IGNORED

Cam tensioner casket

strataj

BoxFlyer says I need to use a copper casket, I don't have that size but do have it in aluminum since it's the same as the oil drain.  What is the reason for copper only?  I wanted to check my cam timing this weekend before heading out on a trip.

3 hours ago, strataj said:

BoxFlyer says I need to use a copper casket, I don't have that size but do have it in aluminum since it's the same as the oil drain.  What is the reason for copper only?  I wanted to check my cam timing this weekend before heading out on a trip.

Afternoon   strataj

I'm not sure what gasket you are talking about? Are you referring to the cam chain tensioner gasket ring?

If so then those tensioners have a spring under them so the gasket ring thickness effects spring tension.   

If something else other then the above then try to explain what you are dealing with in more detail.

Even thought I don't usually recommend it__ On copper sealing rings, if I don't have a new one handy, I just heat to a dull red then allow to cool (that anneals it back to usable again),  then a few strokes on a Scotch Pad to remove any oxidation & back in use again.  

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon   strataj

I'm not sure what gasket you are talking about? Are you referring to the cam chain tensioner gasket?

If so then those tensioners have a spring under them so the gasket thickness effects spring tension.   

If something else the try to explain what you are dealing with in more detail.

Even thought I don't usually recommend it__ On copper sealing rings, if I don't have a new one handy, I just heat to a dull red then allow to cool (that anneals it back to usable again),  then a few strokes on a Scotch Pad to remove any oxidation & back in use again.  

Yes DR it is the cam chain tensioner gasket. 

Thanks so much your explanation is just what I needed.