IGNORED

Garmin 595 vs car unit

randy

so I am wondering (assuming rain is not an issue) if the larger screen DriveSmart 55 is just as functional as the 595.  I know it does not have glove touch functionality and is not weather protected, but neither of those are issues to me.  has anyone looked at or have real motorcycle use of a car unit on the bike?  In my case specifically the larger DriveSmart 55 unit.

16 minutes ago, randy said:

so I am wondering (assuming rain is not an issue) if the larger screen DriveSmart 55 is just as functional as the 595.  I know it does not have glove touch functionality and is not weather protected, but neither of those are issues to me.  has anyone looked at or have real motorcycle use of a car unit on the bike?  In my case specifically the larger DriveSmart 55 unit.

Afternoon Randy

I can't comment on the specific  DriveSmart 55 that you are asking about but the one BIG thing to keep in mind when it comes to motorcycle type GPS units vs automotive only devices is that a lot of automotive GPS devices will not allow a pre-made  (off-device) routes or tracks to be sent to them.

That isn't a big deal for automotive usage as most auto users just want to get to the destination, it can be a big deal to a motorcycle user as  a lot of motorcycle users want to pre-make  specific   routes (including underlying tracks) then ride that route exactly as pre-made & pre-planned.

If this is something that you want/need then verify that the GPS device that you are looking at can use (off-device made routes & tracks).

I would check out the units ability to view the screen in direct sunlight.  I have a hiking  Garmin 64S unit that is great in direct sunlight.  I have two automotive units that work very well on my bike until they get in direct sunlight.  I have the same sunlight problem with my iPhone.  Nearly impossible to read in direct sunlight. That's the only issue I would check out.  I actually use two GPS when traveling.  Let's me have twice as much information without scrolling around.  Also one always works in direct sunlight.

1 hour ago, randy said:

yes I did verify that.  the DriveSmart unit will take routes from Basecamp. No difference from the 595

Afternoon Randy

OK, that is a big plus,

Trans-reflective screen is nice as a back-lit screen is poor in the direct sunlight. (what screen does the DriveSmart 55 have?)

What about power options?  It probably comes with some sort of suction cup in-car mount but how are you going to mount & power it on your motorcycle?  A powered mount is a big plus, powering with a USB cable on an exposed motorcycle is not a good way to power a GPS.

If you have to buy a completely different powered  motorcycle mount will that drive the price up enough to make the 595 a better option? Can you buy a motorcycle capable powered mount? Or can the car mount be modified to mount to a motorcycle?

As I mentioned above I have no knowledge of the DriveSmart 55, about all I can add is that pretty well everyone that I know that has tried to use an automotive only GPS on a motorcycle eventually wishes they had bought a  motorcycle capable  type GPS. But things have changed so possibly the DriveSmart 55 will work with few limitations. 

Start a list of ALL the things that you require, from motorcycle mounting, to powering on the motorcycle, to usage in direct sunlight, to track importation, to ease of use while motorcycle mounted, etc. Then research the DriveSmart 55 to be sure that it meets all of your requirements.  (or that reasonably priced things are available to make it work for you). 

not familiar with the 55 either.  The one thing I would want to know is if you can use while moving. I would ask Garmin for specifics about screen, water, and moving commands. It looks eerily similar to the interface I have in one of my cars.  You can't do squat with it while moving and is a serious pain in the rear end to pull over to put in an address or a location. If all that works our for you might be worth a try.....and as others said...check mounting options as suction cup will not likely be very helpfull

One thing I learned a few years ago was that most automobile Garmin GPS units would not connect to a bluetooth headset. If you wanted the nav directions spoken in your helmet you had to buy a Zumo

4 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I can't comment on the specific  DriveSmart 55 that you are asking about but the one BIG thing to keep in mind when it comes to motorcycle type GPS units vs automotive only devices is that a lot of automotive GPS devices will not allow a pre-made  (off-device) routes or tracks to be sent to them.

That isn't a big deal for automotive usage as most auto users just want to get to the destination, it can be a big deal to a motorcycle user as  a lot of motorcycle users want to pre-make  specific   routes (including underlying tracks) then ride that route exactly as pre-made & pre-planned.

If this is something that you want/need then verify that the GPS device that you are looking at can use (off-device made routes & tracks).

I ran with a Nuvi 57 and I was able to load most of the routes from Ellijay.  They worked fine once I figured out the technology, it was first for me.  AFAIK, the functionality of the car units (Garmin at least) is very close to the Zumo versions.   The newer versions like the drivesmart 50 support bluetooth so should be able to talk to a headset as well as the car audio.  Here is one article that talks about the differences:

https://www.mountguys.com/difference-between-car-gps-motorcycle-gps/

The Zumo has a much better mount for a bike, though my Nuvi fits in a nice sturdy RAM cradle.  I don't think the newer drivesmart versions have one that works as well. 

This is the Garmin Nuvi I used, cost me about 40 bucks on ebay.  If it rains, I pull it off the mount, or I can put a plastic bag over it.  I already had the Ram mount, but IIRC they cost about 20 bucks for the mount and a few more for the arm.  It worked fine with the gloves I used too.

aXcjvFw.jpg

that is a great link, thanks.   So my research pretty matched the articles comments.  As noted, as I do not interface with my GPS while riding, I do not care about the glove capability.  Also I have old man eyes, so 99% of my routing is by voice not visual, so the screen wash out is of limited concern.  I do recognize the mounting and power connection as real issues.  But again at 600.00 for the zumo and 200.00 for the 55 I can buy three to one. However I will note, my current 695 has lasted 12 years so I really do respect the quality of the zumo line of GPS.  Interesting decision.

Hey, Randy,

I've used several "auto" GPS units on my bikes for several years.  I've been using an old Nuvi 3590LM mostly, it has the high-def screen, more like a cellphone screen.  It will take touch commands with a damp leather glove most of the time but it's kinda like trying to type with a mop.  RAM even makes a special powered adapter with a quick disconnect for the "3500" series.  I've also used the RAM cell phone holder on a Nuvi.  I keep a pen with a touch tip on my tank bag, too.

Rain doesn't seem to bother it.  It's been soaked many times.  I power it from a USB port nearby.  

For routing I've tried several things.  Base Camp is a royal pain.  I don't do off-road so it's much easier to plan a route on Google Maps, then input intersections as waypoints.  If you input them in reverse direction to travel they come out correctly.  Some Nuvi units have a very limited number of waypoints you can use, so just break it into two or more routes. 

Come see us in Roswell!!

Lowndes

2 hours ago, randy said:

As noted, as I do not interface with my GPS while riding, I do not care about the glove capability.  Also I have old man eyes, so 99% of my routing is by voice not visual, so the screen wash out is of limited concern. 

Afternoon Randy

Don't discount some screen interface while riding as many new design Garmin GPS devices might force you into it.

One example that I can think of is route recalculation, if you turn automatic recalculation off you might get a pop-up on the screen that asks you make a recalculation decision then a screen (or button) input to get the GPS back to proper routing again. 

If you leave  auto recalculation on then you can end up with a changed route if you miss a turn or do some riding maneuver that the GPS deems as off route.  

Same with a detour, you might need to quickly do a detour while riding.

sorry I was not clear.  I do not interface with the GPS while moving.  I just do not feel I have the skill set to do so.  If I need to interact with the GPS I pull over.  

I'm sure outher GPS units will work just fine and if cost is the issue the Non Zumo units are usually cheaper, that said I have had my Zumo 450 for over a decade and it still works like a champ its only real issue is a small memory onboard , my 2008 RT came with the mount for a 395 already installed and I was to lazy to rewire so I grabbed a refurbished 395LM for $250, I may keep the 450 for my car ( or Ill sell it cheap to someone in need ) . If the 395 is anywhere near as rugged as the 450 I expect to have it as long as I own my RT , I have not seen a car only unit that would hold up that well over time.