IGNORED

Fall 2019 Torrey Check in

Home after a 9 3/4 hour dash back.  Got a good washing at Fishlake.  A transient was walking in the fast lane on the Virgin Gorge Southbound.  How no one hit him is a miracle.

Left late , home around 6:30 AZ time .... worst winds I've ever experienced all the way from Torrey to Tucson .... never let up ... the only respite was from Phx to Tucson it was mostly blowing from behind .

If I decide to live in Pendleton I could be home...but I think it will just be home for tonight. About 775 miles spread over 14 hours. Snow: check. Rain: check. Wind: check. Sun: check. Temp range from 30-50: check. 

I’m looking forward to part two tomorrow - no more passes, so maybe it will be a little warmer and little less snowy. :)

...unless I decide to go north first and ride around Mt. Rainier...hmm....

• Like 1
18 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Left late , home around 6:30 AZ time .... worst winds I've ever experienced all the way from Torrey to Tucson .... never let up ... the only respite was from Phx to Tucson it was mostly blowing from behind .

It wasn't too pleasant from Boulder to Mt Carmel either. Oy. 

10 hours ago, beemerboy said:

I told him that yesterday morning but he scoffed at me. Kids.....:old:

Oh - THAT’S what you said! 

Since I made it a point to put on extra miles yesterday so I wouldn’t have to go over Deadman Pass this morning, I decided to go over another pass instead (logical, right?). 

All told, 2600 miles round trip - rolled into the driveway at 1440 and had the bike washed by 1500. 

D4DDA548-51EC-4493-ABBF-D66ECEB26601.thumb.jpeg.e84ab83c99166ef2cfb2e17c183c6d61.jpeg

925C6675-08DD-4C9F-A713-C39B09E49B81.thumb.jpeg.729c8b1a35ebf3572c212857c22a9482.jpeg

EB82D68D-8318-48A1-B0BB-473B8B600CE5.thumb.jpeg.e13e4930e12457132fb36f5352244196.jpeg

AD858D96-7435-4A9D-A474-8A0B2C861C99.thumb.jpeg.3dc6de4cd9b13bcbba34351c05dfd96e.jpeg

• Like 1

Jon T and I got home this afternoon after spending the night in Fallon, NV to avoid the snow storm over the Sierra passes on I-80.  We still had a few dicey moments over Donner Summit today  as another little snow flurry painted the asphalt white and we puckered up big time!

It was a great time with wonderful people and incredible scenery.   I didn't realize how much I've missed it.  

• Like 1

Left Mesquite 09:30am this morning with Long John

A very pleasant ride thru the desert for a change. Very little traffic on the South bound I-15. Temps ranged from 60 to 70.

• Like 2

I've finally recovered enough to post to let everyone know I made it home at 11:00 am on Sunday after a grueling three hour ride home.:wave:

• Haha 2

Home safe yesterday after an overnight pitstop in-between.  Hella wind, but I'll take it over the 3 hours of snow riding in spring to get out. 

• Like 1

With the bike acting up, we took the car this time and played "tourist."  Sightseeing and eating.  Up UT95 on Thursday and through Glen Canyon.  It was spectacular (it's always better going north). Friday it was Fish Lake/Gooseberry Road and stunning foliage.  After dinner at The Diablo Cafe (good, but not as great as it used to be, although the larger portions leave you with a doggy bag for the next day's lunch, so there's that) we went to a stargazing presentation (mostly a presentation about the moon and the Apollo program) at the Amphitheater inside Capitol Reef NP.  Interesting and informative, but not captivating.  The next day we took the Scenic Drive inside of Captiol Reef, and ventured for several miles past where the pavement ended.  Interesting to learn that this narrow rocky/dirt canyon, with barely enough room for two opposing cars, used to be the old UT24, before they cut the road we all know now through the actual NP.  For dinner it was off to Bicknell to try the Curry Pizza.  Interesting and very flavorful.  But it's not going to be a future "must."  Sunday found us driving the John Burr Trail from Notom Road back up to Boulder, enjoying some magnificent scenery.  Ended up at Hell's Backbone Kitchen for lunch.  Still good. 

Took Sunday afternoon off and then enjoyed a truly great burger at Red Cliffs.  That may be the last one.  The place is under contract to be sold to the owner of Slackers, and we all know what happened to that place.  Everyone from BMWST used to eat there when it was Brinks Burger.  Not any more.  The new owner is supposed to be changing the menu at Red Cliffs.  We'll see.  Along with the Capitol Reef Burger Truck, it was the only really good burger in town.  And the pizza was pretty good, too.

Monday it was quite a bit cooler than the previous mornings, but the wind was gone.  A nice leisurely drive up to I-70, over to Grand Junction, then down Montrose and home without incident.  About 4 hours of road time, plus 90 minutes of shopping time in Grand Junction.  Left at 9AM, home at 2:30.  Got the laundry done as I filled my MotoReflective orders for the past 5 days and got them to the post office before 5.  By 7PM, life was back to normal.  But OH, the memories.

Great to see everyone there.  Missed my friend Al Schibi.

Thanks to all that helped me load the bike, backwards.  Still looking for the pic of Whip riding my bike.

It took me all of 15 seconds to unload it once I got home.

M

On 10/1/2019 at 12:04 PM, Tank said:

At My sister in Ashland Or. , What a Great Torrey, thank everyone

Tank, it was good to see you.  I agree, it was a great Torrey.

i got this one...and a couple others - but maybe that's not what you're looking for?IMG_8491.thumb.jpg.a755c51860871dc1344e9a2b042804f5.jpg

(I say that because I think I already posted it in the pics thread in "ride tales"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 12:55 PM, Stir said:

Thanks to all that helped me load the bike, backwards.  Still looking for the pic of Whip riding my bike.

It took me all of 15 seconds to unload it once I got home.

M

Torrey’s new adventure trail?

88F72B1C-208B-461E-91AC-9B3CA5A9E1C8.jpeg

• Haha 1