IGNORED

2009 K1300GT Tail/Brake light out

beemerman2k

My console lit up to suggest I had a blown rear light bulb.  Upon inspection, I discovered I have no tail light NOR brake light.  The fact that both lights are out suggests to me a problem other than light bulbs.  I might be wrong, I hope I'm wrong!, but I might be right.

What do you think the likely culprit is?  This CANBUS stuff is a mystery to me.  Were this an older bike, I'd look to replace a fuse, but there are no fuses on this bike.

Am I looking at a big bill for repair?

2 hours ago, beemerman2k said:

My console lit up to suggest I had a blown rear light bulb.  Upon inspection, I discovered I have no tail light NOR brake light.  The fact that both lights are out suggests to me a problem other than light bulbs.  I might be wrong, I hope I'm wrong!, but I might be right.

What do you think the likely culprit is?  This CANBUS stuff is a mystery to me.  Were this an older bike, I'd look to replace a fuse, but there are no fuses on this bike.

Am I looking at a big bill for repair?

Afternoon  beemerman2k

Definitely check the rear bulbs (I don't have a K1300  manual handy) but I believe that your bike has 2 tail/brake light bulbs.

They are single filament so the same bulbs are both for brake & tail light.

25 minutes ago, TF1200RT said:

Mine has two bulbs, dual filament.

Evening  TF1200RT

Are you sure on the dual filament as my BMW parts book shows the 2009 K 1300GT uses (2) single  filament bulbs.

I saw that too. I went outside and turned on the ignition and looked at the tail lights. Two lit up and when I stepped on the brake, the same two lit. I guess the CANBUS must be regulating the current. Bulbs show as P21W / 12V / 21W.

57 minutes ago, TF1200RT said:

I saw that too. I went outside and turned on the ignition and looked at the tail lights. Two lit up and when I stepped on the brake, the same two lit. I guess the CANBUS must be regulating the current. Bulbs show as P21W / 12V / 21W.

Morning TF1200RT

Yes, both the current & voltage to the rear bulbs are being P/W regulated but not by the CanBus. Both the CAN (Controller Area Network) and the CanBus, (Bus that allows the controllers to talk to each other) have no ability to regulate anything (they just allow communication between onboard controller modules).  The actual current/voltage regulation & switching is being done by the chassis controller for the rear light control.

Now when the bulb-out dash light illuminates then 'that' info is going out over the CAN via the CanBus so the dash controller knows when to turn the bulb-out light on.  

7 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning TF1200RT

Yes, both the current & voltage to the rear bulbs are being P/W regulated but not by the CanBus.

I wrote that in an early morning fog.

• 7 months later...

Hello Beemerman.. Have you resolved this tail and brakelight problem as I am experiencing the exact prob, on my 2010 k 1300 gt. Bulbs are all good. Yellow light on instrument panel along with rear light out indicator.   Thanks Sanford

• 3 weeks later...
beemerman2k

Update: MICE!  Mice are getting under the bodywork and chewing on some wiring.  That's what's causing my taillight issues.  The bulbs are fine, the electronics are fine, the mice are causing problems.