IGNORED

H.E.S problem (ot the wireing)

GRIPPY

I had the classic symptons of poor wireing insulation i.e. no start,no spark.tach bouncing around when ignition on. Sent away to be rewired. When tested the wireing was in good shape but rewired as precaution. The cover where the H.E.S plugs in had been cut off at some time so it looks as though it was moisture in the connector but why an open ended boot? Would not silicon or similar be better protection?

2 hours ago, GRIPPY said:

I had the classic symptons of poor wireing insulation i.e. no start,no spark.tach bouncing around when ignition on. Sent away to be rewired. When tested the wireing was in good shape but rewired as precaution. The cover where the H.E.S plugs in had been cut off at some time so it looks as though it was moisture in the connector but why an open ended boot? Would not silicon or similar be better protection?

Afternoon Grippy

Is this what you are referring to?

Jlj5a0u.jpg

If so then the open end it more than likely to allow any moisture or water that enters  to easily exit. If it were  closed then it would have to be totally sealed (then it would be extremely  difficult to assemble during  assembly-line engine install). It is only a shield not a waterproofing cover.

In my opinion the proper (re best way) is to do like the auto companies  & use sealed terminals with sealed connectors  (totally moisture tight & very easy to snap together at vehicle assembly). Possibly something like a sealed multi-terminal Weather-Pack.

Yes that has been cut off from my bike.All the connectors look pretty vulnerable to me. This connection is the only one with any shielding. And yes weather proof connectors are used extentively on cars.I will probably make a plastic cover and dielectric grease and see how it goes.

8 hours ago, SAS said:

What about using dielectric grease inside of connector to keep moisture out?

Yes i will do that on them all. But at least I know to check the plug in future. I had the problem in a hotel car park after a thunderstorm, bike was drenched.

Ya this may sound extreme but I always carry my cover with me as part of the bike gear and use it at night as here in the west you never know when it might get moist.  

On 9/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, GRIPPY said:

Yes i will do that on them all. But at least I know to check the plug in future. I had the problem in a hotel car park after a thunderstorm, bike was drenched.

Ya this may sound extreme but I always carry my cover with me as part of the bike gear and use it at night as here in the west you never know when it might get moist.  

I know the feeling I was on a trip and in the middle of timbuck knowhere and after breakfast all my buddies got going and I was still in the parking lot with a bike that would not turn over.  I only had the bike 3 months.  One of my buddies came back to see what was going on, I was livid that the bike would not turn over, and he           pointed out that the kickstand was still down:4607::3:

5 hours ago, SAS said:

I know the feeling I was on a trip and in the middle of timbuck knowhere and after breakfast all my buddies got going and I was still in the parking lot with a bike that would not turn over.  I only had the bike 3 months.  One of my buddies came back to see what was going on, I was livid that the bike would not turn over, and he           pointed out that the kickstand was still down:4607::3:

Well an easy fix at least....I got the bike started just as CAA arrived,Luckily the sun came out so I angled the bike on the sidestand to get full heat from it. I tried it one more time as he arrived (battery on it's last legs)and it fired up:classic_biggrin:.