IGNORED

Strange icon...

jakfrost

A couple of times now I have had an icon come up on the screen that I cannot identify using the owners manual. No big suprise there...

It is a diamond shape with what looks like a 'H' in the middle. Comes up to the right of the readout for the BC functions, like temp, oil, etc. Can't say there is any specific time when it occurs, random as far as I know at this point.

I thought it might be for 'Handling' since the handling was so horrible when I first got the bike tongue.gif. But now I have solved that problem it still comes up now and then...

Anyone else had this??

Jim

That sounds like your oil level warning. Meant to be an exclamation mark superimposed on a diamond I think. Page 45 in the handbook.

i too have had this icon appear on the screen. at first, i could swear it was an exclamation mark in the diamond, and then an H. from then on it was always an H. and it moves from the right side near the engine temp area to the oil line where the check would be when you are idling. i checked my oil and it was down to the bottom of the view port. this was 800 miles after the initial break in service also. so i added over a 1/4 of a quart and it has stayed away for several hundred miles. the only thing i could come up with was that it was an H for hot, as in the oil was hot. but this was on a 72 degree day in mild traffic, so i am not sure about this. curry

I thought the oil 'low level warning' was an exclamation mark in the upper warning light area, not in the trip computer screen... confused.gif

Jim

I think they are referring to the low oil as in add oil warning not the low oil pressure light. They two warnings are telling you to different things. The "add oil' warning is on the LCD screen, the low oil presuure warning is in the idiot lights above it. If you cycle through the computer screen you will see the add oil warning. A check mark means its good an exlamaition mark means add oil.

I thought the oil 'low level warning' was an exclamation mark in the upper warning light area, not in the trip computer screen... confused.gif

Jim

Yea, I checked the good ole sight glass and it was exactly half way, full or empty, your choice grin.gif.

So I added mebbe 6oz. Brought it up to just below the top...first time I have added oil since I got the bike, 3,000kms ago.

I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to need oil tongue.gif.

Wonder why they don't mention that particular icon in the owners manual confused.gif

Jim

The infamous oil check indicator is in the onboard computer screen area. It comes up as an exclamtion point that is between what seems to be opposing yeiled signs on their sides

I found it on about page 40 of the owners manual. My oil was just below the half way mark. Danged thing is junk I think.

It is the oil level warning light. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking it was an H at first. I didn't know what to think the first time it came on... is that an "H"? Could the motor be too hot? The temp looks fine? I'm not even sitting in traffic?

Come to find out it's like one of those 3D posters, look at it the right way and it becomes and exclamation point, look at it wrong and it's an H, go figure. It's like the arrow in the FedEx logo, once you see it you always see it. Maybe I should go to bed...

Guess I've never seen the arrow in the FedEx logo...

But I've never been able to see those illusions posters either. Suppose I don't take the right drugs.

--russ cool.gif

I have found that if you follow the directions in the manual carefully it does work after a fashion. It calls for the bike to be fully warmed up, sitting upright and stationary with the engine idiling. If you do that then it does seem to work.

What is really annoying is, as you say, the oil level doesn't have to get very low before the stupid thing keeps appearing as you ride around. Generally if I am stopped at a light for long enough it will go out (only to reappear once I am underway). I am told if you fill it almost to the top of the circle it will stay out while riding but I kind of refuse to add dribs and drabs of oil just to make the flickering idiot light work properly.

I found it on about page 40 of the owners manual. My oil was just below the half way mark. Danged thing is junk I think.

I agree that the oil level sensor is useless. Even the owners' manual seems to admit it, saying (in effect) that if the sight glass indicates that there is plenty of oil the sensor may be faulty! <g>

It sure is enerving when the oil level indicator shows you need more when it is only down to less than half of allowed min. Useless as far asI am concerned..

They do seem to vary. Mine work's great - doesn't start thinking about coming on until about half way between min and the red dot.

Archived