IGNORED

PIAA Driving Lights ??? Can’t find replacement bulb.

Kirkus

So one of the PIAA driving light bulbs decided to crap out on the ride home from work today.

worked fine on the ride into work this morning. 

Checked the PIAA web site and it looks like I have the 1100X Kit with bulb #15352.

looks like the kit and replacement bulbs are out of stock or discontinued.

Did the Google... checked several other sites, no luck locating a bulb.

anyone know of a source for these $50 bulbs? 

If I can’t find a bulb, 

Might be time to upgrade to some LED lights. 

Anyone upgrade to LEDs using the PIAA wiring harness or upgrade using a different brand / kit, etc.

any recommendations??? Like to stay around $200 or less if possible.

thanks in advance!

I rigged up a cheap replacement using regular bulbs from HomeDepot. The lease is held on by silicon, i just separated the lens from the bulb and matched the halogen bulb. I think it was a H25, just make sure it is for 12volts. 

I am traveling to FART and can’t get to my notes about this. 

You should be able to find the same bulb version as a LED, for 12 volt. 

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, Bernie said:

I rigged up a cheap replacement using regular bulbs from HomeDepot. The lease is held on by silicon, i just separated the lens from the bulb and matched the halogen bulb. I think it was a H25, just make sure it is for 12volts. 

I am traveling to FART and can’t get to my notes about this. 

You should be able to find the same bulb version as a LED, for 12 volt. 

It's been a few years since I had PIAA's, so I don't remember the specific model number.  But I did the same as Bernie the last time I replaced my bulbs.  Home Depot has bulbs that work.  Makes it easy to find a replacement when on the road. 

RandyShields

Chatted with KenD this weekend at FART  about this when I noticed one of his 1100 had become completely clouded over with the ceramic material in the lights. He has had no luck finding replacement bulbs or units, even on eBay.  

I have found that Philip LED  bulbs from Home Depot fit as replacements for the PIAAs.  The face is not quite the same as the PIAAs but you will most likely be able to work around that.  In my case,  I found some cheap PIAA LED knockoffs that came with lens covers for my K a couple of years ago. They were cheap so I bought three sets.  Their LEDs were not as bright as I wanted. However when one PIAA  bulb died on my R1100,  the HD  bulb fit perfectly,  including the lens cover from the knockoffs.  Currently I have one PIAA bulb and one HD Philips bulb on the R1100. If you stare at the two lights long enough,  the PIAA bulb might be a tad brighter,  but it's really hard to tell the difference.  I now have two knockoff sets on the K,  with 4 HD Philip bulbs,  with orange filters over one pair. 

IMG_20190723_093359.jpg

IMG_20190723_093342.jpg

Cool ... Thanks for all of the suggestions.

There's a Home Depot near my office ... wouldn't you know it. "Not in Stock" errr!

Oh well, ordered 3 of the Philips bulbs, should be at my doorstep sometime tomorrow.

Bulbs arrived on Saturday morning. Installed one, need to pick up some silicone to fill the very small gap around the bezel and keep water out. 

I happened to stop in a Menard's and they had a similar bulb but brighter, it was 75w and 700 lumens. 

The MR16 is the connection / prong size.

The lights are so old and to my knowledge PIAA has not made the bulbs for 10 plus years according to the rep I talked to. Even if I happen to find a bulb or two, I will have the same problem down the road, so to speak......I have purchased some LED lights to replace the lamps I have. Yes you can just buy the LED lamps and use your PIAA wire harness. Twelve volts is twelve volts, the harness will work just fine. I have done that on past bikes when I could no longer find bulbs. To bad I did not find the Home Depot bulbs before I ordered the replacement lamps.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:20 AM, Kirkus said:

Bulbs arrived on Saturday morning. Installed one, need to pick up some silicone to fill the very small gap around the bezel and keep water out. 

I happened to stop in a Menard's and they had a similar bulb but brighter, it was 75w and 700 lumens. 

The MR16 is the connection / prong size.

Another option,  which might be better than caulking to seal the lights would be to visit a hose shop. They will have an excellent variety of gaskets and possibly some that will be a perfect fit for circumference of your Home Depot (or Menard's) bulbs. 

I am interested in trying the Menard's bulbs. 

• 4 months later...

So I was looking for a set of PIAA 1100x bulbs with no luck ;( , According to PIAA they have been discountinued for 4 years 

What I was able to do  was find a MR16 LED Bulb  ( according to PIAA this is the bulb they used )

(I got the" FELT Electric LED Landscape 50 watt Bright white")  there are rated for ( outdoor ) garden lights.

I took out the old bulbs , carefully ( with an exacto knife thinnest blade you can find ) cut the caulk that holds the PIAA dome cover to the bulb, go slow and be patent the dome is glass and will crack and chip if you force it to much ( small chips are not the end of the world because of the way the housing works )  , it also has a ridge on the inside so you can't just poke the blade thru :) .  

Then I ran a bead of clear silicon caulk around the lip of the PIAA dome and set the bulb on it ( a small plastic measuring cup holds the dome perfectly ) There is a metal retainer the holds the lamp to the dome , there is also two silicone pads that you reuse. 

These are 3000K so they are more yellow ( to my eye )  than the PIAA lights and 550 Lumens and 40 degree spread , I like what I see in the garage so far they are much cooler to the touch also. 

Sorry I don't have more pics my phone died mid project but here is the finished look and the inside

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-1.jpeg