Redman

1 minute ago, Michiganr80rt said:

Yes, I rode the lakeshore from Montague to Ludington

Good.

I like North Muskegon to Whitehall.

On 11/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

From North Muskegon to Whitehall...

Yah.

Have stopped there. Interesting walk there too.

(dont recall name of the pier/lighthouse/river/location)

You there yesterday? Recently?

Ride yesterday.

Down by beach, Grand Haven, they plow the sand over into the parking spaces when is windy like had been for a couple days. Then come around and load onto trucks to haul back to beach.

kbu64HX.jpg

Went south of town for ride along lakeshore. With trees bare can see more of the duneland.

jcwxQOo.jpg

VlZH3BN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Weather report was for today to be the nicest day of the week, sunny, clear, 45degF, calm.
SO planned to get some things done in the morning, and go for ride in afternoon.
But didnt get out till almost 4pm, and was barley 40degF.

Rode for about 45 minutes. Should have had heavier gear. But the grip heaters really helped.
Getting toward sunset, so headed down to beach area.
Seemed like a hundred cars had the same idea, and were clogging up the small area that is open at the state park there.
Found a way between some posts/gates and followed a walkway into the closed beach parking lot. Wide open there with no cars around to clutter view of the lake and pier. Turned around and parked bike.
Got off bike and see is a city cop back in the open area looking at me.

vohT5bZ.jpg

I suspect I might be having a chat with him before too long.

But I get out camera, and go about waiting to see if any color to the sunset.
Take some pics. Watch a kite surfboarder.

50674264296_52ff315eb4_c.jpgP1090515 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

50673525118_21df58d3f7_c.jpgP1090487 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

50673520878_26acd0f551_c.jpgP1090499 by Dave Redman, on Flickr

Decide not to wait till after sunset, (it was getting colder, and I had already been getting cold) so headout before sunset is over to beat all those cars out of the parking lot. And I see the cop is still sitting there.

So I ride between the post and down a walkway (to bypass a closed gate), in plain view of the cop. But now there is a car parked in parking lot right at the end of the walkway where walkway meets the parking lot. So I have to make a turn at a tee in the walkway, which could be a problem since if a tire were to drop off the walkway would be in deep soft beach sand. Make the turn no problem and get to parking lot that way.

Cop follows me through the parking lot and out onto the street, but turns away a couple blocks later.

Got home as is about dark. Am cold (should have geared up more), but was good to get out for a ride.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I now have an electric jacket liner, best purchase for cold weather riding! 

Nice pics on the beach!

Agreed - I held out for many years, including lots of sub zero snogo riding in Alaska - finally got a heated jacket for a trip down the west coast in early spring 2019 - amazing. I still wouldn't wear one for true backcountry snogo stuff as it only works when you've got power, but for moto riding, why not?  Best $200 (or less if you go used) you'll spend; less bulk, less weight, and you can dial in the perfect temp as the weather changes so you don't have to stop to change layers or ride outside your comfort. 

Mobile Warming (and probably others) have a 12 volt battery that can be used when away from the bike (or car). Most other battery only operated gear is only 7.5 vt battery, so it doesn't plug in to the bike. 

Gerbing used to be the standard, but many products out there now.

On 12/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

It warmed up a bit today.  Little Sable Point lighthouse

That is an interesting place. Have been there only a couple times.

Yes, That THursday, near 50dgF. (unusuall warm for Michigan in December, for those of you that may wonder why I mention it.).

I got out for a ride then also.

Stayed fairly local.

Took this bike:

zHbpvl8.jpg

Saw this barn in a blueberry field, late afternoon sun directly on side of barn. And found my back to it.

AGWwm5C.jpg

Went for a bit of a ride, then proceeded down by the beach & pier - again - for sunset (about 515pm these days). 

Found my way to Same private bike parking area that I found before.

DVDEAhT.jpg

Oh Oh further evidence that I am not entirely a BMW guy.

• 2 weeks later...

35degF today. Suppose to be cold and snowy, again,  in a couple days.
So got out for a short ride late this afternoon.

Just into town and around town. Stopped downtown for pic.
2g9adn8.jpg

And stopped to pick up take-out dinner.
Gotta support my favorite mexican restaurant.
1U090QW.jpg

• Like 1
Michiganr80rt
3 hours ago, Redman said:

Hum.... where is that, with gravel and stone so close to the lake... ?

Duck Lake State Park where Scenic drive runs along the lake.  

11 hours ago, Michiganr80rt said:

Duck Lake State Park where Scenic drive runs along the lake.  

Okay, Yah.

My memory of there is more sand, photo appears more like gravel.

Michiganr80rt
Just now, Redman said:

Okay, Yah.

My memory of there is more sand, photo appears more like gravel.

Well, this year the beach is about gone and they added rocks and riprap to keep the lake from undercutting the road

1 minute ago, Michiganr80rt said:

Well, this year the beach is about gone and they added rocks and riprap to keep the lake from undercutting the road

Ah, I should have guessed.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun seeing all your pix gentlemen.  After university, my wife and I lived in St. Joe for 10 years, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring much of the "west coast" during that time - from the Indiana line up to Mackinac Island.  The iced over pier rails especially remind me of wintertime hikes along the beaches.  I grew up in Chicago and my family religiously vacationed at Lake Hamlin in Ludington every year when I was a kid (still have my Pig's Dinner buttons from House of Flavors).  Also, happy to see stories from a couple of fellow year-round riders - I know that takes a little more resolve living in the upper midwest, compared to my current location in the Colorado front range.  Thanks for sharing.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:10 PM, waynerd said:

Fun seeing all your pix gentlemen.  After university, my wife and I lived in St. Joe for 10 years, and thoroughly enjoyed exploring much of the "west coast" during that time - from the Indiana line up to Mackinac Island.  The iced over pier rails especially remind me of wintertime hikes along the beaches.  I grew up in Chicago and my family religiously vacationed at Lake Hamlin in Ludington every year when I was a kid (still have my Pig's Dinner buttons from House of Flavors).  Also, happy to see stories from a couple of fellow year-round riders - I know that takes a little more resolve living in the upper midwest, compared to my current location in the Colorado front range.  Thanks for sharing.

THanks for comments Wayne.  Glad you liked the pics.

CO Front Range: As close as I got On my ride-RT-Home trip was on US50 that I took most all way across CO.

Had I gone to brother-in-laws in Eagle CO, that would have Front Range, if I recall properly.

All anywhere close to there was great.

St Joe: I lived just outside BentonHarbor for high school and community college years. So close near by, but quite different. 

Havent been back other than high school reunions.

I would be a marginal "year round rider". DO try to get out at least one day each winter month, even if just a short ride . . . . like yesterday.

40degf yesterday, and clear dry roads... forecast for more normal colder weather and snow, so took opportunity for a short ride. Maybe only occassion for January.

Not take RT due to possible salt reside on roads yet.

v8LYHHY.jpg

GOt heated gloves about 8 years ago, back when most all were the wired. Battery operated were becomming available but more expensive.

Heater gloves really make a big difference. Kinda awkward with the wires and connectors and controller, but made it so could be out for about 45 minute ride, without would have been about 10 minutes.

sGj5hFS.jpg

What was limiting my time out was around the area of my ankles, getting wind between boots and riding pants.... other limiting factor was related to having too much coffee earlier that day.......

• Like 1

Big thumbs up on heated gear!

We've got ice and snow on the roads here, so no riding for quite a while unfortunately.

Enjoy it while you can!

Since we're chattin' heated gear...

I have tried, and subsequently returned, 3 different pairs of battery heated gloves - discovering they just don't provide enough heat for me.  I would prefer battery powered, as I don't trust myself to remember to unplug every time, but I think that corded may be the only solution that will provide enough warmth for my needs.  Right now just bulky gloves and grips on high.

• 1 month later...
Michiganr80rt
On 3/3/2021 at 7:30 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

Frozen White Lake

IMG_2526.thumb.jpg.497ff54c3d18e214895f4d765eaa3dd3.jpgIMG_2528.thumb.jpg.a7cebb53dbe7205a8c636d71a05eb322.jpg

Not me, but other cycles out at that spot on the lake last weekend

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

• Like 1
Michiganr80rt
8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Who was there first, the motorcycles, or the ice fisherman?

I suspect the fishermen were there first, but the motorcycle race was planned. Two weeks earlier it was ice golf in the same place on the lake.

I get a kick out of riding the bike past the frozen lake and seeig the ice fisherman out there. It's a nice contrast of two completely opposite season activities co-existing.

I'm pretty sure they are more surprised to see me than I am to see them.

Michiganr80rt
18 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I get a kick out of riding the bike past the frozen lake and seeig the ice fisherman out there. It's a nice contrast of two completely opposite season activities co-existing.

I'm pretty sure they are more surprised to see me than I am to see them.

I think the best I saw was on a ride about this time a few years ago. There was ice fishing and motorcycles on White Lake, then there were two people kite surfing (in dry suits) on Lake Michigan at Duck Lake beach. 

• Like 1
Michiganr80rt

I think the best I saw was on a ride about this time a few years ago. There was ice fishing and motorcycles on White Lake, then there were two people kite surfing (in dry suits) on Lake Michigan at Duck Lake beach. 

Sunday vs Thursday

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

Michiganr80rt
12 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Dang.   That's cutting it close.

It is amazing what a couple of days in the 50's will do

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 10:34 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

60's in West Michigan.

Ludington, Stearns Park...? I havent ventured that far north yet.

The west Michigan lighthouse rides continue.  Frankfort pier and Point Betsie lights

I like Frankfort too.

Nice pics of yours.

I did get out for ride yesterday, and did go north, but not that far.

Michiganr80rt
9 minutes ago, Redman said:

Ludington, Stearns Park...? I havent ventured that far north yet.

Yes, Ludington

Unusually warm day yesterday. Well into the 70s inland.

But with Lake Mich water temps still in mid 40s, and a breeze from the west, it was a lot cooler along the lakeshore. So I rode north along the lakeshore.

Got a late start, and stopped at a few places to look around,

here is south of Duck Lake (not Duck Lake)

51142732637_1de907d9b5_c.jpgP1170822e by Dave Redman, on Flickr

so only make to Whitehall.

THis  old railroad trestle (now bike path) and road have caught my interest over the years. Stopped there to pose for picture (and this selfie). Locals must have thought "Oh, now is tourist season, all sorts of weird folks comming in and doing strange stuff."

uxK9iLkl.jpg

Had ice cream, then headed to the highway for trip back home. Could run in top gear till about Muskegon.

Good to get out for about 3 hours.

Michiganr80rt

Around 60 north of Muskegon when I started but by the time I got to Glen Arbor by the lake the dash thermometer said 42. I stopped for hot soup in Frankfort on the way back.

15 minutes ago, Michiganr80rt said:

. . . . . . .  Glen Arbor  . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ah, an M-22 trip. You had a lot further ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Rode into Grand Rapids.

I'll tell you why. The BMW dealer sent email newsletter saying "paying cash for used bikes", so I called last week (cold-gray then) had a good chat with the owner-manager and made something of an appointment for today, and called again today to confirm, (beautiful warm clear day today)... and when I get there, well, basically he was too busy closing deal on new bike to talk to this guy about an old bike. Waited around about 25 minutes and left.

So, since I was on that far side of Grand Rapids, thought of some place to go from there. Rode around the country side on that other side of Grand Rapids. Some rolling farm land.
Stopped at Falasburg Covered Bridge.
QKwsfwM.jpg

qQpOhFD.jpg

Are a couple other covered bridges over that way which can be made into an interesting circuit, but I hadn't prepared for that. So just followed a couple roads that looked interesting on the gps. Then buzzed back on the highway, about an hour.

Only 175 miles, fun to be out even if a large portion of it was urban.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

E N D   O F   T H E    S T O R Y

Throttle body Balance, fluid change etcetera 6000 mile service

+

Brake Flush

+

Fork Seals

+

Battery

+

Final Drive Failure (-again-)

Add up to about value of the bike.

Phooie. Aint doing it.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Redman said:

In June the 1150RT was traded in at the dealer.

today I saw it there yet.

AC4F66CD-777B-4FC0-9E55-471BA69434D4.jpeg

That’s almost apart enough to change the headlight assembly ;)

• Haha 1