IGNORED

RE: TPMS Replacement

Skywagon

There was a thread recently about replacing the ridiculously expensive TPS sensors.  I saw this article tonight on ADVRider.  This guy claims a way to do it with new units from a vendor. I hope posting this link is ok.  If not apologize in advance.  It looks like he did this on a GS but if it works on a GS not sure why it wouldn't work on an RT.  Comments?

https://advrider.com/aftermarket-r1200gs-tpms-rdc-sensor-replacement/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=09_18_2019

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

There was a thread recently about replacing the ridiculously expensive TPS sensors.  I saw this article tonight on ADVRider.  This guy claims a way to do it with new units from a vendor. I hope posting this link is ok.  If not apologize in advance.  It looks like he did this on a GS but if it works on a GS not sure why it wouldn't work on an RT.  Comments?

Afternoon  David

Might work OK on rear of RT but the RT front wheel has the valve stem mounted to one of the wheel alloy spokes so it probably won't work on front wheel.    

It's the difference between cars and motorcycles.

Cars need 4 sensors and there are bazillions of cars.  Less expensive aftermarket solutions are available because the size of the demand makes it feasible.  Wheels for cars are all basically the same, so not so many varieties of sensors as well.

There aren't that many BMW motorcycles out there.  Not really certain there is a standard motorcycle TPMS sensor, and of course as noted there is the air valve in wheel spoke issue.  There is also the fact that BMW parts come from Germany ... that alone makes them expensive.  Smaller market equals higher prices.  ECON 101.

I like TPMS ... blasting along following MotoGP in Indy a few years ago, got flashing dash light in rural Indiana.  No other symptons ... yet.  Big screw in rear tire.  Saved my bacon I think.  Worth the cost.

Prior to retirement, I worked in US Nuclear weapons industry.  We termed our products "wood bombs," which means they are designed to sit in stockpile for years and years and then if required work immediately with no particular setup required.  Therefore, components are tested and tested and tested and designed to assure reliability.  Shaken, stirred, heated, frozen, on and on.

Consider a TPMS sensor ... the environment it sees in use includes wide temperature variations and for sure lots of vibration and shock.  I can think, however, of little reason for the design criteria of one of these sensors to include component robustness such that any components will live much longer than the life of the battery.  Talk about expensive if they did.  Nobody that makes these things approves battery replacement. It's an idea based on not much understanding of engineering design.

It's pay to play as regards TPMS sensors and they are very much worth keeping operating correctly.

BMW's TPMS sensors are made by Schrader, which is perhaps the largest automotive TPMS sensor manufacturer.  You can buy Schrader automotive sensors from a variety of sources for under $40 each.  However, for their motorcycles, BMW has a exclusive agreement with Schrader, and the sensors can only be bought from BMW.  With their monopoly, BMW can set the price to whatever they choose.

• Like 1

Ikchris said:

"Consider a TPMS sensor ... the environment it sees in use includes wide temperature variations and for sure lots of vibration and shock.  I can think, however, of little reason for the design criteria of one of these sensors to include component robustness such that any components will live much longer than the life of the battery.  Talk about expensive if they did.  Nobody that makes these things approves battery replacement. It's an idea based on not much understanding of engineering design."

Hey, Ikchris,

My TPMS sensors, on 5 bikes and 3 cars, all aftermarket external TPMS systems, have been running for three years with one battery change done and expecting another any day.  When one battery goes, I replace all of them.  ZERO fails from sensors or displays.

I posted more of my experience on ADVRIDER forum linked in OP above, 3rd comment.

interesting comment on environment.  I have a couple of boat trailers.  One pulls a 10,000 boat.  I have TPMS sensors on all wheels.  It gets dunked in salt water and fresh water as trailers inherently do.  Its' never in the water very long, but at least 3-5 minutes many times a year.  I've taken them apart when they died and replaced the battery...much like a thread Terry commented on a while back.  When they aren't in the water the trailer is in a dry dock though 365 days of Texas heat and humidity.  I've never had one fail other than battery. I forget who the mfg is.  Six sensors came with a small panel.  

P.S if I threw away all the devices that say battery not replaceable I would have thrown away lots of gear over time....Most recently my Sena battery I replaced even though Sena says not possible.  My first Ipad, iPhone, Ipod, ELT, etc....all say no Bueno but I've replaced the batteries in all and they are still going.  

• Thanks 2