IGNORED

Prevent low siding with jets?

Whip

I could have used this yesterday.  I had retracted the side stand to move forward from a sloped bad parking spot and forgot to deploy it when placing the bike on to the side stand again.  As the weight got way over the center of balance my right leg quivered under the weight and realizing no save was to be achieved I let my bike down as slowly as possible.  If I had the jet blaster save button I could have saved it.  

I though that at first too, but then thought it was supposed to apply downward force and counteract the bike’s desire to slide/low side because of the rocks. 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Looking at the picture looks like its going to blow him over not save him.

Afternoon  David

I'm not sure if it is a real deal or just a fantasy but the picture shows the thrust below the instant center of gravity so with the bike leaned over the (theoretical idea)  looks to be using the outboard thrust to apply more downforce to the side of the tire tread area that is contacting  the pavement (makes the tires stick to the road better).

I would also apply more downforce to the top of the bike  but due to the thruster location so low then way more force should be added to the tire area than up top. Hopefully a rider that is ahead of  end-event could counteract the thrust to the upper bike area with more lean-in or more steering input.

By looking at  the riders poor riding  position on the bike & the lean of the bike I do believe that he is going to need more than some darn thruster to save his butt.

• Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/18/2019 at 1:51 PM, dirtrider said:

I'm not sure if it is a real deal or just a fantasy

Somehow I missed this whole thread when it was posted a couple of years ago.  And then today my brother sent me this video of a prototype test, which was in the article that Whip linked to and may go a long way toward answering your questions.

Similar to electronic stability control for cars, the key is to sense the skidding and apply corrective action before the situation becomes irredeemable.  In this case, the bike's lean angle hasn't changed much before the thruster kicks in and restores traction.  Ideally the whole slide/recovery experience would seem like nothing worse than running over a tar snake on a hot summer day: startling, but nothing that puts your ass on the pavement.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I've had that experience hitting the tar snakes in July, and the sand snakes after/during a rain, gravel patches, iol/grease, wet leaves, painted stripes, etc.  It's a good heart healthcheck.

Not sure the pros outweigh the cons.  The cons appear to be the weight and bulk of the system, accedental discharge (or at the wrong moment),  threat to bystander or fellow rider in the area of the discharge, and costs (hardware, bike mods, install labor, recharge).

The test rider appeared to straighten-up for a short distance increasing the diameter of his line.  Maybe that was anticipation or maybe a direct result of the jet.  Either way, THAT could cause a bigger problem, i.e. running off the road or into the other oncoming lane.

Or, we could just ride around with that rolling bedframe thing around us.