IGNORED

Loud internal exaust rattle

gep2show

I have a 2002 RT that makes a loud rattling sound inside the exaust pipe when I rev tne motor.It's as if there is something loose internally. Any thoughts....Thanks

Paul_Burkett

Where is the rattle, in the exhaust its self, the cat converter, or the muffler? When do you here it, start low revs, high revs, under load in high gear at low speeds? Also, please fill in your profile, we are not going to stalk you or anything.

I have a 2002 RT that makes a loud rattling sound inside the exaust pipe when I rev tne motor.It's as if there is something loose internally. Any thoughts....Thanks

I'm no BMW tech, but on a car exhaust, that's a good sign that the Cat is going bad.

The rattle starts at high revs in neutral or while riding in any gear...I have not pinpointed the exact location of the sound...Thanks

I had a cat go on an old Trans Am back in the 80s.That just might be the culprit.Can the cat be replaced by a "test" pipe without any problems as far as inspections go? Thanks

Paul_Burkett

Yes, you can replace the cat and not have any problems with inspections, because you will be saving the cat for re-installation for inspections of when you sell it.

Bart Anderson

Are you sure it's internal? I had a gnarly rattle last year...the rubber mounting bushing at the rear muffler hangar had worked its way out and disappeared. #2 in the diagram below...$2 fix.

65917427-M.jpg

2wheelterry

I have always been sucessful replicating those pesky exhaust rattles by banging/knocking on the various exhaust components. Give it a try if you haven't.

Archived