IGNORED

Will I get my iPhone back?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
  • Leaving a  prospect's office in Roselle, IL yesterday, must have dropped my phone.  I realized it after driving about a mile.  I retraced my path but didn't find it.  The phone could only be accessed by fingerprint or 4-digit code.
  • My business card with address and email are clearly visible in the case.
  • Arriving home, I used Find My iPhone which located the phone in a subdivision in Hanover Park, IL.  It didn't get there by accident. 
  • Using FMI, I set a message to pop up on the screen that the phone was lost with Ruth's tel#.  
  • I didn't request an erasure of the phone thinking the person with it might call or email.
  • Later, using FMI, I saw the phone was turned off and got a message, "The phone will be erased the next time it's turned on."
  • Using FMI, I could see the house, street, etc.
  • Using the Dubois Co. GIS, I located the house and got the owners' names
  • Using Whitepages, I used the names to get a VOIP tel#
  • I called, leaving voicemails and texted that we could work this out.  I'd pay a reward and asked that, if they had the phone, to reach out to me.  
  • Crickets...
  • This morning, using FMI again, I saw the phone was turned on at 2am this morning at which time it was completely erased by Apple including credit cards in ApplePay
  • I emailed the Hanover Park PD telling them what info I had from FMI, google maps, DuBois Co. GIS and Whitepages, asking them to make a call to ask if someone in the household had the phone.  I did not accuse nor do I expect the PD will do anything as no law has been broken.
  • FMI showed the phone moved overnight from the driveway of the house to a shed behind the house.
  • Again, this morning, I vmailed and texted to VOIP # asking anyone to call.  If someone called and said, "We don't have it".  It's over as there's no certainty they do have it. 
  • Crickets
  • This afternoon, I'll ask Verizon to remove the phone from our account and report it lost/stolen
  • Shitheads!
  • I'll be going back to the prospect's soon and you can bet I'll be knocking on this door.

image.png.e78715bf53dd9338dc8c4f9a447d54c5.png

image.png

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta

Oh, man!  A fellow with the very same name as the owner of this property is listed as a registered sex offender.

Could be it's not the same fellow.

Could be but the registry shows this address.

Could be no one there has my phone.

Could be frogs could fly if they had wings.

image.png.334ffb81a1e9aa988869b71db2a36e13.png

• Haha 1

I think I would have short circuited the process at about step 4 once I saw that it had moved and gone knocking on the guys door, maybe with the cops in tow.  

The thief is probably not too tech savvy, otherwise he would have figured on it having some sort of tracking enabled.  Any cop buddies that can take a ride with you?

He's not a thief at least in this case, he found it laying on the ground. But he's not a good Samaritan either and thinks it'll be of some value to him. If it's got a 4 digit code and thumb print it's old tech anyway, a new XR is only $5-600. I'd stay away from the bozo and chalk it up as a loss. Write it off next year : )

knocking on the door of a not so honorable person could easily escalate quickly.  I recommend you get the local Sherriff to go with you or disengage. PD unlikely to help you. 

• Like 2

John - Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your phone loss.    Unbelieveable to me that there are so many unethical people out there!   If you cannot get a law enforcement officer to help you, I agree with Bill (@Roadscholar) "stay away from the bozo and chalk it up as a loss". :cry: 

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

I think I would have short circuited the process at about step 4 once I saw that it had moved and gone knocking on the guys door, maybe with the cops in tow.  

The thief is probably not too tech savvy, otherwise he would have figured on it having some sort of tracking enabled.  Any cop buddies that can take a ride with you?

I'm in Indianapolis.  The suspect is in the Chicago burbs.  Ain't driving 500 miles to retrieve a 3 y/o phone.  Got a new 11 on charger now.

Verizon guy said they'd report the phone lost/stolen.  That renders the SIM in the phone useless and toasts any new SIM put in the phone.  Hope so.

• Like 4

Even if it was someone within 10 or 15 miles, it is best to let it go after your attempts to contact them by phone went nowhere.  Too many crazy folks out there these days with seeming minor confrontations resulting in someone pulling a gun and shooting. 

John Ranalletta

So, after badgering with vmail, text & a copy of my email to the Hanover Park police, the wife of the guy who found my phone calls. Seems they didn’t realize it was my phone despite being able to read my business card in the case. Assholes.  I think receiving a copy of the email I sent to the local LEOs today got their attention. Should have my bricked phone back in a couple of days.