IGNORED

Run-N-Lites. Lite blazer.

MBrockman5

Has anyone installed a Run-N-Lites Lite blazer on their license plate? My new 07 RT came with this (and a mountain of other stuff) that the previous owner didn't get around to install. 

Even though there are "instructions" online, they're just general info. I'm hoping someone has some experience and can simplify the hook up for me. 

There are 3 wires. Black, gray, and brown. 

15714159493918682333797593900519.jpg

I have this on an 1100 non Canbus. As far as I can tell and have tried, I cannot get this to work with Canbus, as there is not a separate positive tail light and brake light wire on the bike. Both are the same wire with Canbus system.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:29 PM, MBrockman5 said:

Has anyone installed a Run-N-Lites Lite blazer on their license plate? My new 07 RT came with this (and a mountain of other stuff) that the previous owner didn't get around to install. 

Even though there are "instructions" online, they're just general info. I'm hoping someone has some experience and can simplify the hook up for me. 

There are 3 wires. Black, gray, and brown. 

Afternoon  MBrockman5

It might work & it might not.

You definitely can't use the 3 wires as you only have 2 wires going to your tail/brake light. 

If your LED array will light brightly at  12-14 volts & light with less intensity at about 6-8 volts then it will work on your motorcycle. Your 2007 1200RT has a pulse width modulated tail light (pulsed 8 volts or so for tail light, & on steady at 12+ volts for brake light )-- (has nothing to do with the CanBus).

In any case, first identify the LED array ground wire then identify the high (bright) wire. 

Then, you need to either test it with a 12v & an 8V dc source, or test it on your motorcycle before installing.

To test off the bike just hook the LED array ground wire to a 12v battery (-) & hook the LED high wire to the 12v battery (+) -- it should light brightly.  (if it flashes then it is not easily  usable without some modification)

Next, repeat the above test using a 9v flashlight battery-- first,  it should light at only 9 volts, & second it should show less brightness than  it did at 12 volts. (you definitely need to see a brightness difference between 12v & 9v)

If your LED array passes the above off-bike test then post back & we can give you the details on how to hook it to your bikes rear lighting harness for an on-bike test.

If the light array flashes when using the high (brake)  wire then you  might need to re-run the above test using the low (tail light) wire. 

You won't  be able to use the flashing part so that will have to be by-passed (or figured out then eliminated) 

There might be other options, like hooking the LED low to the rear accessory outlet B+ circuit & hooking the LED high to the rear brake/tail but that is sort of iffy if you don't understand the LED array internal circuitry.  If the LED flashes with power to the LED high wire that really complicates the thing if you can't figure out how to eliminate the flashing.  

The only way I can use mine on a 2009 is as a bright tail light. Turn on ignition, it flashes as a brake then goes solid until the next power interruption, as in turn off then back on.

On 10/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, KDeline said:

The only way I can use mine on a 2009 is as a bright tail light. Turn on ignition, it flashes as a brake then goes solid until the next power interruption, as in turn off then back on.

KDeline... How did you wire it that way? In all honesty, I'd be fine with it as a "Bright tail light". It's better than having it sit on my desk unused. 

9 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

KDeline... How did you wire it that way? In all honesty, I'd be fine with it as a "Bright tail light". It's better than having it sit on my desk unused. 

It has been a while but I think I just connected both tail and brake light to a switched positive like your front parking lights as they are always 12 volts, then ground wire to ground. Check this on you battery positive and negative to verify. You could tap into the tail power socket but they will stay on for about 45 seconds till canbus shuts down. I believe there is a switched 12 volt wire in the tail section for the alarm you could use also.

Brown to ground, black and gray to switched positive. DO NOT GROUND THE GREY WIRE EVER!!!!     After more research  it seems you can connect the black wire to a switched twelve volt source, grey to the brake light positive and brown to ground. This might let it work as it should. Wish I would have found that years ago.....

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks KDeline. I'll try that next time I have a chance. Maybe/hopefully over the holiday break or after finals

(Frickin college :4331:. Always eating into my free time)

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Success!!!

I finally got around to wiring up the Run-N-Lites Lite Blazer today. Thanks to @dirtrider and @KDeline for the pointers. It was relatively simple to install and works great. Even though it lights up [BRIGHT] with the brake light, the "Flashing" feature doesn't appear to function. 

I used the screw next to the helmet lock for the Ground, tapped into the rear auxiliary power socket for Switched Power, and the wire that activates the LED's was tapped into the Positive wire to one of the tail light bulbs. 

Screenshot_20200210-175818_Photos.thumb.jpg.2f263ced6f091b28428f83fa2cf1c9a2.jpg

What it looks like mounted. Screenshot_20200210-175707_Photos.thumb.jpg.1459420fa8d503684654b99860359e94.jpg

"Dimmed" with the running lights.Screenshot_20200210-175727_Photos.thumb.jpg.49e0f2df3fb227874a68d10e08f581d8.jpg

Activated with brakes applied. Screenshot_20200210-175751_Photos.thumb.jpg.3248c6ed4605b113b1bcb1c8955df587.jpg

Since I used the rear auxiliary power socket, it remains lit up for about 45 seconds after the bike is turned off. 

Screenshot_20200210-181156_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200210-180017_Photos.jpg