IGNORED

Euro Switchgear

SmokinRZ

Hello, 

I have a 98 R1100GS and my previous 99 model (same bike) had a euro switchgear that I could operate the driving light by holding the turn signal cancel switch for a second to two.  The convenience of that switch has me looking on ebay for a euro  switch where I noticed the an on/off switch for the headlight.  Now i'm wondering if my previous bike indeed had a euro switch or if somehow that feature was incorporated into the standard US switchgear.   I'm also thinking this on/off switch for the headlight might help my low voltage ABS issue by leaving the headlight off until the bike starts.   

Doe anyone have experience with this euro switch?  Is it plug and play?   The GS and RT switches should be similar as they look the same and I replaced my leaky front master cylinder with one from an RT and it bolted right into place with the GS switchgear.         

That function of the TS cancel button doesn’t sound like an OEM option, US or Euro.  Sounds like an aftermarket function, possibly built into the Kisan signal minder.

1 hour ago, SmokinRZ said:

Hello, 

I have a 98 R1100GS and my previous 99 model (same bike) had a euro switchgear that I could operate the driving light by holding the turn signal cancel switch for a second to two.  The convenience of that switch has me looking on ebay for a euro  switch where I noticed the an on/off switch for the headlight.  Now i'm wondering if my previous bike indeed had a euro switch or if somehow that feature was incorporated into the standard US switchgear.   I'm also thinking this on/off switch for the headlight might help my low voltage ABS issue by leaving the headlight off until the bike starts.   

Doe anyone have experience with this euro switch?  Is it plug and play?   The GS and RT switches should be similar as they look the same and I replaced my leaky front master cylinder with one from an RT and it bolted right into place with the GS switchgear.         

Morning  SmokinRZ

The Euro switch goes on the R/H side handlebar & is basically just a headlight on/off switch. For US 1100 bikes there is no headlight on-off switch as the US mandate is headlight on all the time. 

On your current bike you should be able to get the high beam to come on no matter what by using the high beam switch instant-on feature (basically flash-to-pass).

I'm not sure what you had but not much in the turn signal area interfaces with the headlight circuit so even installing an aftermarket turn signal  relay would not interface with the headlight or driving lights without adding a relay & additional wiring. 

Did you have something like this______       http://www.autoswitch.com/as5ncy.php

Sold on E-Bay_______________     https://www.ebay.com/sch/platech1/m.html?_nkw=autoswitch

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

The Euro switch goes on the R/H side handlebar & is basically just a headlight on/off switch. For US 1100 bikes there is no headlight on-off switch as the US mandate is headlight on all the time.

For what it's worth, there is no national requirement for headlights on in the daytime; the requirement is state by state.

I have a 2003 R1150rtp.

It is equipped with a switch on the right handlbar switch area that allows the head light to be turned off, and on, park light off and on as well.

I'm pretty sure if you find a right hand switch pod from a R1100 or 1150 RTP you can plug and play this option.

19 minutes ago, TestPilot said:

For what it's worth, there is no national requirement for headlights on in the daytime; the requirement is state by state.

20 minutes ago, TestPilot said:

Afternoon TestPilot

If any state requires it then BMW mandates it as they only offer one motorcycle version for the entire US so no special emission or safety offerings per state.   

19 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon TestPilot

If any state requires it then BMW mandates it as they only offer one motorcycle version for the entire US so no special emission or safety offerings per state.   

True of all manufacturers as far as I know.  Just don't call it a national mandate.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:13 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning  SmokinRZ

On your current bike you should be able to get the high beam to come on no matter what by using the high beam switch instant-on feature (basically flash-to-pass).

I'm not sure what you had but not much in the turn signal area interfaces with the headlight circuit so even installing an aftermarket turn signal  relay would not interface with the headlight or driving lights without adding a relay & additional wiring. 

Did you have something like this______       http://www.autoswitch.com/as5ncy.php

Sold on E-Bay_______________     https://www.ebay.com/sch/platech1/m.html?_nkw=autoswitch

Thanks DR, I think that is what I had and not the Euro switch.   The PO installed HID lighting so it was hard to tell what was what with all the additional wiring.  That makes it even easier now, but I still wonder how much the Euro switch would help my ABS low voltage situation, I think the real cure is replacing my 4 year battery with an odyssey.  Thanks for the input everyone.     

5 minutes ago, SmokinRZ said:

Thanks DR, I think that is what I had and not the Euro switch.   The PO installed HID lighting so it was hard to tell what was what with all the additional wiring.  That makes it even easier now, but I still wonder how much the Euro switch would help my ABS low voltage situation, I think the real cure is replacing my 4 year battery with an odyssey.  Thanks for the input everyone.     

Afternoon  SmokinRZ

I doubt the Euro switch  would help your ABS low voltage situation as that (low voltage) usually happens (sets) during engine cranking & your motorcycle  has a load-relief relay that automatically turns the headlight off during engine cranking.

A new battery might help the low voltage situation but if it cranks OK now then you can put a simple ABS re-set switch in the ABS green wire that allows ABS re-set after engine start even with the key-on & engine running.

I had questioned the headlight on/off switch on my '96 R1100R.  It has one on it.  The owners manual says that the switch only came on Euro models.  I checked my VIN and it is listed as a USA model.  Can't figure that one out.   Also that switch does not help in the low voltage fault in the ABS start up for my '96:(

25 minutes ago, SAS said:

I had questioned the headlight on/off switch on my '96 R1100R.  It has one on it.  The owners manual says that the switch only came on Euro models.  I checked my VIN and it is listed as a USA model.  Can't figure that one out.   Also that switch does not help in the low voltage fault in the ABS start up for my '96:(

Afternoon SAS

A number of riders back in the 1100/1150 era bought then installed the Euro headlight switch.  Some were due to actually needing a way to turn the headlight off for certain riding situations & others were just wanting to have control of the headlight on/off.  

I installed the Euro switch on a couple of mine so I  didn't disturb other campers when I returned late at night or left  early in the morning. 

Hi DR,

The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he purchased it new, and said it was on the bike from the beginning, when purchased.  With nothing mentioned from the dealer at purchase.  So I am still baffled.  Your explanation makes sense, but not sure how  this one came to be on my bike.    

7 hours ago, SAS said:

Hi DR,

The previous owner is a friend of mine, and he purchased it new, and said it was on the bike from the beginning, when purchased.  With nothing mentioned from the dealer at purchase.  So I am still baffled.  Your explanation makes sense, but not sure how  this one came to be on my bike.    

Morning SAS

That is a puzzler to be sure.  I don't  't-h-i-n-k' that  it could have been ordered in new with that Euro switch but who knows, maybe the ordering dealer found a secret check box. 

If I had to guess it would be that the dealer needed a standard (non-Euro) R/H switch gear for a warranty replacement on another bike so just swapped your original standard switch gear with an in-stock Euro switch gear to obtain that needed switch gear. (but again we will probably never know how it got on your motorcycle). 

Hi DR,

If I had to guess it would be that the dealer needed a standard (non-Euro) R/H switch gear for a warranty replacement on another bike so just swapped your original standard switch gear with an in-stock Euro switch gear to obtain that needed switch gear. (but again we will probably never know how it got on your motorcycle). 

Your statement here would make the most since.  

All I know is that it has it on the bike and am happy for it as I like to start with the big draw light off anyway.  And also the things you mentioned about campgrounds at night. 

Thanks for your comments.

3 hours ago, SAS said:

All I know is that it has it on the bike and am happy for it as I like to start with the big draw light off anyway.  And also the things you mentioned about campgrounds at night. 

Thanks for your comments.

Morning SAS 

Euro switch gear shouldn't make any difference on starting as your BMW motorcycle should have a load relief relay that automatically turns the headlight off when you push the starter button.

Hi DR,

Have never noticed if it does or does not turn off when starting. Was not aware of the load relief relay. Don't usually turn it on for start, and I always turn all electrics off that can be turned off before shutdown as this is a habit from flying airplanes.    Just from years of other motorcycles I automatically turn it off just out of habit.  Now being aware of this I will try it to see if it works.