IGNORED

Michelin Road 5 GT...

RPondaRoad

Corazon de Pollo

They have been available on some European markets since September 19. I got mine installed on September 26.

You'll have to be patient for a full review because I have a lot of things going on right now, but the first impression (about 4,000km of mixed riding, from highways to Spanish twisty roads, from rain to freezing temperatures) is nothing short of phenomenal.

Problem: they are about 10% more expensive than the Pilot Road 4 GT.

Not a big fan of the tread pattern on the PR5.  The sipes look like they will handle rain, but they are so huge, and the middle is just flat.  I much prefer the tread pattern on the PR4s.  I recently had my parts guy find me a set of PR4 Trails for my GS, as I am not doing enough dirt to justify non-street tires.  I will also pass along an observation from the sales manager at our local BMW dealership -- riding his RT wethead, he is getting a different angle on well known sweepers, where this tire is pushing him out wider than he has previously experienced, and not letting him get over as far on the side of the tire as he would like.  He is still keeping an open mind for now, but I am sensing he is not comfortable with them and may revert to his Pirelli Angels when these are done.

• Like 2

Different bike and tire. I have the Road 5 on the XR and they handle just fine. The look of the tread doesn't relate to the characteristics of the tire.

Thanks for the positive review.  To clarify, he has the PR5 GT on his RT, not the Trail.  The Trail is the nomenclature for the GS version with a 19 inch front tire.

To clarify I don't have the trail. The only difference between his tire, GT, and mine, non GT, is the stiffer side wall. Tread pattern and compound are the same. I have used several different tires on both the RT and XR. Usually the same type tire on both to see if the characteristics were any different. So far, even though different handling and power, the tires has been quite similar on both bikes.