IGNORED

First non commuter ride :) on my RT

Rider1260

The weather playing nice here is northern Illinois and I got a chance to finally ride my new to me 08 RT on some fun roads ( Run to Starved Rock State park )  and get some distance and speed going. 

I have to say the RT impresses me more every ride. Still getting used to the more up upright riding position but I have been stunned by the planted feel at speed in corners, tho I did manage to push the front end a bit on a slow corner but it wasn't more than a twitch and it came right back , should have known better cool day shaded road ;( 

Still have not come to terms with the turn signals, I know it sounds strange, such a little thing but 40+ years of muscle memory my right hand just dosen't get it yet.

And lastly this bike is faster than the specs suggest ( LOVE IT ) never would have thought. So glad I finally got a BMW after only looking for years and can't believe I found a 08 with only 15K miles its like getting a brand new bike. Now the wallet empties to all the new stuff I need ( Helmet , center stand dolly ) Love that I can ride in comfort ( and fun ) down into the 50s so far. 

I am one happy camper !!!! 

• Like 3

Great to read!

With such low miles and given the age, I'd be check'n the tire age. Might need a new set...

Best to you with the new ride. 

Found and bought a 2012 last year with 14k on it.  The bike continues to amaze me.  The weather protection is great.  I find that I can ride in the upper 30's and low 40's in comfort.  Never could do that on other bikes.

Your bike is easy to maintain.  Lots of how to information out there.  I would suggest getting a DVD that will tell you how to do almost everything needed for your bike.  Enjoy your new ride. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 5:43 PM, Rider1260 said:

The weather playing nice here is northern Illinois and I got a chance to finally ride my new to me 08 RT on some fun roads ( Run to Starved Rock State park )  and get some distance and speed going. 

I have to say the RT impresses me more every ride. Still getting used to the more up upright riding position but I have been stunned by the planted feel at speed in corners, tho I did manage to push the front end a bit on a slow corner but it wasn't more than a twitch and it came right back , should have known better cool day shaded road ;( 

Still have not come to terms with the turn signals, I know it sounds strange, such a little thing but 40+ years of muscle memory my right hand just dosen't get it yet.

And lastly this bike is faster than the specs suggest ( LOVE IT ) never would have thought. So glad I finally got a BMW after only looking for years and can't believe I found a 08 with only 15K miles its like getting a brand new bike. Now the wallet empties to all the new stuff I need ( Helmet , center stand dolly ) Love that I can ride in comfort ( and fun ) down into the 50s so far. 

I am one happy camper !!!! 

I came from Japanese bikes (30+yrs) and couldn't fathom how BMW didn't have the sense to have one-hand-horn-one-hand blinker configuration on their bikes.  JFC.

That being said, I really enjoyed my hexhead, and really really enjoy my wethead.

ENJOY!

On 10/6/2019 at 7:43 PM, Rider1260 said:

After 13 years of RTs and almost 2 years on my ‘17 RT with Japanese style turn signal switches I wish they were still the old style. I’ve ridden/owned many Japanese bikes and still prefer the BMW turn signal switches.