IGNORED

Update on final drive

FEBUTT

Hey Folks, years ago I rode an RT1200--in the days of final drive failures. I'm getting the itch to get back into BMW's and wondering if this issue has been resolved. I quit riding them because I feared taking a trip and having to deal with this issue. Your thoughts are appreciated.

1 hour ago, FEBUTT said:

Hey Folks, years ago I rode an RT1200--in the days of final drive failures. I'm getting the itch to get back into BMW's and wondering if this issue has been resolved. I quit riding them because I feared taking a trip and having to deal with this issue. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Morning FEBUTT

You posted in the hexhead forum so are you looking to get into a hexhead 1200 bike (2005-2009)? 

If so then the early (hexhead) 1200 BMW's had a few final drive failures but not as many as the earlier BMW 1100/1150 motorcycles. 

I have seen some (not a lot, but enough) final drive failures spread throughout  the  hexhead model years (even up through the late 2009 1200RT's. The good news (if it can be seen as such) is the final drives usually fail early in their life, then once repaired go the for a long time after that).

But, the 1200 hexhead picked up some other  problems with a number of drive shaft failures & an above average ABS brake module failures.

If you are looking at later BMW 1200 bikes (like the camhead or the wethead then those seem to have less final drive failures as  BMW went back to external venting, also  BMW  must have improved quality control.