IGNORED

Unrally location: Where the hell is Cambria, CA?

graydude

22 minutes ago, Angel said:

If you are thinking about.... MAKE it Happen! I spent a few days along the central coast about a month ago (mid sept.). Great roads all around. Good food and Wine can easily be found.  I'm thinking that you will not be disappointed.  

Amen.  This location was picked because it is so much more than a ride in.  Don't miss this trip of a lifetime!

Seems like winter is coming to us here in Michigan, so we need to begin planning for this ride!  Sounds like a really great Pied Piper style ride.  Finding the best routes from the Rockies to the coast in July will be interesting.

• Like 2

We are chocking on the prices. Looks like great riding, but...RV camping might be an option for us, but that would require 2 vehicles, 1 to tow the travel trailer and 1 to tow the bikes.

• Like 1
On 10/16/2019 at 5:27 AM, mt65804 said:

Pied Piper!

WV was my first BMWST event.  Jamie took us through the 'tunnel of death'.  Good times :)  !

It was great hosting the Pied Pipers riders last stop. If there was to be another PP, I would consider joining up with that rather than flying to SF and renting a bike. Could we get Endobob to start it and stop by Indy on the way and pick up Dave before heading to our place.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:30 PM, upfisk said:

RV camping might be an option for us, but that would require 2 vehicles, 1 to tow the travel trailer and 1 to tow the bikes.

It may not be appropriate, or comfortable, for you, but many western states allow you to pull 2 trailers, if the second one is a "utility" trailer.  I've done it.  But don't try to back up with such a rig.

I'm also considering an RV trip to the area with my 5th-wheel rig.  Anybody know of good camping spots nearby?

On 10/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, Ken S said:

It may not be appropriate, or comfortable, for you, but many western states allow you to pull 2 trailers, if the second one is a "utility" trailer. 

California is not one of them, however.

13 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

California is not one of them, however.

Thanks Bill for the clarification.  Every source I've looked at over the years said it was legal, with lots of restrictions that were indecipherable.

3 hours ago, Ken S said:

Thanks Bill for the clarification.  Every source I've looked at over the years said it was legal, with lots of restrictions that were indecipherable.

But you can...pull a double!  :ohboy: 

However, you'll need to have a Commercial Class A License with a 'T' Double / Triple endorsement. 

Most folks that are pulling Rv's and such have a non-commercial license.  Thus the answer would be No.

More reading... 

Recreational Vehicles and Trailers handbook
RVs Towing Cars or Other Vehicles Towing small cars behind an RV has become a popular way of providing transportation after the RV is parked at a campsite. Towing a car differs from towing travel trailers or fifth-wheel trailers. Very little hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on all four wheels and only minimal hitch weight is involved when the car is towed on a dolly. If you wish to tow a vehicle behind your RV, you need to consider whether or not your motor home can handle the extra weight under all conditions (i.e., climbing steep hills or mountains). Your vehicle must have sufficient power to climb grades without holding up traffic and its braking power must be sufficient to stop the combined weight of the RV plus the car and/or tow dolly effectively. RV chassis manufacturers provide limits on the gross combined weight of the RV plus car. If you are towing a car, be sure the hitch attachment on the RV is secure. Hitch weight ratings are usually stamped on the hitch assemblies. The tow bar attachment is also a concern because of the integrated frame construction used in most small cars. If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not. Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car. 28 It’s easy to forget you are towing a car when driving a large RV because you can’t see it. So remember to allow extra space when entering a freeway or passing another vehicle so you won’t cut off the other driver. Your vehicle combination cannot exceed 65 feet. However, cities and counties may prohibit vehicle combination lengths over 60 feet, when posted (CVC §35401). One other thing to consider—you may only tow one vehicle with your noncommercial Class A, B, or C driver license. You may not tow two vehicles or trailers with a noncommercial Class A, B, or C driver license. EXAMPLE: You cannot tow a boat trailer and a car behind your vehicle.

CA Gov. LINK commercial

• Like 1
6 hours ago, LBump said:

But you can...pull a double!  :ohboy: 

However, you'll need to have a Commercial Class A License with a 'T' Double / Triple endorsement. 

That would explain why I've NEVER seen such a rig in California, but have seen them in other states.  I'm not complaining.  It's bad enough to have yoyos with no training, experience, or sense towing ONE trailer, let alone TWO!

• Thanks 1
On 10/16/2019 at 7:27 AM, 3Putt said:

Pied Piper!

WV was my first BMWST event.  Jamie took us through the 'tunnel of death'.  Good times :)  !

You had to stir up that memory, here come the nightmares! :4296:

• Like 2

I missed it during the UN but the stories were so fascinating that I had to ride back and find it! :thumbsup: Granted I didn't hit it at 50 MPH (in a group) but watch my light disappear, fifty feet in. :eek:

I showed this to my wife and much to my surprise she suggested a fly and ride. She flies, I ride, and then we ride once in California.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  Years ago we visited this area with our young children and had a lot of fun.  I have always wanted to take a cross country trip and ride the PCH and then make my way back to Florida via Yellowstone, the Dakotas, and so on.  This just might be the opportunity........... 

• Like 1

We liked this location for the very reasons you mention.  It’s a great destination for a once in a life time trip!  Something for everyone whether it’s wine tasting, whale watching, riding scenic roads or just enjoying the California coast.  It will be a hoot!

• Thanks 1

Know the PCH well.  Especially north of San Francisco.  Am a native Californian from the Sacramento area.  Our local club the River City Beemers have several rides a year to the north coast.  The southern coast is a great route also but has a lot of traffic.  Have to ride it early before the motorhomes slow it down.  

Thanks for all your work on this...it looks great! I’ve begun the discussion with SWMBO. I’m about 110% sure she wouldn’t be able to do the 4,000 miles of cross country riding (back surgery a few years ago),  but I could possibly talk her into meeting me somewhere and riding some of the coast. 

I’m a tentative “in.”

Dennis Andress

There was a time when I had every reason to believe  I'd never leave California, wonderful roads and an endless supply of places to see. Motorcycle nirvana. If you can, go. If you are sitting on the fence, go. Cambria and the PCH  are only a fraction of what's available. Set aside a few days - maybe a week - before or after the UN to ride roads that will leave you breathless. Stay away from the big cities. Don't even think about going to Yosemite... Talk to @Beagler for ideas. pashnit.com went commercial but there is still a wealth of ideas on his site. Southbayriders.com has a clickable ride map with years of ride tales.

My point is, this is probably going to be an expensive trip. Go big and see all you can, or go home and look at other's pictures.

ADSC0062-X3.png

Edited by Dennis Andress
Found the link to the map
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

@Mike Fly SWMBO to Firsco and rent her one of these!

Not a bad idea! Much of this rides on how crazy things are by July...we’re launching a new business on 1/1/2020, so free time may be hard to come by. 

• 3 weeks later...

This could be fun and I think the numbers are reasonable as I tour all over the west coast (much as possible!).

Does the hierarchy allow RS hooligans?

Cheers!

Spence

22 hours ago, wills said:

This could be fun and I think the numbers are reasonable as I tour all over the west coast (much as possible!).

Cheers!

Spence

Only if they promise to ride so the rest of us can keep up.

L

• Like 1

Christina and I would definitely like to go.  You state that we need to prepay our registration before a room registration code is forwarded to us.  I'm kind of new, so how to I prepay for our registration?

It sounds awesome and we are really looking forward to it.

Thanks

On 12/2/2019 at 12:35 PM, Whip said:

Only if they promise to ride so the rest of us can keep up.

Only if they promise to wait for us at the next turning point so we don't get lost.

There, fixed it for you. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 1:53 PM, wills said:

Cheers!

Spence

So, can anyone join in? 

AdventurePoser

There are so many fancy roads in this area, such as Peachtree Lane, CA 25, Parkfield Cafe, etc, etc.  And they all lead back to the Main Street Cafe and some of the best BBQ beef ribs I've ever eaten!  Probably in for this one!

• Like 2