IGNORED

The times they are a changin'

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I found this place over twenty years ago, right around the time I bought my first bike - a '99 R1100RT.  Back then, it was Carey's R1100RT Resource Pages, and the link was www.bmwr1100rt.com.  

With the arrival of the R1150RT in 2002, the site's link was changed to the slightly more inclusive www.bmwrt.com.  Here's a picture from the afternoon ride at Dave Baker's 20002 Tennessee Taste Tech & Trek, one of the first Tech Daze events held by the folks on this site:

(click on pic to open full-sized image in new window for closer inspection)

2002-06-TTTT-18

Count 'em up: there's 18 RTs and one GS. 

I guess you'd call that lone GS a bellwether. At the FART event just this past weekend, I took a walk around the hotel and collected these shots:

2019-09-FART-11

2019-09-FART-12

2019-09-FART-13

2019-09-FART-14

2019-09-FART-15

2019-09-FART-16

2019-09-FART-17

2019-09-FART-18

2019-09-FART-19

2019-09-FART-20

2019-09-FART-21

2019-09-FART-22

2019-09-FART-23

2019-09-FART-24

2019-09-FART-25

2019-09-FART-26

Here's what I counted:

RTs: 14

GSs: 28

Other: 6

These days the site is called www.bmwsporttouring.com, and those pictures tell you why.  :burnout:

• Like 4

I know what you mean. Times are a-changing. Funny how that happens. I notice a significant drop in message inputs on the forum and this is not only here but on another forum I read daily. 

Traffic is down everywhere. The same, thank goodness, leading posters remain, and the wealth of experience and knowledge is still here. The bikes change, the technology advances and some of the "seniors" have fewer posts.... alas... the times are a-changing.... I am glad to see the photos and posts- wish I could be there myself. Torrey looks like a greatly diminishing event, and it seems to have fewer new guys/gals. There was a time when you had to make your reservation about a year in advance... The Times are changing... I wish it was for the better. Kudos to Larry, Edd and the others.... good luck brothas... ride safe and carry on.... I'll be here with you to the bitter end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
John Ranalletta

This weekend was special as it's the first time since I've been on the board (Jun 2002) that someone I invited did attend.  Most attendees met Mark Mikita of Charlotte.  

Mark was a casual acquaintance as we've only met a few times at a mutual friend's house.  I think Mark was impressed that he could show up, be warmly welcomed and integrate himself into the rides and social activities.  I'm not sure we "need" more attendees at FART or START, but it was a pleasure to introduce Mark to the experience.

• Like 1

Rode my R1150RT to the AIMExpo (Columbus, OH) this Saturday. Well attended event. We got free parking and could have done some demo rides. The electric bikes were demo'd like crazy.

the BMW riders in attendance were definitely 80% or more on GS's. But that isn't anything new. Just go to any BMW rally.

I love dirt riding, but did it in my youth. I do take my RT and R90s on dirt roads where I live, but my love is still the tarmac.

• Like 1

BMWAdventureTouring.com? :dontknow: :grin:

In the small sampling we saw with the UNrally poll, the GS-A has overtaken the RT in popularity. Function over form I guess. Or to be more exact, the ability to explore a little further down that country path without fear of damage is priceless.

• Like 4
Joe Frickin' Friday
24 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Or to be more exact, the ability to explore a little further down that country path without fear of damage is priceless.

No idea what you're talking about.

"NO WINTER MAINTENANCE BEYOND THIS POINT"

2003-05-79

2003-05-80

What, you've never high-centered a 600-pound bike before?  

In the snow?

With street-treaded tires?

Five miles from civilization?

Taken from my "It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time" file

• Like 4

In the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy here. " If you've ever high-centered a 600 pound BMW RT on an icy snow mound out in the middle of nowhere, you might be a GS rider" :grin:

• Like 1

It took me awhile (too long) to realize there was something better after going down a lot of Florida sandy two track on airheads and RT's in the 80's and 90's.

6 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

2003-05-80

What, you've never high-centered a 600-pound bike before?  

In the snow?

With street-treaded tires?

Five miles from civilization?

Taken from my "It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time" file

I'da pulled it on its side and drug it where I could pop it back up,.....but then again, cosmetics isn't my strong suit ;)

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Bill, don't forget about the little stint you had on the wing. ;) Man, you made that look easy! :grin:

That wasn't me Pat, I had my girlfriend on the back.. :grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1