IGNORED

RT now home in west Michigan

Redman

Got the RT home (from San Diego) in early June (although finished the trip in back of pickup truck).

Then in June I broke my collar bone. So no riding rest of June, all of July, all of August, and into September.

Have had the RT out for just a couple weeks now (with replacement FD).

here are some pics

Did get the little Shadow500 out at 10 1/2 week 

nzCIGi2.jpg

Wife said that was too early.

I told her I had an AMA card.

60ANHtK.jpg

Yep, Against Medical Advice

Well, my 12 week recovery has completed on Saturday.

So got out the GS1100GK that day

UfR29gG.jpg

Had last orthopedic appointment Monday, and got the all-clear rusume-regular-activity (Although still some chance of reinjury).

So did get out the RT MOnday for its first Michigan ride,  and then again  Tuesday and Friday and Saturday.

Some pics:

bgzqONS.jpg

6Szx2lJ.jpg

Lz66mW0.jpg

UAtkx7r.jpg

5ZL1rhn.jpg

5w8ZDFB.jpg

sR1o2rz.jpg

Have had a few afternoon or evening rides. But no long rides yet. Various events have been conspiring against me.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

All nice but the winner is ^ :thumbsup:

That is a sunrize, the two others are sunset.

Know how you can tell the difference? 

Am facing east in that one, and west in the others.

har har

(yes, am joking) (well, are facing east in that one, joking as if you can tell)

• Haha 1

Today first dry day in a few days.

50degF this morning, and did not warm up.

I got a thick sweatshirt for under the jacket.

Got out for a 100 mile ride.

SHould have put liner back in jacket. Yep, that time of year.

Same  destination as a couple weeks ago.

dc5vsWo.jpg

BcdRxKB.jpg

XjkMY13.jpg

17 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Ah - that's where the delicious meat snacks came from - excellent!

Yep.

And with every ride I am thankful to the folks that helped get the bike back on the road (so it was ready when I was).

Got out for morning ride, out for coffee.

830am, barley 40degF.

Afterwards, rode around town.

Found a place along the river channel going out to the piers (Lake Michigan) to pose bike in picture. Isnt really a parking place, but out of the traffic, not rteally blocking off all the sidewalk. Not many folks out on sidewalk this time of year anyway.

aW4wnc2.jpg

Coast Guard boat going out.

• Like 3

der frost is on der pumpkin.

Or at least on the Malibu in the driveway.

Did also see frost on the ground and roofs. This is good for killing off the pollen producing plants.

Ding Dong

the Weeds are dead.

the wicked weeds,

The weeds are dead.

Ding Dong

the wicked weeds are dead.

PGNlrxB.jpg

38-40 degF this morning. Did go for little ride, found the start of some fall color in a park

r3WYxvX.jpg

then stop for coffee at local coffee shop (er, um, coffee shop in a gas station),

then ran a couple of errands, got sprinkled on twice, and was raining just as I got back home (45 degF).

• Like 1

It cooled down today to 93 degrees here today....Pumpkin here is sweating his gourd off.  Love those 1150's.  I think it was the best looking rt ever.

• 2 weeks later...

42degf this morning. Suppose to be rainy tommorow and rest of week.

Went for little ride, keeping an eye open for fall color scenes.

48975735587_78b1fb1841_c.jpgP1050913c by Dave Redman, on Flickr

Not much fall color left.

But did find a red-yellow-green maple tree in town.

48975555186_6989f60dea_c.jpg

Also stopped down by the beach/pier

48975555641_becd423f70_c.jpg

48975791787_4704124336_c.jpg

• Like 1

Having owned 3 Oilhead RT's including the elusive green color, they are, without a doubt, one of the best looking Beemers ever made.

Congrats

Hi Redman,

Glad your healed up and back in the saddle. 

One question, where did you get the highway pegs?

or did you make those?

Kirkus

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, Kirkus said:

One question, where did you get the highway pegs?

or did you make those?

Kirkus

K,

CAnt tell you much about them, other than they were on the bike when I got it (Nov 2014).

I have pondered if would be possible to revise how they are assembled to be able to have the pegs on the rear of the head not the front.

>>>Later Note

Found service record the PO gave me.

Apparently in 2010 he paid the dealer to install those.

As much as I can tell you:

Highway Peg Mount: Source "AA". Part Number "HwyPeg",  $89

Chr Cap Clevis Pegs: Source "TR". Part Number "490359", $39

On 11/13/2019 at 6:36 PM, wbw6cos said:

Is that one of those iRobots for the driveway?

har har Picture does look like that har har!

Actually, is a 1989 model snowthrower. So "I" walk behind it to operate.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Now the RT gets to enjoy this like the other bikes have:

901LgLt.jpg

When I pulled it out of the garage I could hear some muttering in German. I could not understand what was said, but I suspect it was related to the fact that this San Diego bike had never experienced 10 DegF before.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Update on the RT now that it is in Michigan for the winter:

W5pTVBA.jpg

THere it sits, up on the dolly (so can get pushed into back corner easier) and covered in towels (to minimize chance of garage hazard dings).

And that is not sunshine outside. That is the typical heavy overcast. Today is the 7th day in a row with 0% sunshine.

(but have 3 grandkids within 30 miles.)

When I went to load the bike on the dolly, I neglected to get the the dolly in proper config for loading, and ended up with the bike on its side on the garage floor. Could not pick it up since the wheels were still on the dolly. Had to work the dolly out from under the bike, then could pick up the bike.

THe Shadow is along the side , Next is to get the two bikes in back corner, so can get car in garage. I will miss going to SAnDiego, but is good to have the kids nearby here.

Redman, if you are going to continue to ride in the cold (not much choice in Michigan), I will recommend some heated gear. Get a jacket liner (not just a vest, warm arms are wonderful). You will wonder what took so long to get it, you'll never be without it again! I ride on the 20's with a light long sleeve shirt, heated jacket liner, and jacket, no more bulky sweaters and layers.

Glad to see you recovered and can ride again.

Michiganr80rt
18 hours ago, Hosstage said:

if you are going to continue to ride in the cold (not much choice in Michigan),

Another West Michigan rider replying. My winter problem is not my arms and torso but my fingers. The heated grips work well for my palms but the windward side of my fingers gets cold. Does anyone have any recommendations for heated gloves or glove liners?

The temp in my part of Michigan made it into the 40's yesterday and the roads were mostly free of snow (but not salt) so I was able to get out for an hour ride.

When I asked about their heated gloves, Warm and Safe said they do not heat the palm, due to heated grips, and just heat the fingers and the back of your hand. I have not tried them yet. I just bought a pair of Gerbings gloves at the IMS show for half price. Couldn't pass it up. I will give a review, probably not sometime soon, after using them.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

Another West Michigan rider replying. My winter problem is not my arms and torso but my fingers. The heated grips work well for my palms but the windward side of my fingers gets cold. Does anyone have any recommendations for heated gloves or glove liners?

The temp in my part of Michigan made it into the 40's yesterday and the roads were mostly free of snow (but not salt) so I was able to get out for an hour ride.

FWIW

Silk glove liners help.

I also wore Aerostitch Triple Digit rain and winter overgloves.

Not everyone likes them due to the thumb, 2 finger design, I do.

Regular one for rain also insulates/blocks wind, adds warmth.

Combined they add 10-15 degrees.

Then the Aerostitich insulated overglove.

This is also water/wind block with insulated liner.

Over heated gloves, with silk liners, these worked at high speed in low teens/damp.

For overall warmth, a heated seat helps, obviously.

And, extra care with neck/head air entry.

A balaclava or BMW style windblocker, combined with a neck gaiter, seals under helmet and retains more heat.

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 9:46 PM, Hosstage said:

Redman, if you are going to continue to ride in the cold (not much choice in Michigan), I will recommend some heated gear. ..........

I do go for occassional winter ride.  Try to find a day with clear roads, preferably with little-no salt residue. Prefere upper 20s or low 30s since if in 40s then likley water running across road from melting snow banks.

And not on the RT.

Moslty on the Shadow 500 with its lower seat height and lower weight helps for getting out the icy driveway (and not too concerned if gets road salt).

Here is such an occassion Sunday

exNDfrq.jpg

I have had heated gloves for about 8 years. Made all the difference

TourMaster. Powered by the bike (battery ones 8 years ago were not common).

I got gloves since I though was the best use of 24watts (vest and jackets and pants are more like 48 or 60 or 72 watts) since my 1980s bikes dont have much extra capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Some more recent went-for-ride pics.

T89upif.jpg

/\  Southeast of Traverse City, were my wife is from.

\/  more local to home

f1PcWwK.jpg

Efc3dRw.jpg

hS3igS4.jpg

QX2Cal4.jpg

• Like 1

Love those RT's.  They are the best looking bikes that BMW ever made.  Love the Suzuki GS1100GK.  I had an '82 1100G on which I put a Vetter Windjammer IV.  Rode it for 10 years.

• 1 month later...
Michiganr80rt
13 hours ago, Redman said:

Hum.... Where ?

That photo was at the airport in Northport.  Last week I encountered a deer near Glen Arbor. I am glad the R1200RT has good brakes, and that there was only one deer.

PH000395.thumb.jpeg.d36f6c2e33c055ef05015c9fd0f3a1fc.jpeg

On 11/12/2020 at 2:35 PM, Michiganr80rt said:

That photo was at the airport in Northport.  Last week I encountered a deer near Glen Arbor.  . . . . . . 

Northport..... Glen Arbor..... ! !

You might like this Ride Report

Deer in road, yikes.

And You got a picture.

So is your "west michigan" up north there?

Michiganr80rt
7 minutes ago, Redman said:

Northport..... Glen Arbor..... ! !

You might like this Ride Report

I like the report. I think I rode M-22 seven times this year. This year instead of taking a few long trips I did a day ride of ~300 miles each week. My guidelines were to avoid the fast roads and stop at a brewery for lunch. I traveled most of the lower peninsula and took one multi day ride to the UP in September.

15 minutes ago, Michiganr80rt said:

. . . . . . .  . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . ... . .  I did a day ride of ~300 miles each week. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  

Sounds like a good idea.

Starting from where ?

So that put you a little closer to M-22 than me (south of Grand Haven).

Other Fun ride, that is closer, is from Muskegon to Newaygo on River Rd and River Rd and RiverRd.

55degF in mid November.

Yah, got out for a ride.

Into town, cruise by beach to see waves since was a windy day.

9i48gwb.jpg

thru a wooded dunland park. Found a little leaf-covered service drive to park bike and go for a walk.

View here from up on a ridge

mxAE83G.jpg

Stopped for a quick lunch at a burger stand. Pretty much unchanged since 1964. Other than, now call in order, and they bring it out.

Well, they do have onion petals instead of onion rings now. Is the first time I have tried them.

gomoK2R.jpg

Then rode out of town.

Was good to get out for about 3 hours.