BruceHarrisJr

Engine vibration of 2018 RT vs 2019 RT

BruceHarrisJr

Hello and good day. For those that have reasonable seat time on a 2018 and 2019 RT would you be willing to share your experience with regard to engine vibration at the handlebars, footpegs and seat?

Thank you!

Little_Brit

Hi Bruce,

Not exactly to your specification but I have covered 19,000 miles on a late 2015 R1200RT and in June in this year upgraded to a new 2019 R1250RT LE (it's got everything except the radio).

Early in the year I took a 1250 out for a test ride and whilst it was good I didn't think it warranted the expense of an upgrade.  In June I was "just passing" my local BMW dealer and they made me an offer I simply couldn't refuse!  

I have now covered 4,000 miles on the 1250 including a 2,000 mile trip down through France to Northern Spain and back to England in September.  All I can say is that they are chalk and cheese.  Whilst the basic bike is unchanged, it looks pretty much the same (I don't think my wife would have noticed I'd upgraded if I hadn't said so!) and rides pretty much the same but:  the engine is transformed and so is the suspension.  

The engine is significantly smoother at all points of contact; it still tingles when you give it its head but that can only last for a few seconds because you are very soon at silly speeds and as soon as you get back to cruise mode it is delightfully smooth.  You can feel the engine a bit as speed increases above 80 mph to 90 or 100 mph or more but you just can't sustain those speed in the UK if you want to keep your licence.  Not only is the engine smoother it is significantly more flexible, mine will happily pull from just below 30 mph in forth gear whereas the 1200 wanted to be in third gear for that.  And the torque is just delightful, significantly more grunty than the 1200.

The suspension is the other eye opener.  I'm a light guy (I should be lighter but that's another issue) weighing just over 11 stone, about 160 lb.  Most bikes, my 1200 included, are over sprung for me making riding on rough roads tiresome.  The 1250's electronically monitored and controlled set up is the best I have ever experienced in 48 years of riding, full stop.  Fully loaded or stripped back to no luggage it just gets on and does its stuff, wonderful.

I have absolutely no regrets at making the switch.

Hope that helps

Derek

• Like 1

BruceHarrisJr

Hello and good day Derek!  Thank you for your thoughtful and useful answer. I really do appreciate it sir.

Happy motoring...

TEWKS
On 10/6/2019 at 11:22 PM, BruceHarrisJr said:

Hello and good day. For those that have reasonable seat time on a 2018 and 2019 RT would you be willing to share your experience with regard to engine vibration at the handlebars, footpegs and seat?

Thank you!

A 2014 RT here. It's pretty darn smooth all over. Bruce, what exactly are you experiencing? :dontknow:

Edit..just realized you’re looking for a direct 18 to 19 comparison. The 19 demo had me smiling but the 14 is still a fine machine. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

BruceHarrisJr

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate it.

AndyS
On 10/7/2019 at 4:22 AM, BruceHarrisJr said:

Thank you!

Every bike is different. I have ridden some silky smooth Wetheads and some less so. However for me, when comparing my own 1200 with a 1250 the other month, mine was the smoother bike - but not by much. Mine had done way more miles though!