IGNORED

Riding the fault line

RPondaRoad

Using the "quick way" I can get to Monterey on our California coast in just over 3 1/2 hours.  I seldom do that though.  Leaving my home east of Sacramento I do the following which takes about 4 1/2 hours:  I-80 to Hwy 37 which runs around San Pablo Bay.  Then it's Hwy 101 through Marin County, through the Robin Williams Memorial Tunnel and across the Golden Gate Bridge.  I did this a couple of days ago and once across the bridge I made the (look..quick) right turn onto Lincoln Blvd and followed it through the beautiful homes on the Presidio.  I eventually made the right turn on to Clement and followed it down past the Cliff House and down to Ocean Beach and the Great Highway. (Hwy 1).  From there it's follow the Highway 1 signs through Pacifica, Half Moon Bay and on to Monterey.  A piece of cake.  And, a beautiful one at that.  I will never cross the Golden Gate Bridge on a motorcycle without tightening my helmet with my ear to ear grin.  If you ride a motorcycle, this needs to be on your list.  

When I'm in Monterey I always make time to bond with the sea life.  I stay in a hotel along Cannery Row and spend a couple of hours with a very large glass of brandy as I sit in a nearby park and watch the otters.  They are such a kick to watch as they get food, zip around on their backs and socialize with each other.  I saw over a dozen on this late afternoon, but there were a lot of sea creatures around.  Monterey Bay is a nutrient rich environment and I saw seals playing and some dolphins jumping in and out of the water.  

The next morning I found my way to Highway 68 and into the Salinas Valley heading south on Hwy 101.  The Salinas Valley is a rich agricultural area and the farms spreading out into the nearby mountains are beautiful.  It was especially so this particular morning as the fog laced the faces of the nearby peaks and only allowed the sun to directly light parts of them.  I had my wife riding pillion and together we made our way down to Highway 198 and then east to Highway 25.  Highway 25 is a trip!  

It winds along for most of it's 50 mile length in a valley between two sets of undulating mountains.  The mountains were "California Golden Brown" which we're used to in the warm, rainless months out here.  But, they would be even more beautiful in early spring or during the winter months when rainfall would make them green.  The road surface ranges from good to excellent, but there are blind turns and blind rises that you need to be careful of.  The valley is full of cattle being held in place by rather frail looking fencing and it's also full of deer...we saw several.  While the speed limit signs sometimes indicate 55 mph, an average speed here would be less.  This road goes by the eastern entrance to the Pinnacles National Park.  We saw some of the Pinnacles from the highway, but the best views are from hikes in the park.  I can't hike any longer, so we continued north into Hollister before heading into the Central Valley and our home.  

Today, I opened my news page and learned that a 4.75 earthquake happened on the San Andreas fault along Highway 25 just south of Hollister.  It happened about one hour after I had gone through on the RT.  The Sargent fault and the Calaveras faults also run very close to Hwy. 25, so if you want to do a little earthquake tourism on your bike...well, your chances are pretty good here!  If you miss out on the shake and bake, well...it's still a beautiful and unique ride.  

Below:  In Steinbeck's day (Cannery Row), sardines were pumped out of the fishing boats while moored out in Monterey Bay.  The apparatus were maintained by divers using primitive gear.  Some of them died while working.  This is the memorial to them.

IMG_20191014_172930168.jpg

• Like 4

Yep, those are great roads!  That being said, time permitting, I would have headed further west out Novato Blvd and Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Rd. to CA1, or maybe Lucas Valley Rd to Nicasio to PR-P, then south on 1 to rejoin 101 via Mill Valley.  You could also include Marshall-Petaluma Rd if you don't mind going further north.  But of course, that all adds time.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

Yep, those are great roads!  That being said, time permitting, I would have headed further west out Novato Blvd and Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Rd. to CA1, or maybe Lucas Valley Rd to Nicasio to PR-P, then south on 1 to rejoin 101 via Mill Valley.  You could also include Marshall-Petaluma Rd if you don't mind going further north.  But of course, that all adds time.

Thanks for the suggestions Bill...  We chose to leave a bit later to let the morning warm up a bit, and wanted to get to Monterey in time to hang out with our seafaring furry friends, so rode Hwys. 37 / 101.  I actually enjoy the marshlands and the water fowl a lot along Hwy. 37 too.  I'm sure you've ridden it.  

We also tour the northern part of the coast often.  (In my mind, the GG Bridge is the demarcation point) When we do, we sometimes ride the roads you mention.  

When I looked at your profile, I saw that you're from San Marcos, CA.  You must come up north often to have such a good knowledge of the small roads that you mention.  The last time my wife and I rode Pt. Reyes-Petaluma, we continued out to the lighthouse.  It is so pretty out there.  I'm sure you've been there too!

rick

18 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

When I looked at your profile, I saw that you're from San Marcos, CA.  You must come up north often to have such a good knowledge of the small roads that you mention. 

I grew up in Mill Valley, and spent my car-mad youth driving those roads.  But I have managed to come up north and ride them a number of times.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 5:56 AM, Marty Hill said:

Great post!  I'm lucky enough to have done most of the rides you mentioned.

+1....august of this year, in fact!  Lots of great riding places in our country!  

• Like 1