IGNORED

Water at the fuel filler

Dave P

96 1100RT, washed her the other day, and the next day when I gassed up I noticed water inside the gas filler area. Don't think i got any water in the fuel, but i wonder if i need to replace a gasket up there. There is a 4" ring that was holding water. Ideas? Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

The drain from that area must be blocked or the small rubber pipe may be kinked en route to the outlet (one of the 3 drains beind the rear brake pivot). 

Washing your bike??  Don't talk about that in front of my RT :>)

The fuel filler neck has a small hole in it.

This is connected by a small (10mm od) 'rubber' tube on the inside of the petrol tank.

The 10mm 'rubber' tube runs to a metal fuel pump flange on the central rib of the tank, then back to rubber again, where it is routed down to the RHS of the rear wheel. 

Often the feedthru section (marked 'Drain' on the image below) of this metal fuel pump plate corrodes and becomes blocked. 

You could try gently applying air the the drain port in the filler neck and see if you can blow out the obstruction, but be careful, you don't want this tube blowing off its mounts inside the tank.

Normally it requires draining the tank, removing the fuel pump plate, removing the hoses and mechanically cleaning out the obstruction.

plate.jpg

Thanks to Largiader for the image. (http://largiader.com/articles/fueltank/)

2 hours ago, Dave P said:

96 1100RT, washed her the other day, and the next day when I gassed up I noticed water inside the gas filler area. Don't think i got any water in the fuel, but i wonder if i need to replace a gasket up there. There is a 4" ring that was holding water. Ideas? Thanks, Dave

Afternoon Dave

The filler ring drains down  through a small hose running through the  interior of the fuel tank, then through a small metal fitting (through the fuel pump pass-through), then out a hose from the pump pass-though to exit behind the rider R/H foot peg.

The usual place that the  water drain plugs is in in that metal fitting going through the fuel pump pass-through).

Water tends to settle/stay in that metal pass through fitting then corrodes the inside of the fitting therefore blocking the fitting.

You can try spraying some WD-40 into the filler ring drain hole but if it is blocked then the WD-40 won't reach the corroded area.

Sometimes lightly blowing compressed air in the drain hole will clear it, but only if a very light blockage. Caution: don't use high pressure air or you could blow the small diameter hose off inside the fuel tank.

Best to blow backwards (from foot peg drain hose upwards) as that way if you manage to blow a hose off it will be on outside of the fuel tank not inside the tank.

If it stays blocked & you really want it open then you will probably have to remove the fuel tank then work a small drill bit into the pass-through fitting to open it.  

Once open get in the habit of spraying WD-40 into the filler ring drain hole every once in a while as that can prevent the fitting from corroding shut again.

Thanks everyone- I've got some "under the tank" things to do on the old girl before I put her away for the winter, I'll probably just open up that access port on the tank and clean out that drain fitting. Dave