IGNORED

1150 RT maintenance repair manual

christianf

I just acquired a 2004 1150RT motorcycle and I am looking for a manual for maintenance since service shops are few and far between in the hudson valley. I am not very experienced in the matter (to put it mildly) but my friend is and he strongly suggested that I get used to service the bike myself. I am looking for a well illustrated step by step set of instructions. Any recommendation on the manual to look out for would be very much appreciated. I think I would prefer a better book form over online document. 

Thank you

8 hours ago, christianf said:

I just acquired a 2004 1150RT motorcycle and I am looking for a manual for maintenance since service shops are few and far between in the hudson valley. I am not very experienced in the matter (to put it mildly) but my friend is and he strongly suggested that I get used to service the bike myself. I am looking for a well illustrated step by step set of instructions. Any recommendation on the manual to look out for would be very much appreciated. I think I would prefer a better book form over online document. 

Thank you

Morning  christianf   

This is a bit difficult to answer as different manuals cover different areas  with more or less do-it-yourself  information.

The BMW service manual is written more for  experienced service personal so it assumes the service provider is familiar with the motorcycle & familiar with the basic service procedures. The BMW manual has very good (accurate)  torque values & covers the basic procedures but assumes the user has BMW specific special  tools & basic service knowledge  (not many service hints or home type work arounds in the BMW manual)

The Clymer service manual is much more (home mechanic) friendly with some service hints & some work arounds for the do-it-yourselfer. It is much better at talking an untrained do-it-yourselfer through a service project. But there are a few errors.

Then you have a number of on-line service or repair walk-throughs, some with nice clear pictures &  good work-around hints. Some of these are  accurate & offer enough info to do a top notch job. Problem is, not all on-line info is accurate,  correct, or will result in a job without problems. The secret is it telling the difference between GOOD ACCURATE information & bad inaccurate info.

Web sites like this one offer another option  for simple service operations as we can usually talk you through the procedures and offer hints on how to work around needed special tools, etc. Or we can point you to an on-line writeup that is fairly accurate.  At least you can ask us questions about the service procedures BEFORE you start the job so we can point out pitfalls or tell you that you are on track to do it correctly.

At the very least you should probably have you own Clymer manual for your BMW motorcycle, then read though the service procedure, then ask us here to clarify any concerns or mis-understandings that you have. Sometimes a couple  of key words or explanations can make all the difference in understanding what  the manual is talking about.  

eBay has one used for ~$30 with shipping (get it now option)

Amazon had new ones for ~$40 plus applicable state taxes.

I just ordered a new one.  

A photo of a page or two convinced me.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the clymer manual which seems complete and detailed enough but to my dismay there is no part number to look for replacement parts. Where should I look for those? I am looking for a license plate uNder saddle white plastic connector

11 minutes ago, christianf said:

I bought the clymer manual which seems complete and detailed enough but to my dismay there is no part number to look for replacement parts. Where should I look for those? I am looking for a license plate uNder saddle white plastic connector

Morning christianf

You will probably have to go to a dealer on-line parts diagrams____

https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51765&rnd=07242017

It isn't easy finding some parts in the parts look-up & a lot of things like connectors are not even available as stand-alone parts. 

If you can explain in more detail (or post up a picture) of EXACTLY what you are looking for we can maybe help you locate it. 

You also have the E-Bay option as lots used BMW 1150 parts on E-Bay.