IGNORED

New Member in NC

sach7581

Thanks for the add.  Recently bought my '05RT with 32,000 miles because I wanted cruise control that my Gen II FJR1300 doesn't have.  I also wanted more range than the FJR has.  I knew almost nothing about the R1200RT before I bought it.  It didn't even run so no test drive either.  Had it running before I got it off the trailer.  (hot wired the fuel pump.  Oddly, after initial start-up, the fuel pump controller was working fine.  Replaced it anyway)  The previous owner said it had a lowered seat height but didn't know what all was involved.  Turns out it has lowered shocks, low Sargent seat, and lowered foot pegs.  Going to leave the shocks (I think) and raise the foot pegs and go with a standard height seat.  Handles better and easier than expected.  Runs smoother at lower RPMs than I expected and more raucous at higher RPMs. (I have had two Airhead RTs in my past) My new ride still needs fuel gauge fixed because it reads full all the time.   One annoyance is the ambient temperature reads high after the engine warms up.  I'll have to fix that.  I do like the bike and plan on riding it to Alaska next summer if everything works out.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, sach7581 said:

One annoyance is the ambient temperature reads high after the engine warms up.  I'll have to fix that.  I do like the bike and plan on riding it to Alaska next summer if everything works out.  

Morning sach7581

Fairly easy fix on the incorrect temperature reading, there was a BMW service bulletin on the 05 1200RT to move the ambient temperature sensor from the rear of the motorcycle to up under the front of the R/H side fairing panel (by the air filter intake snorkel inlet) so it reads nice fresh ambient air, not trapped engine heat. (later 1200RT's have it mounted there from the factory).   If your 05 has a radio then that complicates it a little but still not a real big deal.

The time to do this is when you have all the Tupperware removed for other service reasons.

Parts needed to do the swap-over___________ 

(1ea)  61 12 7 699 643 - Adapter assy. for temperature sensor

(1ea)  46 51 7 677 827 - Plug 

(16ea)  cable ties -  (zip ties) 

(1ea)  61 13 6 915 982 - Cable retainer for temperature sensor

(1ea)  61 31 2 306 377 - Cable clamp 

10 hours ago, sach7581 said:

(hot wired the fuel pump.  Oddly, after initial start-up, the fuel pump controller was working fine.  Replaced it anyway)  

Morning sach7581

I'll put this response in a separate posting__

When a FPC (fuel pump controller)  quits it is usually toast so if a fuel pump starts working after jumping  to a full 12volts then will remain working on the old FPC that usually points to the possibility of  a stuck pump  due to storage gunk or stale alcohol fuel. You might want to run a few tanks of Techron concentrate through your fuel system  to clean the system (your 1200RT doesn't have a replaceable fuel filter).   

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Whip said:

Welcome

Where do you live?

Hmmmm, unless you want his specific road address,.....:18:

image.png.833f132e77b026025849ac6089cbd160.png

12 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Fairly easy fix on the incorrect temperature reading

Thanks.  I'll do it.  I appreciate the parts numbers.

11 hours ago, Whip said:

Welcome

Where do you live?

Just south of Mocksville towards Salisbury.  I've lived hear for three years.

11 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning sach7581

that usually points to the possibility of  a stuck pump  due to storage gunk or stale alcohol fuel.  

I think you got it right.  It hadn't been started in three years and seldom started since 2012.  The owner was in bad health.  His days appear to be numbered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning sach7581

Fairly easy fix on the incorrect temperature reading, there was a BMW service bulletin on the 05 1200RT to move the ambient temperature sensor from the rear of the motorcycle to up under the front of the R/H side fairing panel (by the air filter intake snorkel inlet) so it reads nice fresh ambient air, not trapped engine heat. (later 1200RT's have it mounted there from the factory).

I just wanted to follow up on the tip Dirtrider gave on the ambient air temperature reading.  Completed the update and it now reads correctly, all the time.  I ended up  drilling a hole in the bell of the air snorkel and mounting it there.  Thanks.  Installed the standard height Sargent seat and went back to stock location on the foot pegs.  Not worried about dragging any more.  Fuel gauge is still reading full.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, sach7581 said:

Fuel gauge is still reading full.  

That’s the bike’s way of telling you, “let’s ride!” Kind of like a dog bringing you it’s leash. Welcome to the board. 

• Like 1