IGNORED

F800GT Questions

Don Melvin

I recently sold my 04 R1150RT and am on the hunt for a lighter bike that might come close to the comfort, performance, and reliability I enjoyed with the RT.  I'm going to check out a F800GT this week and am wondering what other folks think about the bike.  In particular I'm curious about reliability and maintenance requirements. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:30 AM, Don Melvin said:

I recently sold my 04 R1150RT and am on the hunt for a lighter bike that might come close to the comfort, performance, and reliability I enjoyed with the RT.  I'm going to check out a F800GT this week and am wondering what other folks think about the bike.  In particular I'm curious about reliability and maintenance requirements. 

Afternoon Don

I can't comment about the 800GT performance or rideability as I don't own a 800GT. But I do own an 800GS & that is basically a nice bike.

Basic 800 service is fairly easy such as brake bleed service & oil changes, etc.   The valve adjustment is a REAL PAIN  as a lot of things need to be removed just to access the valve area then working down deep between the frame rails is frustrating. Then the cams need to be removed or lifted to make any valve lash changes.  Even spark plug replacement is big pain.

You need to sort of watch what year 800 that you are buying  as the early 800 bikes had some charging system issues with stator failures. The GT wasn't as bad  as the  GS but there were still a number of stator failures. Big improvement once BMW went to a new design flywheel with oil flow holes allowing good stator cooling (I'm not sure when the GT got the new flywheel but the GS was around 2015) -- worth looking into anyhow. (FWIW the new BMW replacement stator comes with an included updated  flywheel at about $1200.00_ ouch). There are aftermarket to be had though.  

The GT uses a rear drive belt (expensive but fairly hearty) the only limitation to the drive belt is gravel roads as if a stone gets in between the belt & the sprocket it can punch a hole in the belt (fairly decent belt protection but not enclosed so a stone can find it's way in).

Both  the 800GT & the 800GS had some handlebar switch issues (like most newer BMW bikes).

The other thing that kind of bothers me on the 800 bikes is the fuel pump is not anodized so alcohol fuel can eventually eat on the fuel pump (few pump failures but not an awful lot) -- I run just a very slight amount of good 2 cycle oil in my fuel (very/very  little) just enough to keep the pump lubricated, I'm not sure  if it helps much but so far I haven't had any pump issues even after a few winter storages.

The 800 does have a couple of vibration RPM zones but it is livable  & you can usually gear around riding in the worst RPM ranges. The GT is geared a little higher than the GS so that might tame the vibes a little.

I have a 2014 GT with 24K and find it high in sportiness and fun factor, yet low in maintenance requirements. The bike handles really well, and because of the light weight it's great to just hop on and go for a ride.  Simple, easy, and fun, in comparison to my RT, which sometime feels too big and heavy. The hard luggage on the GT makes it flexible for sport touring if you like the mildly sporty ergos.  I have neck issues so prefer my RT for longer distance touring endeavors, but the GT fits me like a glove for sporting day rides (I'm 5'9).

The power is fine, but needs some revs to get moving. Doesn't have the torque of the boxer. Some have complained about engine heat, which I have no problems with, even living in the desert southwest and riding in 100 deg, but some do. This seems personal in terms of issues - if you hug the frame with your knees, you will get engine heat off the frame rails. Another occasional complaint is engine buzziness at 4200-4500 (75 mph) which didn't bother me but I installed heavier bar end weights anyway.

Overall, the F800GT is sporty, fun, reliable, and easy to maintain. Amazingly versatile, and a good looking bike, too. It's also very fuel efficient. I average 54mpg and don't poke along.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 2:08 PM, mesquite said:

I have a 2014 GT with 24K and find it high in sportiness and fun factor, yet low in maintenance requirements. The bike handles really well, and because of the light weight it's great to just hop on and go for a ride.  Simple, easy, and fun, in comparison to my RT, which sometime feels too big and heavy. The hard luggage on the GT makes it flexible for sport touring if you like the mildly sporty ergos.  I have neck issues so prefer my RT for longer distance touring endeavors, but the GT fits me like a glove for sporting day rides (I'm 5'9).

The power is fine, but needs some revs to get moving. Doesn't have the torque of the boxer. Some have complained about engine heat, which I have no problems with, even living in the desert southwest and riding in 100 deg, but some do. This seems personal in terms of issues - if you hug the frame with your knees, you will get engine heat off the frame rails. Another occasional complaint is engine buzziness at 4200-4500 (75 mph) which didn't bother me but I installed heavier bar end weights anyway.

Overall, the F800GT is sporty, fun, reliable, and easy to maintain. Amazingly versatile, and a good looking bike, too. It's also very fuel efficient. I average 54mpg and don't poke along.

What windshield do you have on your GT?  I've had the opportunity to ride one a couple times now and really like the bike but I'd have find an aftermarket windshield.  I've got pretty bad tinnitus and even with plugs, the stock windshield really lit my ears up.  I've been reading some interesting manufacturers claims about the VStream windshields but haven't talked to anyone yet that actually had one.

Hi Don,

I have the stock windshield which i prefer with stock ergos, which are a little forward leaning. But I dont take long trips on it. Many guys end up rotating everything back - bar risers, taller windscteen, lower pegs.. but that changes the bike to less sporty in my opinion. I have an RT for touring. I understand the tinnitus problem, have it myself. I use earplugs but for long days in the saddle on a GT you will probably need a higher windscreen. 

There is a big discussion over on F800 riders board about windscreens. Under F800GT Modifications.. with stock ergos (bar height) the VStream sport looks like a great option. And a friend of mine runs the VStream Touring, but with Verholen risers. Some guys run Madstad but it sure makes a pretty bike ugly imho, and draws more engine heat onto you. 

Good luck on it, they're great bikes.

Cheers ,

John