IGNORED

2002 R1150RT Intermittant brake failure light

Bill Grids

My 2002 R1150RT  440000 miles has an intermittent Brake failure light that flashes. I have functioning brakes with the flashing light. But often after riding for 10-30 minutes the light will go out. On occasion the flashing light will change to solid (on all the Time) At that point I have zero brakes. the fluid is full NO Leaks. Anyone been there?  the ABS is an ATE unit. The flashing light after initial startup will flash sometimes for a couple of minutes and then go out and the brakes  perform normal. The lights are unpredictable as to when and how long they are on or go off again.

5 hours ago, Bill Grids said:

My 2002 R1150RT  440000 miles has an intermittent Brake failure light that flashes. I have functioning brakes with the flashing light. But often after riding for 10-30 minutes the light will go out. On occasion the flashing light will change to solid (on all the Time) At that point I have zero brakes. the fluid is full NO Leaks. Anyone been there?  the ABS is an ATE unit. The flashing light after initial startup will flash sometimes for a couple of minutes and then go out and the brakes  perform normal. The lights are unpredictable as to when and how long they are on or go off again.

Afternoon Bill

We need a little more info.

What is the yellow general warning light doing? Does it come on with the RED brake warning light?

How fast is the RED warning light flashing?  (1 Hz   or   4Hz).

Have you checked the fluid level in the reservoirs that are in the ABS module under the fuel tank?

RED warning light on constant just tells you that you ONLY have residual braking (no power braking & no ABS)

RED warning light flashing slowly usually means that it hasn't (or can't) run it's ride-away test (possibly malfunctioning wheel speed sensor or open in wheel speed sensor wire). Problem is, this doesn't usually give you a non flashing RED light & you don't usually lose power braking due to this.

thanks Dirt Rider

The yellow light is the light is not on

The red light flashes at 1hz

The fluid is full to the correct level front and rear

When the red light is solid I have almost zero brakes not just missing assist. I can pull the hand brake and the effort brake will all my might and it feels like there is almost no effect on slowing down the bike.

The symptoms being somewhat intermittent tells me possibly a connection issue. I sent the circuit board from the module to an abs specialty shop and they could not find any issues. The same shop I have used for (Corvette and BMW cars). 

I can start the bike and the red  light will flash, and when I depress the brake  the light keeps flashing.  The brakes perform with good assist,  then in 5- 30 minutes the light goes on solid and the brakes are gone!. It happens at slow speeds coming up to a stop sign at say 15 MPH and at highway speeds.

If I could find good diagnostic information or tech a video that would be great. I have called the dealer and they said the ABS unit likely will need replacing. I am going to Germany in November as a last resort I may take the whole abs control unit with me and see if there are and shops that can go through the ATE unit. I could replace the sensors and bleed the system but I hate just bolting on parts without checking for specific causes that others have found to be the reason for the same problem.

12 hours ago, Bill Grids said:

thanks Dirt Rider

The yellow light is the light is not on

The red light flashes at 1hz

The fluid is full to the correct level front and rear

When the red light is solid I have almost zero brakes not just missing assist. I can pull the hand brake and the effort brake will all my might and it feels like there is almost no effect on slowing down the bike.

The symptoms being somewhat intermittent tells me possibly a connection issue. I sent the circuit board from the module to an abs specialty shop and they could not find any issues. The same shop I have used for (Corvette and BMW cars). 

I can start the bike and the red  light will flash, and when I depress the brake  the light keeps flashing.  The brakes perform with good assist,  then in 5- 30 minutes the light goes on solid and the brakes are gone!. It happens at slow speeds coming up to a stop sign at say 15 MPH and at highway speeds.

If I could find good diagnostic information or tech a video that would be great. I have called the dealer and they said the ABS unit likely will need replacing. I am going to Germany in November as a last resort I may take the whole abs control unit with me and see if there are and shops that can go through the ATE unit. I could replace the sensors and bleed the system but I hate just bolting on parts without checking for specific causes that others have found to be the reason for the same problem.

Morning Bill

Still not enough info to tell you anything definitive.  (a quick guess based on my past history of working with these things would be a failing internal pressure sensor).

If you can get a GS-911 on that bike (or a dealers computer) then get the ABS/brake failure code(s) that might give us a direction.

Otherwise your best bet is to call Module Master & talk to them as they are working on a repair for the BMW I-ABS   (ABS III)  modules.

2006 S. Main St, Moscow, Idaho 83843, USA
  Phone 208- 892-0764
  Sales Orders 888-892-0764
  info@modulemaster.com

Bill, I had a very similar failure on my 02 RT it turned out to be a failed pressure sensor in the ABS module. I verified it with a GS911.  Where are you located, there may be someone near you willing to let you use a GS911.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, dirtrider said:

....call Module Master & talk to them as they are working on a repair for the BMW I-ABS   (ABS III)  modules.

You know, they say they have been doing that for well over 10 years now! Have they really got anywhere with the iABS unit?

There always seems lots of smoke screens.

5 hours ago, AndyS said:

You know, they say they have been doing that for well over 10 years now! Have they really got anywhere with the iABS unit?

There always seems lots of smoke screens.

Morning Andy

I have read of a few that have been repaired lately with supposedly a waiting list for current repairs (I have no first hand info on this just what I have heard or read).

MM supposedly finally found a source for the pressure sensors (again what I have heard or read but no first hand info)