IGNORED

Plastic Speedo Drive Sector

CaptainKcorb

Years ago I was saved by a member's suggestion (Oopeezoo I think) when my speedo went hors de combat on a long tour. 20 minutes outside an Oregon motel saw the wheel off and little metal drive tang out, rebent and back together. Yesterday, after another 150K, it quit again on our Fall Colours Ride. Sure enough, the drive tang was the culprit and has been rebent enough to get things working again. The aluminum bit is pretty much finished though I think I can either get one from the mother ship or fabricate one in the shed.

My question is whether I can get the driven plastic sector wheel in the speedo drive down by the axle, or will I have to buy the whole drive mechanism? If I can, is there a part number out there or somewhere I can find it? I'd rather buy the piece as the alternative is to make up a different drive tang design to pick up the (few) remaining bits of the sector wheel.

Cheers,

Brock

10 minutes ago, CaptainKcorb said:

Years ago I was saved by a member's suggestion (Oopeezoo I think) when my speedo went hors de combat on a long tour. 20 minutes outside an Oregon motel saw the wheel off and little metal drive tang out, rebent and back together. Yesterday, after another 150K, it quit again on our Fall Colours Ride. Sure enough, the drive tang was the culprit and has been rebent enough to get things working again. The aluminum bit is pretty much finished though I think I can either get one from the mother ship or fabricate one in the shed.

My question is whether I can get the driven plastic sector wheel in the speedo drive down by the axle, or will I have to buy the whole drive mechanism? If I can, is there a part number out there or somewhere I can find it? I'd rather buy the piece as the alternative is to make up a different drive tang design to pick up the (few) remaining bits of the sector wheel.

Cheers,

Brock

Afternoon Brock

My BMW parts book shows that you need to buy the entire speedometer drive but I have seen the internal drive gear listed separately  on E-Bay once in a while. Even entire speedometer drives are usually listed on E-Bay (probably cheaper than just buying a gear).

Just be sure that you match the correct drive ratio as there were a couple of different drive ratios.

Thanks for the quick reply Dr. The hint for checking the ratio is one I hadn't thought of (though I should have given the many that haunt old Brit bikes). I'll keep checking the Boneyard and plan on making a replacement drive ring in the mean time. It's working right now but another slice taken out of the plastic will probably be the end of it's repairability.

Best regards,

B