IGNORED

R1200RT

Rube

I just purchased a used R1200RT. I haven't had a BMW in a while. 1st off, love the bike. handling and power is good, rider comfort is excellent... My old bones appreciate it. Yesterday I rode and forgot to take my hearing aides out of my ears. I noticed the valve train seemed loud and once I realized I had the hearing aides in I removed them for fear of them getting lost. Immediately I noticed how much quieter the engine sounded. Duh... (I am used to the trans tho). So, I have a question - should the valve train be noisy? The bike has 30,500+ miles on it. It is definitely louder than the brick I had last. The PO had the bike serviced since day one at the same dealer. I assume I should check the valves but haven's yet. Sounds like a sewing machine.

4 minutes ago, Rube said:

I just purchased a used R1200RT. I haven't had a BMW in a while. 1st off, love the bike. handling and power is good, rider comfort is excellent... My old bones appreciate it. Yesterday I rode and forgot to take my hearing aides out of my ears. I noticed the valve train seemed loud and once I realized I had the hearing aides in I removed them for fear of them getting lost. Immediately I noticed how much quieter the engine sounded. Duh... (I am used to the trans tho). So, I have a question - should the valve train be noisy? The bike has 30,500+ miles on it. It is definitely louder than the brick I had last. The PO had the bike serviced since day one at the same dealer. I assume I should check the valves but haven's yet. Sounds like a sewing machine.

Afternoon  marknetm  

Defining valve noise or valve clatter over the internet is difficult as what is loud to you might be quiet to me.

They sure are not silent as the valve train is not  hydraulic but they aren't excessively noisy either.

The cylinder heads (covers)  are out in the open so any noise (even slight) is right there to hear.

Definitely do a good valve adjustment as a starting place then see what you have noise wise.

What year is your bike? I have a "Camhead" RT (2010-2013) and like that it sounds like a sewing machine. To me, "Wethead" RTs (2014-2018) definitely have a clattering quality to them though it's subtle, not like a bunch of loose ball bearings (I'm not sure if this extends to the newer "Shiftheads" (2019-).

• Like 1