IGNORED

Should the 'Work Horse' sleep standing upright or laying on it's side?

Turbosneeze

Turbosneeze

My work has me travelling a lot, but lately, the trips have gotten to be longer and longer bncry.gif. Thus, I need advice on how I should park my RT when I am on the road for months at a time. Should it be parked on the centerstand (I am concerned that leaving the shocks fully extended for a long period of time will cut down on it's life) or on the side stand (risking flat spots and oil accumulating on the left case)? This might sound like a dumb question confused.gif, but any input will be helpful. Thanks.

ShovelStrokeEd

Two fears with no basis in fact.

I leave my bikes on the side stands as I can park them closer together in my garage. I have yet to flat spot a tire. It just doesn't happen.

The shocks don't care what position you leave them in. Why should they?

Now, as to whether the bike will be pissed off at you for leaving it while on a trip, that is another matter. Spring is here, with summer shortly to follow, take the bike. You'll both be happier.

I think I read in the manual that the bike should be on center stand. On side stand the oil drops to one cylinder and sokes the gasket.

DavidEBSmith

No, it's not in the manual. And no, the oil doesn't drop to one cylinder and soak a gasket. (What gasket?) Look at your oil sight glass. Look at where it is with respect to the cylinder. Look at where the oil level is when it's sitting on the sidestand. Oil seeping into the cylinder ain't happening to any significant degree.

I'm probably adding to baseless facts here. I always store my bike on the centerstand with the rear spring preload backed off fully in the belief that over the years the spring will sag out less. I think modern springs likely don't take a set, at least not within the lifespan of the damper it is attached to. I use the centerstand anyway, because it makes me feel that I unloaded the spring while not in use.

Now, if you’re by the ocean and the air is damp and loaded with salt, there may be other kindnesses to prevent the bare aluminum surfaces from corrosion that are more important to consider.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, lets put the spring thing to bed. Springs lose there tension due to breakdown of the mechanical properties of there steel over time caused by the flexing they undergo. Therefore, no motion no wear.

Seals, on the otherhand, don't like sitting in one position, they will take a 'set'. Depending on the material, Buna and Viton seem to be popular, and the amount of tension on the seal and more importantly if the linkage to the shock is poorly designed, any side thrust against the sealing face, the seal life may be impaired by sitting still. Note: position of the stand has no bearing on this.

The biggest enemy to your shock seal is dirt. Effluvia from the rear wheel in particular thrown up on the shock can quickly degrade the seals. Only legitimate reason to fit a hugger.

Oil running into cylinders, oil soaking gaskets, tires going square.....what's this all about?

Park your bike in a manner most convenient for you.

However, those of us with non-gelled, lead-acid batteries may want to consider the center stand.

When leaned over, the battery electrolyte does uncover the top of the plates, especially if your electrolyte level is at the low marks. This can lead to early battery problems.

Keep those plates covered at all times...and that means the center stand.

My work has me travelling a lot, but lately, the trips have gotten to be longer and longer bncry.gif. Thus, I need advice on how I should park my RT when I am on the road for months at a time. Should it be parked on the centerstand (I am concerned that leaving the shocks fully extended for a long period of time will cut down on it's life) or on the side stand (risking flat spots and oil accumulating on the left case)? This might sound like a dumb question confused.gif, but any input will be helpful. Thanks.

Remember, there are no dumb questions on this sight....but, there are some dumb answers........just look at some of mine!!!

Archived