegerlotz, you are dead right.

jcwvfr

Good Afternoon, now I have this problem on my 2018 R1200RT With 24,xxx miles on it. I couldn’t get the cap open at the gas station today no mattered what I did, I knew I had enough gas to get home so I cut short my joy ride. You can take the front two bolts off the ring and the lid will pop right open. Dealer told me over the phone... yeah sometimes they break?!?! Told me I can bring it in and they will take a look at it. I cleaned it with carb cleaner, toothbrush and compressed air and it work fine..... came back out 20 minutes later.... nope won’t open.

Motorhead1977
On 10/22/2019 at 6:07 PM, TestPilot said:

"...... poor engineering with no real solution except $$$."

Since purchasing my '18 RT new in February 2018 I've come to the realization that the above seems to be the BMW mantra. That combined with "We did it this way because it's more difficult, aren't you impressed with us?". My last BMW was a R65 LS many long times ago. Have had many different bikes in between. Yes I know everything is high tech now but IMHO BMW rival HD in the taking $$$ out of your wallet and expecting you to be glad for the opportunity.

Thanks for the tech info on the interim remedy. I always have a set of torx bits in my bike.

92Merc
20 hours ago, jcwvfr said:

Good Afternoon, now I have this problem on my 2018 R1200RT With 24,xxx miles on it. I couldn’t get the cap open at the gas station today no mattered what I did, I knew I had enough gas to get home so I cut short my joy ride. You can take the front two bolts off the ring and the lid will pop right open. Dealer told me over the phone... yeah sometimes they break?!?! Told me I can bring it in and they will take a look at it. I cleaned it with carb cleaner, toothbrush and compressed air and it work fine..... came back out 20 minutes later.... nope won’t open.

You may have cleaned it out well, but you need to add some lube.  Something like silicone lube.  With all that cleaning, you just have dry parts with lots of friction.

Rougarou

Ya, I haven't searched this, but I'd really like to convert my GSA back to keyed ignition and tank cap:5146:  Not that I've had any issues, but I use various jackets and have gotten to the bike only to have to go back into my building to retrieve the fob from the morning jacket.  Never had that issue on any of my keyed bikes.

Bernie
6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, I haven't searched this, but I'd really like to convert my GSA back to keyed ignition and tank cap:5146:  Not that I've had any issues, but I use various jackets and have gotten to the bike only to have to go back into my building to retrieve the fob from the morning jacket.  Never had that issue on any of my keyed bikes.

Curious, where did you leave the key for your other bikes?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rougarou
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

Curious, where did you leave the key for your other bikes?

Since it was the ignition, I'd pull it and put in my pocket.  Since this little dongle goes nowhere, I don't' much like it.  If I put it in a jacket pocket, then use a different jacket, I gotta remember which of the five-six pieces of gear I used last.  I don't like to carry things in my pants pockets much either,....a carryover from active duty. 

I've reduced my wallet, to nearly nothing, six essential cards/IDs, keeps my pockets nearly empty/flat.

All keys for my vehicles have only the keys/fobs for "that" vehicle.  No extras, no house keys, no trailer lock keys, no work keys, this keeps things to a minimum. 

Bernie

I only have one riding suit. I have it hanging on a S-type carabiner and just clip it on my belt loop, before doing my RoadCrafter Suit.

My problem witch the keys was that I would forget to get them out of my pants before getting my Stitch zipped up.

I guess they call this a new world problem? :5146:

• Haha 1

BendBill
6 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Since it was the ignition, I'd pull it and put in my pocket.  Since this little dongle goes nowhere, I don't' much like it.  If I put it in a jacket pocket, then use a different jacket, I gotta remember which of the five-six pieces of gear I used last.  I don't like to carry things in my pants pockets much either,....a carryover from active duty. 

I've reduced my wallet, to nearly nothing, six essential cards/IDs, keeps my pockets nearly empty/flat.

All keys for my vehicles have only the keys/fobs for "that" vehicle.  No extras, no house keys, no trailer lock keys, no work keys, this keeps things to a minimum. 

^^^   another vote for a return to basics. I don't like the key fob and prefer a slim wallet.   I'd give up keyless ride and tire pressure monitor--needless complexity.  And in 2 years of my RT, the radio has never been turned on, and it never will.

• Like 2

Rougarou
4 hours ago, BendBill said:

^^^   another vote for a return to basics. I don't like the key fob and prefer a slim wallet.   I'd give up keyless ride and tire pressure monitor--needless complexity.  And in 2 years of my RT, the radio has never been turned on, and it never will.

Ya, the only things I don't mind in my pockets are my benchmade mini auto presidio II or my kimber micro9,.....of course, not in the same pocket

TEWKS
37 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

of course, not in the same pocket

I’m sure you’re aware more than most, you don’t want to accidentally bring a knife to a gunfight! :ohboy::grin:

Hosstage

Had my bike had not come with the security system already installed (an option in 2001), I would not have ordered it. An electronic locking gas cap just seems needlessly complex to me. While mostly convenient, certainly frustrating when not working properly.

But then, I'm just a Luddite from the old days!

I miss wing windows...

Rougarou
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

I’m sure you’re aware more than most, you don’t want to accidentally bring a knife to a gunfight! :ohboy::grin:

Dat's why I got two pockets on the right side of me body

• Like 1

wbw6cos
8 hours ago, TEWKS said:

From what I understand, Marines bring both!!  :rofl:

TEWKS
13 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

From what I understand, Marines bring both!!  :rofl:

I bet they do! :thumbsup:

Rougarou

this is going way off topic, but had to say it.  My wife asked one time if I had my knife with me, my reply,.........I have my pants on don't I?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hank in WV

As I recall, they are trousers...:classic_rolleyes:

Rougarou
35 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

As I recall, they are trousers...:classic_rolleyes:

Let me wean a little terminology away from the active duty days,.......also, I no longer wear blouses.

Hank in WV

And don't forget cover... Semper Fi  :thumbsup:

Rougarou
10 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

And don't forget cover... Semper Fi  :thumbsup:

Ya, it's occasionally still a cover, yut-yut