IGNORED

Re: Spark Plug Change

Skywagon

Any recommendations on when to change plugs relative to mileage.  No known issues.  Will pull them next week to investigate but curious if you've been changing them at 18k, 24k, 30k, never...  How about the air filter.  If you haven't changed it yet your are in for a treat.  Basically disassemble the bike to get to it.

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Any recommendations on when to change plugs relative to mileage.  ...

I attached the recommended 12,000 mile service schedule.  Plugs and filter every 12k.  I change my air filter more frequently because I ride in dusty conditions.  Yes, I counted 15 panels to remove to access the air filter, it helps to have a way to keep all the screws in their correct location.  I use the Boxflyer foam board method.  Also, I found a nifty torque driver that makes quick work of (almost) all the T-25 fasteners.  You will also need a short T-25 tool for the upper side panels.

R1200RT K52 12000 Mile Service.pdf

I learned my lesson on spark plugs. Tried to stretch the interval to 24,000 miles. Bike wasn't running quite as good as it should have been. New plugs gave the bike a noticeable different feel and seemed to pull slightly harder. My bad, they go in every 12K now. 

I did take the air filter to 24K also. I looked at it at 12K and it was quite clean. At 24K it was still rather clean ( especially compared to the ones I see on my cars that go 20-30K ) when I replaced it. I don't ride in dusty conditions much. My feelings based on the 24K is that is a safe amount to go to for air filter change. Especially since it is the hardest part of a major service in my opinion!

• Like 2

Highly recommend following BMW schedule of 12k miles for the spark plugs as well!  When I did my 24k service, I was quite frankly shocked to see how worn the plugs were! 

I had replaced the air filter at 12k, and at 24k, it was dirty, and so I had replaced it, which was what I had intended anyway.  You might be able to hold on longer, if you don't ride in too dusty environment.

Thanks guys...I did replace the plugs at 12k.  It's 24K time now so was curious if you felt like it was worth the effort.  Sounds like conventional wisdom is to change them.   I changed the air filter at 12k too, although it looked very good.  All the fluids were changed this week....brakes and oil(s).  Only real thing left is valves...my least fun thing to do. I might change the low beam just to get that out of the way as current bulb has been in about 10k/miles.  Its finally cooling down here and riding season is about to begin.  Bring on that cold and rain...tired of heat and humidity.

CAP....I'm tool OD'd. Thanks for tips though.    Wife says every new tool is a pair of new shoes....Darn ringbell captures everything delivered so changes my buying habit. :4607:

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I've got a 2015 R1200RT that I recently bought used.  It is due for plugs and I like to do my own work.  I'm having trouble finding BMW recommended NGK LMAR8D-J plugs on line.  Is there an alternative?  It seems that these plugs are shielded for radio interference and I don't use the radio anyway(I blue tooth my phone to my Pack  Talk).  

5 hours ago, Tom Kruse said:

I've got a 2015 R1200RT that I recently bought used.  It is due for plugs and I like to do my own work.  I'm having trouble finding BMW recommended NGK LMAR8D-J plugs on line.  Is there an alternative?  It seems that these plugs are shielded for radio interference and I don't use the radio anyway(I blue tooth my phone to my Pack  Talk).  

Morning Tom

Some 1200wc riders are using the LMAR9AI-8  (that plug is very similar but one heat range different). 

Still others claim to be using SILMAR9A with success (this plug has a different electrode design & also off one heat range). 

Personally & I don't like changing spark plug heat ranges unless there is s proven & valid reason to do so, especially when servicing other riders motorcycles. 

I haven't heard of any problems using the  LMAR9AI-8 but still I'm not good with changing heat ranges unless there is a proven need, or the OEM simply can't be found.

Especially when the  NGK LMAR8D-J plugs can be found here at a reasonable price (when they are in stock but unfortunately they are not always in stock) 

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=29929

Or here-- If Auto Zone doesn't have them in stock most stores will order them in for you. 

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/non-automotive-spark-plug/ngk-93444-standard-spark-plug/420266_0

6 hours ago, Tom Kruse said:

Here you go: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/12128532942.html

Use the code BMWST at checkout and get 10% discount on your order!

BTW, this is where many of us, who do their own maintenance, buy OEM filters and other stuff.

• Like 1

I just bought some of those NGK plugs, air filter, and 2 jugs of Liquid Moly oil earlier in the week.  All were shipped.  So BB has them in stock...

Link didn't work for me.  I assume you mean these:

NGK 92288 LMAR8AI-8 Laser Iridium Plug

SKU: #LMAR8AI-8
ITEM : # NGK92288
BRAND :  NGK