IGNORED

Left Hand Threaded Bold Question

Don Melvin

So I'm installing the stock mirrors on my new (old) 1998 R1100R and discover that the right hand mirror requires a left hand thread bold.  After exhausting all my local nut and bolt suppliers I order one on line and install the mirror but I'm still trying to figure why BMW would have used a left hand thread bolt on that mirror.  Wind force is going to work to loosen the bolt.....just can't make sense out of.  Maybe the bike was designed for use in the southern hemisphere and this was a bit of clever German engineering intended to compensate for the Coriolis effect...I'm stumped.  I'd really appreciate any insight into this puzzle from you folks. 

So that if the right hand mirror should hit an obstacle, it will be able to move away from the encounter.  If it was threaded conventionally it would hit something-someone and get tighter, probably not move at all and either break the mirror or the object-person.

35 minutes ago, Don Melvin said:

So I'm installing the stock mirrors on my new (old) 1998 R1100R and discover that the right hand mirror requires a left hand thread bold.  After exhausting all my local nut and bolt suppliers I order one on line and install the mirror but I'm still trying to figure why BMW would have used a left hand thread bolt on that mirror.  Wind force is going to work to loosen the bolt.....just can't make sense out of.  Maybe the bike was designed for use in the southern hemisphere and this was a bit of clever German engineering intended to compensate for the Coriolis effect...I'm stumped.  I'd really appreciate any insight into this puzzle from you folks. 

Afternoon Don

Possibly it's the other way around. They might have been more worried about the rider putting more turning force on the mirrors when trying to adjust them while  riding than the wind force.

I'm not sure that it matters as IF they are tight they are tight & shouldn't move  with either wind, or  adjustment, or contact.

49 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

So that if the right hand mirror should hit an obstacle, it will be able to move away from the encounter.  If it was threaded conventionally it would hit something-someone and get tighter, probably not move at all and either break the mirror or the object-person.

Thanks, I should have figured that one out.