IGNORED

Re: Final Drive fluid change on 14 RT

Skywagon

There is nothing in the manual on what and how much to use in changing the final drive fluid for RT wetheads.  I've searched here and google.  I can find lots of info on bikes prior to 14 but nothing after.  Is it still 180ml like prior generation?  Recommended oil viscosity?  Thanks.  

You are right...180ml.

75w90  API GL-5

Remember the drain O-ring is 11.2 x 1.8mm and the fill plug uses a copper 12 x 16mm crush washer

Both torqued to 20Nm

Edited by Boxflyer
Addition of parts
  • Like 1

Had a moment of energy today and changed the final drive fluid with BMW branded oil that cost too much...The gasket and o-ring were $2.40.  The gear oil had 6300 miles on it.  It was dark but clean.  The drain plug had some slight sludge but nothing metallic.  The last time it was changed was at the dealer.  They must have put the FD drain plug and vent plug in with a drill hammer.  It was in so tight  I couldn't break it free with a 3/8 ratchet...had to go to 1/2.  I was beginning to think it was left handed.  I put them back at 20Nm.  Turns out my arm is still pretty well calibrated.  After putting the torque wrench on them they only went about a 1/4 turn before click.

I cut my oil filter today using an oil filter cutter.  No metal and no sludge on the internal screen.  If you haven't seen the inside of the oil filter and would like a picture for reference let me know.  I always keep the spring in case I need a pogo stick.