IGNORED

Stalls too easy when cold

greenrider

Hi

I had a 1997 R1100RT for 7 years.

In July I bought a 2011 R1200RT with 6500 km. It had all the documents showing it had been winterized and stored every year at BMW. It had a new battery and tires just before I bought it because he was going to do a long trip but then couldn't because of health. 

From July to September I have put on 8500 km. Now a total 15000km

I love the bike.But I noticed that it doesn't have quite the Lugging power as the old bike and needs a bit more throdle when starting off but no big deal. 

But now in the last couple of weeks when I start the bike it needs a lot of rpm and have to release the clutch very slowly to start off or else it stalls off. 

Once the engine is warm everything runs as normal. 

Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

24 minutes ago, greenrider said:

Hi

I had a 1997 R1100RT for 7 years.

In July I bought a 2011 R1200RT with 6500 km. It had all the documents showing it had been winterized and stored every year at BMW. It had a new battery and tires just before I bought it because he was going to do a long trip but then couldn't because of health. 

From July to September I have put on 8500 km. Now a total 15000km

I love the bike.But I noticed that it doesn't have quite the Lugging power as the old bike and needs a bit more throdle when starting off but no big deal. 

But now in the last couple of weeks when I start the bike it needs a lot of rpm and have to release the clutch very slowly to start off or else it stalls off. 

Once the engine is warm everything runs as normal. 

Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance

Morning  greenrider

Lots of possibilities on this and not quite enough information to tell much over the internet. 

Have you tied a TPS re-learn as a starting place?  I'm not sure that it makes a lot of difference on the camhead BMW but worth a try (good place to start anyhow).

You might need to get a GS-911 (or dealer computer on that bike to look at the engine sensors & functions).

A stall at ride-off can point to a lazy or lost idle stepper but that is more of a warm engine thing than a cold engine thing (still can't rule it out though).

Does it seem to have a proper (& enough) fast idle when cold?

Another possibility is a fouled lower spark plug (usually left side if bike is parked on side stand)  at/after cold start. Something like that can clear up as the engine heats up then re-foul after sitting overnight. 

I did the TPS relearn made no difference. 

When I start it when cold it idles nicely then stalls after about 10sec. Start again and it idles nice . But no lugging power till the temp gauge starts to rise then all is good. 

2 hours ago, greenrider said:

I did the TPS relearn made no difference. 

When I start it when cold it idles nicely then stalls after about 10sec. Start again and it idles nice . But no lugging power till the temp gauge starts to rise then all is good. 

Afternoon  greenrider

That is going to be difficult to find without using a GS-911 to look at the BMS-K data right after cold start. 

Long shot, but you might try a 30 minute battery disconnect (that will clean out the adaptives) , then reconnect battery, then do a new TPS re-learn & re-set the clock.  

I had 20F temps this weekend, and to start I needed to hold the throttle up just a bit, after 15 seconds or so I could let it go and let it idle normal and warm ups. At 35F, no need to hold throttle up.

Gord

Do you experience low lugging power when it's cold?

When letting the clutch out I can't let the rpms go below 2000 at least or else she stalls off. 

I did all the things dirt rider suggested but didn't help. 

See if it's better when the weather warms up. Right now it's 12c (53 Fahrenheit) or colder. The other morning it was at freezing temp. Once the gauge started rising it had it's normal lugging power.