IGNORED

R1150RT 2003 Broke Down won't start

BMW Commuting Guy

BMW Commuting Guy

Hi,

The bike was running as normal then pulling away from lights the bike was a bit weird, slightly faster like a surge of fuel then choking. This was followed by engine shutting off.  The bike was turning over and over trying to start but wouldn't have it. Recovery guy said it sounds like the Fuel is not getting in. The ABS light was frantically flashing away and some clicking under the seat where relays and fuses sit. 

Before I pay for someone to pickup the bike and then look into the problem any suggestions on what this might be? A cheap option to try first! 

Thanks,

Ben

Have you got fuel in the tank?

When did you last fuel up?

If you have just fueled up, was it diesel you put in there?

When did you last work on the bike?

What work did you do?

Any background info will help us here.

Was it raining?

Had you just washed the bike.

Were the instruments (tacho) behaving strangely?

BMW Commuting Guy
47 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Have you got fuel in the tank? Yes

When did you last fuel up? Few days before.

If you have just fueled up, was it diesel you put in there? I had done 25 miles since refueling. Recovery man also thought the same. Would 25 miles rule this out?  If it is diesel? I recently purchased a diesel car for the first time so I was nervous when the recovery man mentioned it. 

When did you last work on the bike? Few months back but not me a mechanic. Done over 400 miles since then. 

What work did you do? changed fork seals

Any background info will help us here.

Was it raining? Not in the evening on way home but in the morning on way to work it might have been. 

Had you just washed the bike. Nope, very dirty! 

Were the instruments (tacho) behaving strangely? Not that I recall. Just the flashing ABS or was it warning light. Can confirm tonight but think it was the ABS. 

Thanks,

Have you ever replaced or rewired the Hall effect assembly?  If not, then that needs to be looked at. Check to see if you have the older wiring harness or the updated wiring.

Pull a fuel injector out of the throttle body and point it into a jar of some kind. Cycle the ignition off and on a couple of times to see if you have a full strength flow of gas from the injector.

5 hours ago, BMW Commuting Guy said:

Hi,

The bike was running as normal then pulling away from lights the bike was a bit weird, slightly faster like a surge of fuel then choking. This was followed by engine shutting off.  The bike was turning over and over trying to start but wouldn't have it. Recovery guy said it sounds like the Fuel is not getting in. The ABS light was frantically flashing away and some clicking under the seat where relays and fuses sit. 

Before I pay for someone to pickup the bike and then look into the problem any suggestions on what this might be? A cheap option to try first! 

Thanks,

Ben

Afternoon Ben

You have a 2003 1150 so the chance of an HES problem is low, not totally nonexistent but low. 

You have a better chance that the high pressure fuel hose inside the fuel tank has split (that causes similar to what you encountered).

You need to check for a cranking  engine spark, then if OK  check for proper & full fuel return (fuel return test).  

To check fuel return flow you need to disconnect the fuel return hose quick disconnect, then on the return hose coming from the rear of bike, hold the internal check valve open, then point that hose into a container, then either crank the engine or jumper the fuel pump relay socket to run the fuel pump.     (you need to see a decent amount of fuel coming out of the rear fuel return hose, about a pencil sized stream).

That clicking that your hear under the seat is probably the ABS light relay clicking (does the clicking seem to be in cadence with the flashing dash light?)

Ben,

Another way to check the fuel delivery to the injectors would be to pull an injector.  You'll have to remove one (R) side panel anyway.  Two small allen-head screws hold the  injector bracket and injector in the head.  Remove the screws and leave the electrical connector and the fuel tube on the injector.  The injector will slide up and out of the intake port with some persuasion.  Get a clear, dry plastic 12 oz pop bottle and hold it with the injector inside the neck while cranking.  

You should see strong, 45 psi pulses of fuel spray in the bottle in time with the engine turning over.  Look at the sprayed fuel in the bottom of the bottle for signs of water. 

If you don't get the strong spray pulses then you have a different problem.  It could be the split high pressure hose inside the tank, a dead pump from clog, relay, fuse, etc (but you would have heard it not pressurize the system at key-on), clogged/wet fuel filter, clogged injector filters, or something else.

This is the injector, with the hold down bracket removed  and the injector backed out of the throttle body.  The electrical connector is also removed.  1999 R1100RT.

6X3YWjM-bBcHsrg7LoGpALbooYv9SpSPzW0B5MkL

Injector out:

5YolMNw16eowPy6WdXZgw-iuStK0N5ZbisIl1QTc

So basically the bike did not start and you tried to start it till draining the battery.

Charge it back using an external electron moving device at a 12V rate :) and as advised, test for:

• spark when cranking
  • fuel squirt when cranking

... and report back here.

Dan.

I had the same issue a couple years ago. As dirtrider suggested it was in the fuel tank but in my case the pump died. I was able to confirm it was a lack of fuel by spraying starter fluid in the airbox while cranking and it fired up for a few seconds. A continuity test at the pump confirmed it was the pump. I replaced the hoses with the ones from beemer boneyard along with the new pump. I also got rid of the charcoal canister because I suspect it killed the pump. Best of luck.