IGNORED

New Dunlop 50/50 tire

Whip

• 1 year later...
Lone_RT_rider

I posted this on one of my GS Facebook pages in reply to a person that just got a set. People love these tires, but I'm not the typical rider these are aimed at. See my post below from FB.  

I'm going to give a counterpoint on these. I'm a 95/5 rider. I purchased them because they have a TON of tread depth and I was hoping for increased tire life. So far so good with that. I've got about 2K miles on them so far and I have a few issues, all of which are based in on-road riding only.

1. When in wet conditions, they don't grip well in corners. I've had 2 friends go down with these tires on where they just "gave up" in a wet turn. I've felt the front end slip and float on mine at about 50 mph in 4th gear under light throttle in a long sweeper.

2. The contact patch at the out edge (dry conditions) doesn't seem to stick as well as the Michelin Anakee Adventures. I've felt the back end wobble when really leaned over in the North Carolina mountains more than a few times.

3. At Highway speeds, the bike has wobble (almost like the beginning of a tank slapper) that seems to take a little attention at around 80 mph.

4. These are heavy tires (around 33 pounds for both when shipped). The heavy rotating mass has affected the ability to transition left to right and back again in the tight mountain twisties. The bike feels heavier to me than it did with the adventures.

These inevitably will serve the function I wanted, increased tired life. I'm not sure it's worth the other negative things I have found though. Time will tell as to how long they will stay on the bike.

literally, YMMV.

Shawn

RandyShields
6 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

I posted this on one of my GS Facebook pages in reply to a person that just got a set. People love these tires, but I'm not the typical rider these are aimed at. See my post below from FB.  

Thanks Shawn.  I passed this story on to my parts guy (the slippiness of the harder rear tire in wet conditions).  He said "hmmm" and noted that another customer also had the back end slip out on a wet road and go down.  Then he said he would not be recommending these tires to any of his customers.  

• Like 1