IGNORED

Another way to Tahoe

RPondaRoad

Riding Highway 50 to the south shore of Lake Tahoe isn't unpleasant except for the times when traffic clogs the often 2 lane byway.  It's well forested and has great views of the American River as it flows toward Sacramento.  But, from Friday after noon until late on Sunday, the stop and go can last for what seems like endless miles.  With that in mind, I left my home which is east of Sacramento, but closer to the Interstate 80 corridor and crossed over to Hwy. 50.  I took the highway up to Pollack Pines and took the exit to Sly Park and then turned left onto Mormon Emigrant Trail which old timers like me still call Iron Mountain Road sometimes.  

Going this way to the south shore of Tahoe adds about 35 beautiful miles when compared with going straight up Hwy. 50.  The road surface is covered in snow all winter, but in the dry months it is in excellent condition as it twists and winds it's way up to Hwy. 88.  I write this because if you're coming to this part of California to ride, Mormon Emigrant Trail is an interesting way to get from the Sierra Nevada foothills into the high country.  And, it's almost traffic free...I only saw 4 other vehicles while riding it.  Once you've reached the end of Mormon Emigrant, if you turn left on Hwy. 88 you'll come to the first views of Silver Lake after 7 miles.  Then you'll twist your way up to Carson Pass (Kit Carson), ride by Caples Lake with Round Top Mountain Peak behind it and find your way to Pickett's Junction where you'll turn left to go over Luther Pass and into the small town of Meyers.  A right turn at the bottom of Luther Pass brings you back onto Hwy. 50 and takes you into the town of South Lake Tahoe.  I chose to ride the west shore of the Lake which took me by Emerald Bay, my favorite part of the lake.  But, to get up to the view of the bay, there are four very tight switchbacks with steep grades and cambers.  You'll want to ride these carefully.  

I enjoyed the bay views, and the lake views as I made my way around the lake and then headed into Truckee and home on I-80.  It was just a perfect fall day in the mountains...it was in the high 50's in the passes, low 70's around the lake, and a balmy 100 degrees at my house when I got home.  

Below:  Emerald Bay, Fanette Island and the Tahoe Queen.

Emerald Bay.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1