IGNORED

Spring Tune-up Appalachian Riding Tour (START) April 22-26 Newport, TN

Indy Dave

1 hour ago, Bud said:

Well, it appears that I have a hall pass for that week and MAY attend. No promises. Subject to change as always.

Will be good to see you again/been way to long.

Marty

• Like 1
On 10/18/2019 at 6:56 PM, Kinsley said:

Anytime...if you've got the time we've got the routes.

ChrisK always says I should do a 50 CC Iron Butt, but my version is 50 days not 50 hours :dopeslap:

If you build it, they will come.....

• Like 1

Hey Dave.....look out, I think you just volunteered for something!  I always knew you were "esteemed"...Indy Dave picked up on it quickly!  :3::5210:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

20191119_062707.thumb.jpg.2552b554a9b05c068450f8957e6d87c4.jpg

While most are busy and distracted by the run up to Thanksgiving and Christmas - your START scouts have been busy! Kinsley and BMW_Ken have been busy pounding miles and checking roads and sampling vittles. 

Not to be out done, Yours Truly jumped into action yesterday to get staged for today's TN scouting excursion.

We leave no road untraveled in our quest to START off your riding season every year on the right track! :bike: :5210:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Not to burst your bubble, but 2 SECFF lunches in a row got me some information on the routes.  Inside scoop is that they will be phenomenal (paraphrasing!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 11/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, wbw6cos said:

Not to burst your bubble, but 2 SECFF lunches in a row got me some information on the routes. 

Well, I guess you have that going for you.

Which is nice. :wave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave - Ken,

I have put this on my calendar to arrive Wed and leave Sun. -- Called and arranged for the room .

Look forward to seeing you guys again - looks like a great venue to do a little road curve carving.

Barry Moss

K1300GT

R1200GS

V Rod  

• Like 3

Great Barry - glad you can join us this Spring! You have all Winter to decide which bike to bring - but I have a feeling @twistyguy will win the day! :whistle:

653513961_2020startattendingOct18pg1.jpg.fc4757014807a0d373f9e2b6151c1b85.jpg

459727027_2020startattendingDec3pg2.jpg.f45688926cd0f8a148bb6c8a1f26e8fb.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Great Barry - glad you can join us this Spring! You have all Winter to decide which bike to bring - but I have a feeling @twistyguy will win the day! :whistle:

I think he'll bring the K.  He's fast as hell on that bike!

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Gary G said:

It's on my calendar as well.  Looking forward to seeing you all in the spring.

Gary

Hey Gary - Great news that you'll be joining us again in the Spring - looking forward to having you in our midst again! :18:

• 2 weeks later...

1st. timer made reservations this morning Arriving Wed. Planning to leave Columbus, Oh early AM Wed. Looking forward to it. '03 K1200 GT. See you then, Tom. (614-276-4918)    

• Like 4

Welcome Tom! :clap: Glad to have you join us and we look forward to meeting you! :thumbsup: Will you be able to take advantage of the warm temps over the next few days and get a few miles in? :bike:

464102261_2020startattendingDec22pg2a.jpg.e9f46e40873759bdbd129f1de1123db3.jpg

I am out for this as well.  New job is sending me to Critical Care School during this time frame.  Once I have the date for fall, I will put in my vacation time.

Until the fall.

Mike

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Medic Mike said:

I am out for this as well.  New job is sending me to Critical Care School during this time frame.  Once I have the date for fall, I will put in my vacation time.

Until the fall.

Mike

We'll miss you Mike, but look forward to FARTing with you in September. I just added the dates to the Calendar for September 23rd to 27th.

• Like 2

Mike - Sorry that you won't be able to join us this Spring - you're working towards bigger things, good on you for your perseverance! We'll look for you this Fall!

Joel - Looking forward to it! BTW - Where is your avatar photo from? Is that a Thatched roof?

29432001_2020startattendingDec29pg2.jpg.1297dfefb79d3f2c81b13f1eaf6afbdd.jpg

Thanks again Gang for putting on such a prestigious event!!!

IN + 1 = Wed-Thu - J and I missed FART due to BikeMS...but perhaps not this year...Do you have solid Sept dates or just hopeful? Work releases take precedence, unless I get the dates in before they set the schedule...hehehe

• Like 2
On 12/30/2019 at 7:11 AM, Kinsley said:

I just added the dates to the Calendar for September 23rd to 27th.

Hi K, The dates for FART are in the Calendar so you can plan accordingly :)

• Thanks 1
On 1/7/2020 at 7:55 PM, cyclingkk said:

Thanks again Gang for putting on such a prestigious event!!!

IN + 1 = Wed-Thu - J and I missed FART due to BikeMS...but perhaps not this year...Do you have solid Sept dates or just hopeful? Work releases take precedence, unless I get the dates in before they set the schedule...hehehe

Happy New Year, Keith! Look forward to seeing you both this Spring!

Um...I seem to have missed something.  I'll have the usual, please (Weds-Sun).  Looking forward to seeing all of you!

"But I don't feel tardy"

~CP

• Like 6
Just now, Tpoppa said:

Watching.

For anything in particular?

We're not overly organized as in group rides or any required activities. We do have a Friday night meal that 98.3% of the attendees go to.

Some of us (okay most)...sometimes (okay almost always) have adult beverages and tell lies (a lot of them) in the parking lot after the day's rides, but for the most part we're harmless. :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Kinsley said:

For anything in particular?

We're not overly organized as in group rides or any required activities. We do have a Friday night meal that 98.3% of the attendees go to.

Some of us (okay most)...sometimes (okay almost always) have adult beverages and tell lies (a lot of them) in the parking lot after the day's rides, but for the most part we're harmless. :)

I do enjoy riding Appalachian twisties all day, and drinking bourbon afterwards.

I just got on this forum... actually forgot I signed up years ago.   So for now just watching.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I do enjoy riding Appalachian twisties all days, and drinking bourbon afterwards.

That is a good description of many in this group.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

I do enjoy riding Appalachian twisties all days, and drinking bourbon afterwards.

I just got on this forum... actually forgot I signed up years ago.   So for now just watching.

As one who jumped into the asylum last year....come on in, it's a great group!  (they even allow Scotch in the mix...after riding's done of course)  jb

• Like 1

That's a great part of the country to ride. 

What kind of riding/pace typically happens with group?  Mild?  Wild?  Somewhere in between?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

That's a great part of the country to ride. 

What kind of riding/pace typically happens with group?  Mild?  Wild?  Somewhere in between?

Absolutely nothing is pre-organized for riding groups and there are various types of riders among us. Plans are usually made in the parking lot the night before or the morning of in the parking lot.

About a month in advance we'll provide GPX files for several route options which you can download and ride which ever ones appeal to you.

• Like 1

@Tpoppa  - These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few 'constants', however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event.

You are more than welcome to join us, we'd love to have you! Feel free to join us on whatever day works into your schedule.

It's worth noting that we do not organize any rides! Kinsley will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and return options of differing distances. Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. These routes are famously outstanding! They will be released about a month before the event.

Others may chime in with some more insight or to add on something I've left out.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

• Like 2

If you haven't done so already, now's a good time to check your calendar and make your plans! Kinsley has completed the routes and we're on final approach for the Friday group meal. New location, New roads - Same great folks!

As of Jan 28th:

1404127199_2020startattendingJan29pg1.jpg.4209a94f88b29bc6c89f81e2d7ea5786.jpg

980747138_2020startattendingJan29pg2.jpg.398fd8eac10c65f9c6f3fe6f90ed62bb.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1

Are there any sales restrictions for alcohol at this locale? I know NC has state stores, and beer is not always readily available. 

Beer can be acquired across the street at the gas station.

3 liquor stores are 3-5 miles away..

241231895_newportliquor.thumb.jpg.5608063cc1ee0e843f9c07b9ded66bc2.jpg

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

Beer can be acquired across the street at the gas station.

3 liquor stores are 3-5 miles away..

Well in that case put me down for arriving on Wednesday!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Motivation Monday! Here's a quick glance back at a end of day road Bernie led the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ on last year at START. What a gem - my first time on this freshly paved twisty goddess.   BTW - be sure to crank up the video resolution by clicking the HD gear and selecting 2160, or as high as your monitor will take you. @Tpoppa @twistyguy @marcopolo@Bernie@Endobobdds@terryofperry

1911686813_highrez.jpg.734e1019cdc14e1ed657011a655a4edd.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Good Evening Tpoppa. The routes are posted about a month before the current event, and once the event is over, those are removed and the focus shifts towards working on the routes for the next event.

On 2/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, Indy Dave said:

Motivation Monday! Here's a quick glance back at a end of day road Bernie led the Bumbling BackRoad Riders™ on last year at START. What a gem - my first time on this freshly paved twisty goddess.   BTW - be sure to crank up the video resolution by clicking the HD gear and selecting 2160, or as high as your monitor will take you. @Tpoppa @twistyguy @marcopolo@Bernie@Endobobdds@terryofperry

1911686813_highrez.jpg.734e1019cdc14e1ed657011a655a4edd.jpg

Sweet video Dave! Nice lines guys.  Can’t wait till START 2020!

• Like 1