IGNORED

Air filter

beamergirl

I'm gonna be installing PIAAs and while the tupperware is off, possibly the gas tank too, what about the air filter?

Just clean it and reinstall; replace it with K&N (or other brand), or just get a new BMW filter?

Anything else that should get a cleaning while in there?

Replace with a stock filter(I know! $35.00 list!!!) every 12,000mi. Vacuum out the filter chamber. DO NOT blow it out with air. You can blow dirt down into the injectors.

Bruce C

I'm gonna be installing PIAAs and while the tupperware is off, possibly the gas tank too, what about the air filter?

Just clean it and reinstall; replace it with K&N (or other brand), or just get a new BMW filter?

Anything else that should get a cleaning while in there?

Remove the filter, and blow it out from the INSIDE with compressed air. Never try to blow the dust off from the outside of the filter!!! All this will do is blow off some of the loose stuff and imbed the rest in the filter matrix.

At the very least, if you don't have compressed air, bang the filter hard on a block of wood (or similar) until dust stops coming out. But better is compressed air from the inside!

If you do this periodically, your filter will last a long, long time.

Bob.

De, while you have the side panels off, you might as well do the stuff that really makes up the bulk of the !2K service. All that means in most cases, is airfilter and spark plugs - done. Every 48,000 miles (12,000; 48,000, 96,000, 144,000) I'd have the valve clearance checked. The bike just does NOT need "maintenance"... like a "motorcycle".

I'm keen to change the crown wheel bearing in the final drive every 48,000 miles. IF they fail, so far, it seems they will do so before/near 60,000 miles. The cost of replacement of THREE of them is still less than the cost of one failure that damages the gear set. Within 144,000 miles we are REALLY likely to have that bearing fail.

Install your lights, change air filter and plugs, lube your pivots, and get on with it, Girl. Spring's here and it's time to RIDE!!

Best wishes.

Stick with the stock air filter. Here is one reason why I won't use a K&N. http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

In short, from this data, the K&N plugs up the fastest, passes more dirt by far than most any other filter, and traps the least dirt of nearly any other filter, and the only positive side is that it is slightly less restrictive than the stock filter for the short time before it starts to plug up. But for most of the K&N's short life, the stock filter is less restrictive.

Not all that surprising, really.

Bob.

Thanks everyone, will stay with stock. We have an air compressor, so cleaning filters out won't be a problem.

Dick,

Plugs I can do thumbsup.gif What kind are recommended? grin.gif

Crown bearing, never heard of it crazy.gif Sounds like something for Max's to do.

I'm riding, rode today in the rain; COLD rain - still thawing out eek.gif It's going to rain for next 4 days - so now's the time to do some of this thumbsup.gif Then it's off to VA clap.gif

Crown bearing, never heard of it crazy.gif Sounds like something for Max's to do.

A crown bearing is one of the bearings (there are 2, of different sizes) that support the crown gear in the bike's rear angle drive.

This is one of those things that if you have to ask, you are better off entrusting it to someone with experience.

Bob.

Archived