IGNORED

Starter beauty

Ladioviro

This is my armature, destroyed? Three magnets loose. 

Foolishly bought a new battery first thinking that was the trouble. Always good to have a spare right? 

I see auto-elektrik are good for parts. Any other recommendations for Europe?

1002341F-E3ED-4933-BDDD-BEF5932EB4D9.jpeg

817C2D5C-DA7F-48A8-964D-C88EA6605938.jpeg

13 hours ago, Ladioviro said:

This is my armature, destroyed? Three magnets loose. 

Foolishly bought a new battery first thinking that was the trouble. Always good to have a spare right? 

I see auto-elektrik are good for parts. Any other recommendations for Europe?

Morning  

That looks pretty bad, you will probably be way ahead just replacing the entire starter rather then trying to make that one work with parts.

Pretty difficult to advise you on European parts as things like starters are usually cheaper over here in the U.S.

I have dealt with   https://www.motobins.co.uk/  a few times & they seem to be decent to deal with as well as offering good parts. 

Have you tried E-Bay in Europe? They probably list  new BMW 1100/1150 starters (not sure how the prices will line up with other options but you might find a new starter at a decent price).

You can find real good prices on BMW starters in the U.S. but shipping, shipping time, & getting them to ship to Europe might be a deal breaker.     

7 hours ago, Ladioviro said:

Would you throw out the whole thing? I was thinking of just armature and housing and try clean everything else up 

At $58 for a new one, hell yes I'd throw out the old one. Maybe try to fix it and keep it as a spare, after I installed my new one.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, Ladioviro said:

Would you throw out the whole thing? I was thinking of just armature and housing and try clean everything else up 

Yep, just bin the old one.

The battery will be useful at some point in the future!

On 10/12/2019 at 7:56 PM, Jim Moore said:

At $58 for a new one, hell yes I'd throw out the old one. Maybe try to fix it and keep it as a spare, after I installed my new one.

Sadly, the new one is crap, compared to the OEM, hence the price. IT might look tempting, but if the starter would go bad on my bike, I would try to fix it using replacement Valeo parts.

And I would not hurry throwing it away. Personally, I like fixing things before replacing, if it's worth to, obviously. The bike's starter is definitely something worth trying repairing, since there are a lot of replacement parts for it.

Dan.

Hi Dan, the original ones were always susceptible to magnet separation. I consider the newer ones of much higher quality and worthy of change.

• 2 weeks later...

I glued the three magnets back using guerrilla glue and only the force of the magnet itself for a clamp. It has held so far, but I broke the brush holder so...

34 minutes ago, Ladioviro said:

I glued the three magnets back using guerrilla glue and only the force of the magnet itself for a clamp. It has held so far, but I broke the brush holder so...

Hmm...not keen on Gorilla glue in this particular application. It is easy to get bad positioning due to the expansion of that particular adhesive.

1 hour ago, Ladioviro said:

Afternoon Ladioviro

That will work just great____ right up to the point where it won't.

Heat cycles will be the downfall of that Gorilla glue, it might last for awhile & it might not but when it fails you will have another no-start condition. Hopefully this isn't when you really need it to start for you, like in the middle of a 4 lane traffic packed intersection when you accidently stall the hot engine.

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Hmm...not keen on Gorilla glue in this particular application. It is easy to get bad positioning due to the expansion of that particular adhesive.

There's kind of a 20 minute working-window where you can keep them in check

32 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Ladioviro

That will work just great____ right up to the point where it won't.

Heat cycles will be the downfall of that Gorilla glue, it might last for awhile & it might not but when it fails you will have another no-start condition. Hopefully this isn't when you really need it to start for you, like in the middle of a 4 lane traffic packed intersection when you accidently stall the hot engine.

It was more of an experiment to see would it work, i'll upgrade the whole thing I reckon, given that it's all covered in grinded magnet-dust. 

Only have 2 lanes of traffic where I come from so...let them wait! 

What glue, if any, would you trust for this sort of thing? Tec7? 

There are many sourced available for these starter motors, typically Motorworks in the UK. They have a good selection of used and new items.  (https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=30&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_30_IA_45)

Or James Sherlock - (https://james-sherlock.co.uk/shop/r850-r1100-r1150-r1200c/engine-electrics/starter-motor-2)

Honestly, for the roadside hassle it could cause you, just replace the entire unit.

17 hours ago, Ladioviro said:

It was more of an experiment to see would it work, i'll upgrade the whole thing I reckon, given that it's all covered in grinded magnet-dust. 

Only have 2 lanes of traffic where I come from so...let them wait! 

What glue, if any, would you trust for this sort of thing? Tec7? 

Morning Ladioviro

None! ,   the original field shoes were glued in with well tested & verified adhesive & even that failed eventually.